• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trouble installing lock and load console

Tulsa76bronco

Guys has anyone had issues with where the seat belt bolts are or the latch when installing this box I have stock seats. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 128

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, sorry 'bout that Tulsa. It's actually a common issue with all the metal consoles, but I don't remember off hand which way most people end up avoiding the issue, other than to raise the whole console up slightly.
Obviously a lot of us have non-stock seats too, that don't have the latch. And in some cases even the bolt holes are moved. But the seat belt bolts are probably still an issue on most others.
In my case, even without the console, I moved my seat belt bolt holes on the '71 due to moving the driver's seat back slightly. The seat in the '68 was moved back too, which might explain why I don't remember if there was a hassle installing the Tuffy. Guess I'll have to go out and see if I can remind myself what, if anything was done by the installer (904Bronco) for clearance. Maybe he'll see this and pipe in about it.

I don't think I've read where people have moved the seat belt bolt holes just for the console, but someone might have. Since I haven't installed the Lock-n-Load in my '71 (yet), I can't say what works best from direct experience.

With all that, I would guess the most common cure is to just raise the console up a bit on a spacer of some kind. I've heard of stand-offs (legs), simple wood plates sandwiched between the console and the floor, and probably several other ways.
Tuffy has an installation kit that includes some stand-offs, but I don't think they're tall enough and most people end up not using it and instead build their own in different heights.

Raising the whole thing often kills two birds, so to speak.
One is the belt and latch clearance directly, but the other is to allow the console to slide farther forward up the ramp of the tunnel.
Depending on the individual rig and the tastes of the owner, being able to move it farther forward might be enough to clear the bits you're talking about, but also puts it in a more comfortable spot anyway.

I'm sure those that have actually done it will chime in. I know it's come up before with this and the Tuffy and the Smittybilt consoles. I just don't remember in detail which cures were the most popular.

Paul

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Thanks dirt as always, love the console. I will see what others think also I haven't even put the front cup holder on yet if I did it would be even further back

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Would have been nice to have had this item in the recommended area of this console when I purchased the $285 console now I need to pay shipping for a 10$ part that I could have gotten at the same time. This console comes with a back plate that raises the back for uneven surfaces but it is way too high anyway

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have the lock and load console and had to modify it to hold my stereo,also had to raise it up a inch to get it off the floor and to provide clearance for the wiring.I used 1" square tubing to do this cuz I had some just laying around the garage so it didn't cost me anything.I like this console but it was not made for stereo mounting like some of the Tuffy consoles.Sorry I don't have pics but it was pretty easy to do.Also I'm not using original seats and seat belts,I had to custom mount all that too,all in all it was a lot of fabwork but in the end it was well worth the effort,but if I had to do it over I would go with the Tuffy since its made to hold a stereo. :cool:

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I also used the lift kit for that console. Think my issue was the seatbelt mounts on the floor. Absolutely love that console. Only issue, I was never able to change the combination on the lock. Used the paper clip per instruction, but never could get it to work. I am still rockin the factory set combination.

Brent

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Would have been nice to have had this item in the recommended area of this console when I purchased the $285 console now I need to pay shipping for a 10$ part that I could have gotten at the same time...

You're right of course. Assuming that kit is compatible with the LnL that is.
I like to think that we thought of it and found that they just wouldn't work together, but it could just as easily have been an oversight.
I'll find out.

But if it is and it would have worked in your case, don't worry about shipping. We'll take care of that part on this end.
Looks like I will be out again this week, but will pass this offer and discussion on to Matt so someone in the office knows whats going on here. So if you talk to him it should be smooth sailing.
Theoretically...%)
In the meantime though, I'll also pass the info on to the other interested parties to see if the parts are actually compatible and if so, add them to the web page's recommended category.

Thanks.
Sorry for the hassle.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Only issue, I was never able to change the combination on the lock. Used the paper clip per instruction, but never could get it to work. I am still rockin the factory set combination.

Hey Brent, did you ever get in touch with us to ask about another lock? How long has it been?
I'm not sure how big a deal it is to you, or even how much of a hassle it is to change it out, but let us know if you think you'd like to try. Someone there might even know how much trouble it is to change. Or we can ask someone that does.
Who knows? Maybe there's even a simple work-around.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Thanks Paul

Duke now that is a good idea on that entire bracket now if I just had the time......I might have to make time