• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wandering Bronco

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
I recently lifted my Bronco from stock to 3" or so (old lift). At the time I did not realize I needed to mod the trac bar as well. Then I noticed the front axle sitting about and inch more towards the P-side. The Bronco rode Ok but I knew I shoudl fix it. So I got a drop trac bar bracket and installed. Now the Bronco wanders all over the road, especially at highway speeds. I have a 4 degree radius bushing kit that I am going to put in when I get the time. I realize it is a PIA of job. Could this be what is causing the wandering.

Also I had a few helpers when installing the drop trac bar bracket, my 5 yr old girl and 3 yr old boy were turning the steering wheel a bit when I was installing it, now the Ford symbol on the horn button is upside down (or as my 5 yr old says. "right side down".

Any ideas as to what is causing the wandering?

Thanks
Will

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Smedley, Did you bolt, or weld the trac bar drop bracket in place? Unless I bolt mine then weld it..it seems to move a little back and forth with just the bolts. Causng mine to wander. Welding it keeps it from gettin any play.Just a thought.

Blue71

fiscus

Loc.
montreal, QC
Get somebody to sit in the car and turn the steering wheel back and forth, while theyre doing this look over everything closely to see if something is moving that should not be.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If all you did was the drop track bar then the track bar and drag link may be out of alignment. this causes bumpsteer. basiclly the wheels turn left and right as the springs cycle. To go straight you need to counter steer the bumpsteer. So you are sawing the wheel to keep the wheels straight. This is usually felt strongly when accelerating (a definate turn of the wheel in one direction) and braking (a definate turn in the other diretion).

Welcome to the modified suspension gremlins...
If it's not one then it's the other. Or another. and sometimes several. Sometimes one leaves to be replaced by the other. But when you get it right, it's nice.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
To add onto broncobowshers post basically you need a drop pitman arm. You've fixed the trac bar but now the drag link is still at its lifted location which causes big problems so you will also have bumpsteer. And yes you need those bushings installed to get it to stop wandering you might even need 7 degree bushings.

j2indebt

Loc.
Kennewick, WA.
Front End Cure

I had the exact same situation as you are describing. I spoke with Dave at Wildhorse and he walked me through the fix. If you install a drop trac bar bracket you MUST install a drop pitman arm! As previously stated if the angles on the trac bar and drag link are not the same you will get bump steer and wandering, I know from first hand experience it sucks to the point of not wanting to drive it. Also you need to check your tie-rod ends, if they are worn they will add to the wandering. Make sure when you order the drop pitman arm you order the correct one or the ball joint on the drag link may not fit the tapered hole. Dave in the shop at Wildhorse is an AWESOME person to contact for tech questions. Good luck!

ransil

Bronco Guru
Get rid of the drop trac bracket and get an adjustable trac bar.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
i'm just going to sum up and restate what has been said. in a simplified manner to reduce the static.
options:
-bushings may need to be changed from four degree to seven degree. i recommend this.
-recenter the steering box. the youngins moving the wheel while you were working probably un-centered the box.

then you have to do one of two things. either:
-get rid of the drop bracket and use an adjustable trac bar, or
-get a drop pitman arm to compliment the drop trac bar bracket you are using

then, ensure everything is torqued down nice and tight.
HTH

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Did you align the front end? How is your tow-in? Camber? Caster? There are so many variables that it could be anything.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
yep what they said, Dropped pittman and 7 degree bushings. 4 isnt enough. I put 4s in mine and i ended up doing it again and putting 7s to get right. Dont forget the alignment.

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Thanks for the replies (and summary). Too many projects too little time. Fortunately I only drive 6 miles to work on town roads. So wandering is not too bad, although really bad on highways. Since the Bronco is my DD, I probably need a full weekend to get the bushings done. To sum it up. 7degree vs. 4 degree, recenter steering, drop pitman arm. Possibly adjustable trac bar vs drop bracket. Finally alignment.

Thanks
Again

75bronco08

Loc.
sublimity,oregon
7 degree bushings (yes)
the reason steering wheel no longer centered,is do to lowering track bar witch moved the bronco to one side.no big deal pull wheel and center.
(kids had nothing to do with it)