• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

valve ticking

seedubau

Just bought a 1970 bronco a few weeks ago. it has a 351w, with heads from an 80s van i believe. Anyway there is a ticking coming from the passenger side valves. I pulled the cover and didnt see anything that immedietly look wrong like a bad spring but i went and cranked the motor several times and tested the looseness of the rocker arms and a few seemed to have greater play than the others. i was able to get minimal play out of all at one point, but I have heard that it normal without oil pressure.

What can i do to about the arms that might be looser and what else should i check for? Also the ticking sound doesn't go away when it warms up and it increases with rpm.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There are many causes/reasons for ticking. Normal wear and tear can cause the ticking so replacing rocker arms and pushrods is one way to cure. lifters may just be weak or the cam is worn. Oil is to thin. Low oil pressure can also do it could be worn oil pump but more than likely worn rod, main and cam bearings. If you have enough play lash caps can be installed on the valve stems to take up the extra slack. The 80's era heads have bolt down rocker arms you can make sure they are all torqued to spec.
I would try a slightly heavier oil or just change it if its been awhile and is close to needing changed.
Ticking sounds rarely go away when fully warm they usually make more noise as they get warm and its natural fo the ticking to increase with rpm as the valves are moving faster likewise.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Make sure it's not an exhaust leak at the manifold/header.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely. I had a ticking sound that turned out to be a loose spark plug once!
On the valve front though, older lifters can get a little gummy too, so running a solvent-based oil additive "might" fix it temporarily.
I know snake-oils have a bad rep (deserved in some cases) but they worked for me. Got rid of my ticking and lowered my oil consumption for a couple of years before I changed out the lifters and did a valve job.

Good luck.

Paul

Heus33

Bronco Guru
also make sure its not your fan blade hitting the shroud. Worn radiator bushings can allow the radiator to tilt inward towards the engine causing the fan to contact the shroud. Happened to me.

fstik

Make sure it's not an exhaust leak at the manifold/header.

X2!

I had an exhaust leak that got progressively louder; thought it was a lifter failing. Was starting the task of removing the intake manifold when I found the missing header bolt, and about a half a dozen that were loose. Replaced the bolt and retightened all the other ones... No more "valve" ticking!

OP
OP
S

seedubau

ill check the exhaust manifold. Its definetly coming from that area though I used stethescope and i can clearly hear it coming from inside the valve cover or possibly exhuast leak. Odd thing is that the motor was rebuilt by the previous owner and its one of the cleanest rebuilds ive seen, but the heads were pulled off another vehicle so he may have just cleaned them up. First thing im going to do is tighten rocker arms, anyone have the torque figures on that i only have manual for 70s bronco/truck right now.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm kind of like one of the others I say change the oil and put in a bottle of Lucus additive ..And don't use a Fram filter ..

WILDMARE76

Loc.
SAN ANTONIO,TX.
I had a ticking noise once and it turned into a burned valve guide and started smoking the problem was a blocked oil passage in the pushrod. Look into it is talking to you.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I had a tick once on an early mustang with a 302 that turned out to be nothing more than the timing marker ever so slightly hitting the balancer!
I about went out of my mind finding that one...

check the valvetrain, more than likely that's where it's at

Jonboy69

First make sure your exhaust bolts are snugged up. My 66 mustang would tick & thougth it was a bad lifter. would have to sinch up the header (Hooker long tubes) bolts ever so often. Thnat is all it was. I think my 73 bronco
ticked sometimes too.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Had tha happen to a 68 I had pulled the valve cover on the L side and couldnt find anthing wrong. I used a .010 shim put the oil clips on and started the motor and used the shim to see if I could change the sound no luck. I pulled the head and it was easy to find bad piston #6 it ate the block. I bought a 351W for it. And it just ticked like a lifter good luck with your's.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

DCrews

It sounded like lifter on my 347. Turned out to be #5 piston bottom skirt slapping. Hope its not this.:cry: