• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH Trac Bar Riser install questions

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Something looks odd about that bracket. Did the trac bar bracket change fotr the 76-77 years? What year are your axles?

Here are a couple of pics from my '73 axle:

Yes the 76-77 is different but the riser was designed to fit all 71-77s.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
A full and complete review has revealed that the variation is on our part. The added gap which appears to be 1/8-3/16” creates a good ¼” gap between the bracket and the axle tube.

This is what I did to close the gap a little. With the bracket off laying on the floor I gave it a couple of solid whacks on the back side at the bend with a 6 lb. sledge. I held it back up to the axle and found the gap closed up, more at the tapered end, obviously we are bending the steel back toward the axle and it bent more out at the end. At this point I could use a piece of 3/8” round rod in the gap or whatever you have for filler and weld it up.

If for any reason this “fix” is not acceptable to anyone you are welcome to return the bracket for a full refund. We will be making a new batch but that will require a little time, likely about 4 weeks. Because I can see no reason not to use these parts we will continue to sell them and throw in a filler rod and an amended instruction sheet.

I also want to point out the benefits of our design. First the 3/8” plate is a huge hunk of steel and that’s the way we wanted it. This is what’s holding your front end in place from side to side. The axle brace portion of the bracket gives lateral support needed because of the additional pressure on the axle tube created by the raised position of the track bar.

For immediate help or additional questions call 209-943-0991. Or you can email direct at to sales@wildhorses4x4.com

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I didn't think about using round rod as a filler... was going to go get 1/4" plate that they sell in strips at the local store and weld that to the bracket, and then the bracket to the axle tube. I'm thinking that plus a shitload of fill welds will get it on well enough unless you thinka round rod would would work better?

I'll post up how it turns out- I don't intend on returning it, but I thank WH for their diligence, timely response, and the offer to take it back.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I didn't think about using round rod as a filler... was going to go get 1/4" plate that they sell in strips at the local store and weld that to the bracket, and then the bracket to the axle tube. I'm thinking that plus a shitload of fill welds will get it on well enough unless you thinka round rod would would work better?

I'll post up how it turns out- I don't intend on returning it, but I thank WH for their diligence, timely response, and the offer to take it back.

I just said round because i have a bunch of it sitting here.;D I also think it make a nice bridge between the part and housing.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I just said round because i have a bunch of it sitting here.;D I also think it make a nice bridge between the part and housing.

hahaha, touche sir! did you heat up the bracket before you hit it with the sledge? that mother is THICK!

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
WH riser on Tweety.

Attachments

• Riser 001.jpg
    Riser 001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Riser 002.jpg
    Riser 002.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 72
  • Riser 003.jpg
    Riser 003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Riser 004.jpg
    Riser 004.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 65
  • Riser 005.jpg
    Riser 005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Riser 006.jpg
    Riser 006.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
In looking at Shamu's riser and BroncoDriver99's trac bar risers, mine has to be modified somehow.

There are 4 bolt holes in the WH trac-bar riser, right? the existing trac bar bolt goes into the second hole (from the bottom) logically, and as fitted in the pics on this thread.

However, the third hole from the bottom is partially blocked by the stock riser, meaning I cannot utilize the third hole without cutting the top off the stock riser.

This leaves me with ONLY the top hole to actually mount the trac-bar. Is this the most common mounting location for the trac bar with a 4.5" lift?

I am asking because if I can avoid cutting off the top of the mount I will, but if I might have to use that third hole I should cut now while nothing is tacked or mounted.

Ideas?

[edit] I see pics of the riser with 3 holes and some with 4 holes?

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
In looking at Shamu's riser and BroncoDriver99's trac bar risers, mine has to be modified somehow.

There are 4 bolt holes in the WH trac-bar riser, right? the existing trac bar bolt goes into the second hole (from the bottom) logically, and as fitted in the pics on this thread.

However, the third hole from the bottom is partially blocked by the stock riser, meaning I cannot utilize the third hole without cutting the top off the stock riser.

This leaves me with ONLY the top hole to actually mount the trac-bar. Is this the most common mounting location for the trac bar with a 4.5" lift?

I am asking because if I can avoid cutting off the top of the mount I will, but if I might have to use that third hole I should cut now while nothing is tacked or mounted.

Ideas?

[edit] I see pics of the riser with 3 holes and some with 4 holes?

4. The riser is designed with two slotted holes which will allow mounting to all stock EB Dana 30s and 44s. The
lower hole will be used on all 30s and on 71-75 44s. The upper slotted hole is used on 76-77 44s. The holes are
slotted to accommodate variance from one stock bracket to another. The 76-77 front ends will have a anti-sway
bar mounting bracket welded to the front end which will interfere with the riser bracket. 99.9% of you will not
be running the anti-sway bar so just cut it off the front end. If for any reason you do not want to cut it off then
just grind the riser bracket to go around the anti-sway bar bracket. You can use the original track bar mounting
bolt for alignment. Test fit the bracket on the front end.

See full instructions here http://cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/1233 08-08-06.pdf

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Clean pics

Attachments

• Wh Riser 001.jpg
    Wh Riser 001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Wh Riser 002.jpg
    Wh Riser 002.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 67

jlong1974

I installed my WH riser bracket a couple of weeks back. It took a little time to test fit, but once you get it set it is great. Just follow the advice WH posted on here and you shouldn't have a problem.

James

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Update- got it all fitted, but had to cut the top off my stock riser so that I could get a bolt in the lower slotted hole if I need to later- if I burned it in without cutting the stock riser I would have only had the top most hole available. Using some 3/8" flat stock worked perfect to fill the gap along the axle's length... got it tacked in last night, hopefully will finish tonight or tomorrow. got tons of pics, just not at work :)