• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

where did the oil go?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I looked at a truck last night that was having tranny issues among other things. When I cranked it up to give it a test drive the valve train was crazy loud and i noticed 0 oil press. switched it off and asked the owner if it is always noisy and he said no. Checked the oil and it was empty. He said he had the oil changed and then drove it 2 hours on the highway and the shifting got worse and worse. I put 5 qts in cranked it up and drove it around. shifts hard 1 to 2 but will not go into 3rd. Could the tranny have sucked the oil in? could this be causing the strange shifting? (im sure 10w30 in a c4 would not work very well) It was dark so I didn't pull the pan. He's going to have it towed to my place so I can check it over but I'm confused about the non-existent oil and tranny behavoir, could they be linked.
If jiffy lube, or whoever changed the oil, and not added oil there is no way the engine could have survived the 2 hour drive.
The underside of the truck is clean almost no oil on anything. No oil or oily mess on the tailgate or under the hood and no smoke at startup or driving down the road...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
more than likely no oil was installed when it was done, Ive had that happen to my Dads truck, and seen it happen to another relative. Always check levels after fluid changes.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
It has always been my experience that fluid level affects shifting...too little and too much. Do I read correctly that the trans has 10W30 motor oil in it? If that is the case, that is not good.

X2 that if some place like Jerky Lube did the oil...they probably did not add any.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Too much going on.......

No oil and a 2 hour drive is something I find hard to get my thoughs around.

So he had the oil changed 2 hours away from his house and on the way home, the transmission started shifting worse and worse so he called you to take a look?

My guess is, they added some oil to the transmission then noticed what they were doing and finished putting the rest in the crank case. The use a system at thsoe places that put in the amout of Q's you tell it. Not like opening up the cans back in the day. heck, they don't even know if oil comes out when they tell it to flow. It prob had 2 Q's in the crank case and used some of that on the 2 hour drive home.

Motor is toast IMO, as damage was done. Trans might be too if they added (insert fluid here) to it and not ATF.

Tim

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You couldn't fit 5 more qts in a C4 and not have it pouring out the vent, even if it wasn't running. More than likely the direct clutch seal is bad.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This doesn't make sense. Starts off soundling like engine oil was way low. But comments about transmission fluid confuse me.

If the transmission goes low and it isn't leaking, that is almost always a bad vacuum modulator. Pinhole in the diaphram and engine vacuum sucks the oil into the engine and burns it.

But that isn't related to engine oil burning up on a long drive. That is either a bad leak (and you would know that) or the rings are shot and you are burning it. That much should be a smoke screen, or at least a light haze anyway.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
yeah it puzzles me too. the owner is not mechanically inclined so im gonna have to wait until he can have it towed to my place and start checking stuff

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. This whole story sound crazy to me.. 2 hours no way on a gas motor it would have dies . in 10 minutes.. Now Viper Wolf it's been to long for me but which way does the Modulator Valve suck the fluid . Out of the trans into burning it in the motor or out of the motor and trash the trans.
.. Sorry I don't think he drove it 15 minutes and I don't think he's being completely honest with you. As I worked as a service adviser some of the stories you get have to really re ask NOW HOW DID THIS REALLY HAPPEN.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A bad modulator diaphram can allow trans fluid to get sucked into the intake manifold and get burned.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
When I was running a Performance machine& boat shop in AZ I Had some of The Strangest requests. I kept looking for the Prize Patrol...LOL...People Will Lie Through Thier Teeths.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
My brother had a guy bring his car in with a frozen engine. The oil was clear full and clean,and not a drop in the filter....Hummmm,the guy learned next time he runs one out of oil be sure to fill the filter too.