• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ultimate Luber Build

OP
OP
D

douglasmiller

Loc.
Menifee, CA
Just wanted to give an update. I still have not received my wheels from Stockton wheel. It has now been five months, when it was supposed to be 4-6 weeks. I purchased all the steel for my cage and shock mounts. Unfortunately, I need my wheels before I can really get into the fab work as far as tire clearances. I have decided to go with a 415HP 347 stroker from Ford Racing instead of the 408 I have now. The main reason for the change is the fact that I want to keep all the original sheet metal, and the amount of time I was going to put into sinking the motor down in the chassis was going to be more work than I think it would be worth. I think she will stll have plenty of power for what am doing. If anyone is looking for a nice start on a serious 408, I will be selling what I have. It is a CHP(Coast High Performance) Dominator Short Block(Rated @ 1000HP) All forged components with a main cap girdle. I also have new in the box Trickflow High Port Heads with 2.02"-1.60" valves. I want to get at least $4500 out of this stuff. Paid over $7000. Obviously all new parts. Spread the word if anyone knows somebody who is looking for a great motor that should make a ton of power.

OP
OP
D

douglasmiller

Loc.
Menifee, CA
I finally received my wheels after six months, when it was supposed to be 4-6 weeks. NEVER USE STOCKTON WHEEL! I took the wheels to the powder coater right away. Hopefully I can get things mocked up now and start the front hoops and the cage. I got my tubing and a bender a while back.

Attachments

• DSCF4631.jpg
    DSCF4631.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCF4632.jpg
    DSCF4632.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCF4634.jpg
    DSCF4634.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF4635.jpg
    DSCF4635.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 216

willtel

Well at least the wheels look good, it is just such a shame you had to wait so long for them. I still don't have a set of bumpers I ordered in early July.

What size and type of tire are you planning to use?

OP
OP
D

douglasmiller

Loc.
Menifee, CA
Well at least the wheels look good, it is just such a shame you had to wait so long for them. I still don't have a set of bumpers I ordered in early July.

What size and type of tire are you planning to use?

BFG KM2's 255/85/16. They are about 33.5".

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Thats ashame Stockton did that to you. I used them about 6 years ago to build some wheels for a swamp buggy and they got them out right away. Must be that whole customer service thing now.. except they haven't hire and India company to do theirs yet...

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
I finally received my wheels
Gives ya plenty of time to get stuff (other) ready. Congrats! but. 'S NOT right! When this first came up I suggested you didn't have to put up w/it (n still have suggestions that correct). Now U got em can U follow up so other's don't hafta go thru this? As I recall U weren't the only 1 the co. served this way...

OP
OP
D

douglasmiller

Loc.
Menifee, CA
Here is the finished wheel/tire combination I was going for. I am really happy with the way they came out.(Just like I pictured in my head for a change)

Attachments

• DSCF4652.jpg
    DSCF4652.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 392
  • bronco wheel.jpg
    bronco wheel.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 294

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'll be suprised how much traction those beadlock bolts give you when they're up against a rock.;D One thing you will find out if you take a LUBER rock crawling is rthat the front lock outs take a beating because they stick out of the wheels quite a bit when you run the narrow wheels.

OP
OP
D

douglasmiller

Loc.
Menifee, CA
You'll be suprised how much traction those beadlock bolts give you when they're up against a rock.;D One thing you will find out if you take a LUBER rock crawling is rthat the front lock outs take a beating because they stick out of the wheels quite a bit when you run the narrow wheels.

I wish there was a way to shorten those hubs. I am worried it will look a strange with the lock outs sticking out past the wheels.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
wow those wheels look really good. do you have hubcaps for the front with holes in them?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I wish there was a way to shorten those hubs. I am worried it will look a strange with the lock outs sticking out past the wheels.

You could get a pair of slugs for the front to shorten up the hub also. Would save you about an inch or so. There is actually a set for sale in the used section. I don't know if it's out there for the 44 but I know there is a "stub hub" kit that shortens the hub by ~ 2" for a Dana 60. It isn't cheap though.