• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

turning on its own

rock-n-bronco

Loc.
rapid city, SD
so i have no idea whats going on here. seal went on the steering box and i went and put more in the pump after i started it back up, it would turn on its own to the left. i held the steering wheel thought i would be ok but as soon as i got to 35mph i could barely hold it straight to go down the road. so towed it back home, took the cover off scraped off the rtv that the owner before put on, put in a new gasket seal, closed it up put more fluid in and steering stop leak, and it still wants to turn on its own. i tried to crank it from lock to lock to try and get the air out. it fights me to turn right but left it goes on its own. and this is sitting still and idling. anybody got any ideas? thanks

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
You must have a NASCAR set up! Sorry,couldn't resist.
I don't have a clue but I'm sure the answer will come shortly.
Welcome to the site.While you are waiting for info why don't you post all the stuff the gurus will want to know,like,what year,factoryPS? and the important ones like pictures,not that they are needed to answer your question......we just like pictures.

OP
OP
R

rock-n-bronco

Loc.
rapid city, SD
yes i guess that kind of ifo would help alot... lol and it would be a good nascar setup if i was making small 8ft circles and moving really slow... lol well its a 74 bronco, 3 1/2 in lift, rebuilt 302, 3 spd, 76 f-150 disc brakes on the front, rest is stock.

as for pictures... umm i dont know how to post them on this site.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
check on this site.become a contributor for 12$ a year.when you get to forums page,scroll down,last menu on right.how to become a contributor.money well spent...

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
There is a problem in the valveing assembly in the neck of the steering box. needs to be taken apart and cleaned and or o-rings replaced.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
OK me again lesson#2

Put your location in your post,that way if you don't know what to do to fix it someone may be close enough to give you a hand.
this site is full of very knowlegable,ready to help people.

OP
OP
R

rock-n-bronco

Loc.
rapid city, SD
ok im back to this project again. i have replaced the pump and lines and seal to the cap on the box. still having problems with it wanting to turn to the left real hard i have check the lines to make sure they were right. when i did the pump i pulled the res off and there was some fillings in there, so pumped the fliud out and going to open the box again to see if there is a bunch of crap in there. any other ideas that i should do?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Problem more than likely lies in the steering box not the pump. Check POPS and Steve's posts

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
Send it to a remanufacturer. You don't want to mess with that. Sometimes your local car parts store can send them for you

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
ok so anyone got a picture to show how that comes apart, schematic?

Here are a couple pics. If it looks like fun shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some instructions.

Attachments

• Bronco 527.jpg
    Bronco 527.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Bronco 533.jpg
    Bronco 533.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Bronco 531s.jpg
    Bronco 531s.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Bronco 535.jpg
    Bronco 535.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Bronco 537.jpg
    Bronco 537.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Bronco 541.jpg
    Bronco 541.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Bronco 539.jpg
    Bronco 539.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 16

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Forgot to say Napa has a seal kit with all the o-rings and teflon rings. Part #7-123.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
Here are a couple pics. If it looks like fun shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some instructions.

It's not about getting your hands dirty. It's about your sanity. Taking it apart is the easy part. Then you have to put it back together and adjust it correctly. Let us know how it goes.