• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

voltage regulator question

camo36

Now i have already searched for this question, and i'm getting a few different/conflicting answers about how to wire this damn thing up. as far as i knew all was working well, until my batteries went dead...and i had my alt. tested and it was bad. so, i got a new one. put it in, and it still didnt have any voltage output. so i took it back to autozone to have it checked, and it was good. so the alt is good. it is a 1G alternator, so it has all the exposed posts on the back. i found a diagram for this alt on ford fuel inj. http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/public/alternator/1G-ALT_wiring.gif and it has a wire going from the "S" connection on the regulator to the Stator on the Alternator. and the "I" going to something...hot in run? i guess that can be like the ignition switch?

and i have also read on here, through searching, that the "S" should go to a switch, and the only thing hooked to the alt is a field wire, and the wire to the battery. And that the "I" port isnt really needed for anything important.

so i guess the question is...what IS the "S" terminal supposed to be going to? right now its hooked into a wire that leads into the ignition switch...and there is nothing hooked to the stator post on the alt. But, i'm also not getting any voltage off the new alternator (which has been tested and passed). And right now the "I" lead coming off the reg. plug is just hanging there not connected to anything. Is this OK?

thanks. i'm gettin tired of runnin to Autozone...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I can't get there for some reason but as I recall Ryan's diagram is wrong for a Bronco. S does not goes to the stator, and I doesn't go anywhere. Here this will help.

Attachments

• alt-reg.jpg
    alt-reg.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
C

camo36

i have S going to Stator, and I going to the ignition switch for constant power while running, and it works fine...i dont know...i had to replace the VR. and it all works ok now.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Run it however you want. The "I" terminal is only there to light a alt discharge indicator light which EBs don't have.

OP
OP
C

camo36

yeah that first link is exactly how i have it wired up. thanks alot guys