• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's it take to get a 5.8 EFI under the hood?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much lift, or hood bracing/removal or scoop is required to get a stock 5.8 EFI system to fit?
Just to be sure we're all on the same page, are you talking about using the full 5.8 EFI system out of a truck? Or will you be doing the usual modifications to the induction system to make it work far easier.
If talking about a full 5.8 truck EFI setup I'll go out on a limb to say that you can't get there from here. At least not if you have to ask if it can be done... ;)
Of course, it "can be done" and some have done it. But not without extensive modification to the hood. Even with a 3" body lift you still have to modify the hood.
Last one I remember seeing pictures of simply cut a nice clean hole in the hood and let the intake plenum stick out the top.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have seen a truck 5.8 EFI shoved into an early Bronco, once. What it took? Excessive body lift. As in the 3" wasn't enough, so they added a little bit more. On top of that they found an oddball fiberglass hood that was extra tall and held that height extremely far forward. In the end the throttle still rubbed the hood. In the end it was simply a bad idea that stubbornly refused to be defeated. I only saw it around once, then it was gone. I can only assume that it was given up on or reality set in and a better intake was fitted.

OP
OP
C

clintonvillian

Loc.
West Virginia
Just to be sure we're all on the same page, are you talking about using the full 5.8 EFI system out of a truck? Or will you be doing the usual modifications to the induction system to make it work far easier.
If talking about a full 5.8 truck EFI setup I'll go out on a limb to say that you can't get there from here. At least not if you have to ask if it can be done... ;)
Of course, it "can be done" and some have done it. But not without extensive modification to the hood. Even with a 3" body lift you still have to modify the hood.
Last one I remember seeing pictures of simply cut a nice clean hole in the hood and let the intake plenum stick out the top.

Paul
Oh .... I could make it fit...practicality is another question.

Yes a 91 truck efi. I need an engine for my 66 mustang. Thought was to swap my 302 over to it, and 351 into the bronco.

A local has the f150 dirt cheap and it's 2wd auto...that gives me the Trans I need for the stang...

I'm open to switching intakes. Would prefer to keep factory efi if possible. Could an efi intake from a 5.0 be swapped over?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Double check that 2WD transmission. A '91 F150 with a 351 should have an E4OD if Overdrive, maybe just a C6. Those would be a tough fit into a '66 Mustang.

BC once had an adaptor that would let you bolt a 5.0 mustang (the one that doesn't flow that good) onto a truck lower. Made for a running engine. As long as you were not asking for performance out of the package it should be a runner. Just don't count on a performer. That upper is a bit restrictive on a 5.0 and even more so on a 5.8 with extra choke points for the adaptor.

You do know that the EFI is just an add on to a regular 351 engine? You can toss all that truck EFI stuff and just use a regular intake/carb/ignition. That can fit. With just the right parts it can even fit under a stock hood without a body lift.

OP
OP
C

clintonvillian

Loc.
West Virginia
Double check that 2WD transmission. A '91 F150 with a 351 should have an E4OD if Overdrive, maybe just a C6. Those would be a tough fit into a '66 Mustang.

BC once had an adaptor that would let you bolt a 5.0 mustang (the one that doesn't flow that good) onto a truck lower. Made for a running engine. As long as you were not asking for performance out of the package it should be a runner. Just don't count on a performer. That upper is a bit restrictive on a 5.0 and even more so on a 5.8 with extra choke points for the adaptor.

You do know that the EFI is just an add on to a regular 351 engine? You can toss all that truck EFI stuff and just use a regular intake/carb/ignition. That can fit. With just the right parts it can even fit under a stock hood without a body lift.
I am willing to go full aftermarket...and that's why I'm here asking the questions.

Thanks for the response.

According to Jasper you are correct t about the transmissions....owner said an AOD and I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

I'm going to lookit over tomorrow...

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Bluntly if you want to make more (as opposed to less) power than a 5.0 (also known as a 302) adapters to fit a constrictive 302 intake onto a 351W aren't helpful.

It's too bad that the aftermarket hasn't stepped up to clone the infamous "Lightning lower" intake. One of those plus your choice of uppers, Cobra, GT-40, Explorer 5.0 (pick one, they are all close flow-wise) works pretty well for a 351W especially if you aren't drag racing. but good luck finding one for a not-insane price.

And then there is full aftermarket. I have a Trick Flow R lower and upper on my 408 stroker. I waited months for those parts. Good luck finding that combo right now, for reasons I don't understand. Edelbrock has made a similar combo. But same problem. Back-ordered into the next decade unless you can find used parts.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If the shifter goes PRN(OD)D1 it is an AOD
If the shifter (or probably on the dash for that year) has an overdrive off button, it is the E4OD

OP
OP
C

clintonvillian

Loc.
West Virginia
Bluntly if you want to make more (as opposed to less) power than a 5.0 (also known as a 302) adapters to fit a constrictive 302 intake onto a 351W aren't helpful.

It's too bad that the aftermarket hasn't stepped up to clone the infamous "Lightning lower" intake. One of those plus your choice of uppers, Cobra, GT-40, Explorer 5.0 (pick one, they are all close flow-wise) works pretty well for a 351Wf especially if you aren't drag racing. but good luck finding one for a not-insane price.

And then there is full aftermarket. I have a Trick Flow R lower and upper on my 408 stroker. I waited months for those parts. Good luck finding that combo right now, for reasons I don't understand. Edelbrock has made a similar combo. But same problem. Back-ordered into the next decade unless you can find used parts.
Is that Trick flow shorter?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Is that Trick flow shorter?
The opposite. It's not as tall as the 351W truck manifold but it sticks up pretty high. Photos below are of my old Explorer 5.0 and my current 408, with a Trick Flow R intake. The old engine fit under my stock hood with an old school 1" (actual 3/4") body lift. To clear the new engine I needed a true 1" body lift and a Wild Horses "Highlander" hood. Even then it barely fits. The contortion in the intake tract is to snake it down under the right side of the hood.

IMG_7744.jpeg

IMG_9260.jpeg

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
You see the lightning lower intakes pop up but going price is about 1k.
I just looked on Ebay. That's on the low side- one is listed for $1650. Trick Flow has a few of my R upper intake but they don't even show a listing for the lower, though there is one on Ebay for $900. Edelbrock is out of stock on theirs.

That is completely nuts. I had to wait months for mine, but I paid less than $750 for an upper lower combo.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
So…the trick flo goes on top the truck lower?
No. The Trick Flow R upper requires a Trick Flow R lower.

There's a lower on Ebay right now for $900, listed as a "1993-1995 Ford Lightning 5.8L Trickflow GT40 Cobra Intake Manifold 351W Mustang" which is way inaccurate. It fits a 351W engine but it's only compatible with the Trick Flow R upper.

This is the combo I have: https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-51511006
Trick Flow has a few of the uppers like mine in stock: https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-515u1105
But then you need one of these, apparently a unicorn right now: https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-515l0004

Last edited: