• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's With the Attitude?

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Why is it that when someone asks a question on this site that has already been asked a million times that people get shitty with them? I agree the search function is probably the best tool on here for answering a question, but perhaps many of the people who ask the repeated questions have tried the search function and couldn't find what they were looking for. I appreciate the fact that so many people have helped me on here, and God knows I have needed a lot of help, but if you don't want to answer the same question again, just don't respond. I would think the folks with the most expertise would be thrilled that some of the less experienced folks need/want their help. That is why we're all here right?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Who knows why......Just do what I do and ignore them and answer the question/comment if you want to.

Tuck

Hey, what's the matter with you??? This is on endless threads already,,,didn't you do a search?!?!?!

Just j/k...I agree with you 100%. Seems like attitudes have been up in a few threads on here...not like normal.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I think that there are a few reasons. I don't know how many times I have seen the "what gear ratio thread", or the "what size tire can I fit under an uncut" thread. That is fine, but when the next guy goes and actually tries to use the search function, he gets 150000000000 hits on the same topic. Then, you get people who don't want to search through all of that stuff - and bam, they go and ask the same question again. Very cyclic.

I try to answer when I can, and the topics that annoy me I stay away from.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Many of the threads are very cyclical. For example it has been a while since we have had our "anyone consider a powerstroke in a Bronco?" thread. We get them all the time. It has been a while, and we will go and hash it out again.

Depending on my mood at the time I will go from "ignore" to trying to help if there is a sliver of something new to inserting links to prior posts

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I agree with the 1st Sgt.

There's a been a few times I've not asked a question, just because I knew it had probably been beaten to death a few times already and I didn't want to get a lashing with the keyboard. However, certain topics like... gears, axles, lockers, EFI...etc...that people want to have a little personal level of opinion on because it's so expensive to do that stuff you don't want to screw it up.

Usually, I'll just search for a thread that covers the topic I'm concerned with and ask my question in that thread rather than opening a new one. It not only cuts down on "same topic" threads, but it also makes the existing threads a little more thorough for others that are looking for the same information.

I see both points but lean more to the side of...have a little patience and move on if a thread bothers you.

-Chad

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Hey, what is that plastic tank thingy in the rear quarter behind the driver's seat?

But yeah, I agree. Some folks need to show a bit more tolerance for newbie questions. But this site seems a whole lot better than some others.

dan12580

i completly agree with you but i think the attitude over on the for sale section is much worse then what goes on here. some guys are outright dicks to guys over rigs they have no intention whatsoever in buying. i avoid any attitude towards me by waiting around for some newbie to ask the same dumb questions i have .:cool:

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I agree the search function is great, i did not use it when I first got on here. But Yes, There is no need to get cranky with someone. This site is by far the best and most mature site I have yet to find on the internet.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If I'm being cranky I tend not to answer the question but Most of the repeat questions I answer I'll give the info but also suggest doing a search to get more answers. But there are a few people who have answered quite a few posts with the try a search line. I realize some people may be new to the site and not even know what a search is or how to do it not all of us are computer geeks us gear heads can barely use a computer but mine does have grease on it.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've started a library of threads I know I will need in the next few years so the crankier ones in our presence don't get the opportunity to flame my fragile soul... not! ;) Aside from the cranks, you all rock and I'm glad I finally found this site. It only took me ~13 years.

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL

hammer

Bronco Guru
I may be on a side bar here but I've gotten a lot of use out of the FAQ sections. I just wish each FAQ topic was a heading for a thread and then you could ask any specific questions right in that FAQ page. It would keep it all in one place and may even give the author an opportunity to update/revise the topic if need be. Always improving them, always making them more concise.

As good as they are there are a few that need a lot more work. If your installing a zf chances are it isn't a 2wd version and hooking up the hydraulic clutch may be an important step that needs to be included.

I realize that someone needs to write these and that takes time and knowledge. But why not add to them? It would save a lot of the over asked questions. (see disc swap)

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
no different on here than it is where you work and live. We all have issues and attitudes, just some more than others. Just the way it is. Way too many good brothers on here without an attitude to worry about those few with it. Ignore them and enjoy the best bronco site on the internet.

Warhead13

Loc.
St. Augustine, Fl
I usually search, read the threads and then ask the question again anyway... The existing threads on whatever topic are great, I'm glad we have a search feature but... I ask anyways just in case there is some new info out there. Sometimes those threads need to be refreshed if ya know what I mean.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I don't think I've been cranky about it, but it does annoy me when I know that there are links on this site that give people excellent directions for the thing they are trying to do, and instead they go straight to the forums. The forums are great for troubleshooting and individual advice, but if you are looking for a step by step how to, the FAQs, tech articles and web links are so much better IMO.

What we should be doing instead of getting cranky is just linking people to what's already been written.
Tom

green77bronco

Loc.
SAn Antonio,TX
I think this site is great. There's a couple of cranky people on here, but I don't think their that bad. I've stop posting on the Pirate site, because I was getting bashed for asking newbe questions. If it wasn't for this site and alot of patient Bronco people I probably wouldn't have my Bronco. But one thing I've learn to do is use the search button.