• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

warning! deadly! read this!

73bronco

WOW! I do stuff like that all the time. Now I am going to pay attention! That is just crazy!

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Holy cr@p, I use break cleaner all the time for tough clean up jobs... THANKS! This one is definitely worth passing on.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
yeah thanks.there was a article on this on norcal bronco site a while back.might have been the same guy.phosgene gas was a gas used by the germans in ww1.it is classed as a lung injurent and quite deadly.

bptommy

Loc.
Arlington, TX
this is why I always wear a mask when using brake clean and most any other solvent type cleaner ....even carb cleaner in the correct state can really mess you up...great article hopefully that guy didnt shorten his life and maybe it will help save someone elses..:-[

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Damn that is scary ...
A lot of the chemicals we use can pass through the skin also , brake cleaner being one of them. It builds up internally over time , with frequent use.
Had a mechanic buddy damn near lost his liver from spraying his stuff clean too much with that stuff. Docs thought he might need a transplant , if he could find one in order to survive. He got lucky and pulled through ...

Another point , rubber gloves , when used for chemical protection are meant to be disposable.
Learned that from a very good safety class our union put on. The chemicals do get into the rubber and the gloves are rated for "X" amount of time exposed to "Y" chemical. After that amount of time , the chemical is leaching through the glove and getting to you.
Point is , if you use the gloves and set them back on the shelf , two weeks later , when you put them on to wash the Bronco or whatever , you are exposing yourself to the chemical that is now INSIDE the glove.
Another thing to keep in mind ....

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Thank you for posting this.
I am a huge fan of Brake Clean and never really gave it a second thought until now.

Thank you;)

howiebilt

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is the chemical I usually look for in brake clean as I think it cleans better. Time to change to the non-chlorinated stuff.

I thought galvanized stuff was nasty to weld...

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Some refrigerants turn into phoesgene if its burned as well.
for sure R-12, not sure about the others that were developed when DuPonts patent on R-12 ran out.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I would have never known that and probably would have had the same thing happen to me at some point in the future. Thanks for the post.