• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ultimate Luber Build

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Damn I just looked where you lived. I read "Stockton wheel" and didn't realize they were so expansive. I'm sure there has got to someone closer to where it would actually be borrowing a hood.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
someone closer to where it would actually be borrowing a hood
3 here, but even further away.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's four months of wheeling, I'll never spend the $$ to powder coat a wheel either;D

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 229
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
OK Doug, time for a BUMP to the top... You havent updated this since last year... Lets see this thing. ;D

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Don't matter, dude...any rate of progress is bettern "OK".
I been @ it 27 yrs w/this 1 n U got me by a mile ;- }

Bluesclues73

BUMP! I used to LOVE your red ranger/courier when it was around! Awesome to see you're into the EB's too! Hope you've been able to keep chipping away at it bud, I've played with the idea of putting some desert suspension on my '73, but figured it best to leave that to my ranger instead... This build may convince me otherwise though!

- Eddie

OP
OP
D

douglasmiller

Loc.
Menifee, CA
Ok Guys. Sorry for the long absence. I have let life get in the way of my Bronco Build. The wheels ended up being an absolute nightmare. When I finally got the wheels from Stockton Wheel about six months later then promised, they would not hold air for any reasonable amount of time. I was promised time and time again that they were being rebuilt with the correct number of bolts and that they would also hold air, which would be a huge plus. About three months ago the owner of Stockton Wheel sadly committed suicide. At that point it was clear I was not getting anywhere with SW after several attempts to make things right. I end up filing a claim with my bank and got results right away. I end up dealing with the son in law of the owner, who listened to the whole story and quickly gave me a full refund. I had Allied Racing Wheels strip, cut and rebuild the wheel with their bead locks. I just got them back from the powder coater a couple weeks ago. I got everything mounted up in the evenings late last week and FINALLY put them on the Bronco this morning. I am super happy with the sizing of the 16" wheel and the 255/85/16 BFG's. The whole wheel situation really deflated my desire to dive into the Bronco, as I decided to basically build this thing around the wheels and tires that I dreamed up, trying to achieve a vintage look with functionality and top notch components. I am hoping that things finally working out on the wheels will light a fire under my ass to get things rolling on this build. I hope to be posting lots of progress pictures in the near future. I am planning on stripping the Bronco down in the next couple weeks. I will be getting the frame blasted and if pricing allows I will be getting the body acid dipped. Then I should be able to start some fab work and sheet metal repairs.

Attachments

• DSCF5083.jpg
    DSCF5083.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCF5084.jpg
    DSCF5084.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCF5085.jpg
    DSCF5085.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCF5086.jpg
    DSCF5086.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCF5087.jpg
    DSCF5087.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCF5088.jpg
    DSCF5088.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCF5089.jpg
    DSCF5089.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 552

Old School

Loc.
AZ
If it makes you feel anybetter, look up Stockton Wheel on Jalopy Journal's HAMB forum.

I don't think there is any company more hated and with a well deserved bad reputation.

I heard about the owners suicide too, it's sad that anyone would think that is their only option.

But, man, they stiffed hundreds of people.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Looks awesome. How did they work the front hubs? Hard to tell in the pics. What backspacing are those wheels sir?

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Nice!!! Those wheels would get a fire going under my ass for sure! Ready for next weekends update pics!!! Screw that, where's tomorrow's update;)

OP
OP
D

douglasmiller

Loc.
Menifee, CA
Looks awesome. How did they work the front hubs? Hard to tell in the pics. What backspacing are those wheels sir?

I found dead center of the cap, then cut a rough hole with a holesaw. Then I took a right angle grinder with a sanding drum to the scribe line and cleaned her up with a hand file. The back space is 4 1/8". I ordered the front caps with no script.

ncsubronc

wheel/tire/suspension combo looks amazing! perfect mix of keeping it vintage with some modern function. :cool:

OP
OP
D

douglasmiller

Loc.
Menifee, CA
wheel/tire/suspension combo looks amazing! perfect mix of keeping it vintage with some modern function. :cool:

Thanks. I'm hoping to maintain that theme throughout the build. It should be cool to look under the fenders and see some serious suspension. That is what I am most excited about.