• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WHERE'S the Subs

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Had the idea for awhile and finally got around to doing it.

I wanted a place to mount my subs that was protected by the elements and was fairly theft proof.

Took it all apart right after the photos to powder coat the seat frame in chrome and going to cover the MSD with black carpet to match or just paint them black, not sure yet.

Going to router slots in the front panel below the seat and cover with speaker material. I've already applied generous coats of polyurethane to the inside and going to line it with Dynomat.

The speaker and amp wires will run out the bottom and be concealed under the carpet.

Ought to be pretty cool when it's all done.

Attachments

• Rear seat-Front.JPG
    Rear seat-Front.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Rear Seat-Frontleft view.JPG
    Rear Seat-Frontleft view.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Rear seat-rear view.JPG
    Rear seat-rear view.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Rear Seat speaker view.JPG
    Rear Seat speaker view.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 197

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
Here! I just posted about it.

Attachments

• P7101108(2).jpg
    P7101108(2).jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 90
  • P7101102(2).jpg
    P7101102(2).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 76
  • P7101101(2).jpg
    P7101101(2).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 63
  • P7101089(2).jpg
    P7101089(2).jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 107
  • P7101088(2).jpg
    P7101088(2).jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P7101087(2).jpg
    P7101087(2).jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 80
  • P7101086(2).jpg
    P7101086(2).jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 119

ChappDogg

Loc.
Fargo for now
I like the subs

bowhunter said:
Had the idea for awhile and finally got around to doing it.

I wanted a place to mount my subs that was protected by the elements and was fairly theft proof.

Took it all apart right after the photos to powder coat the seat frame in chrome and going to cover the MSD with black carpet to match or just paint them black, not sure yet.

Going to router slots in the front panel below the seat and cover with speaker material. I've already applied generous coats of polyurethane to the inside and going to line it with Dynomat.

The speaker and amp wires will run out the bottom and be concealed under the carpet.

Ought to be pretty cool when it's all done.
What size are your sub's 10's or 12's look like 10's. I like that design and placement.

ChappDogg

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Started off with 12", but they wouldn't fit under the seat. So downsized to 10".

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Boy, you're gunna have your hands full with the laddies, they're gunna be fighting over that back seat! :-X
Just an idea since I've made plenty of bass boxes...
It might be a good idea to keep the speakers completely boxed inside. Not only for protection from objects and water but will increase the bass using large 3" air ports per speaker for the bass/air to escape.
I was thinking of just getting a bass tube a be done with it but I like your idea better.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I've got a set of 6x9 pioneers in floating around in the rear in their own little boxes. I would like to mount them somehow like mrcatt, but maybe use metal. Anyone done anything similar to that and had good success? Also where do you route the wires on a bare metal interior? Thanks!

J.D.

kcmacg

Loc.
Lafayette, Louisiana
74BroncoCO said:
I've got a set of 6x9 pioneers in floating around in the rear in their own little boxes. I would like to mount them somehow like mrcatt, but maybe use metal. Anyone done anything similar to that and had good success? Also where do you route the wires on a bare metal interior? Thanks!

J.D.

I saw these for 6 x 9's, they are for a Heep but they should work fine and you get a cup holder for rear seat passengers

Attachments

• p36229.jpg
    p36229.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 89

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
68 Broncoholic said:
Boy, you're gunna have your hands full with the laddies, they're gunna be fighting over that back seat! :-X

That is waht I was going to say as well. I am planning to do something like that when I build mine. Where are you going to mount your amp? I woould also suggenst switching you amp so you can turn your subs on and off. That way everyone will not know you have them unless you want them to know. For example you could turn the subs off when going to the store and no one would know you had subs. Then once you leave and are back on the road flip a switch and you have your bass back.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
kcmacg said:
I saw these for 6 x 9's, they are for a Heep but they should work fine and you get a cup holder for rear seat passengers

That's a good idea. I need to look at my cage. It might interfere. I wonder if that would mount on the front of the fender?? Where do you get those? Thanks!

J.D.

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
All I did was wood, and made them to fit behind the roll bar. It should be just as easy out of metal, just make a cardboard design first, and cut it out. More expensive, though.

Mrcat88

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Oh I forgot, my cage is drilled for overhead speakers from a TJ. might have to see if pull-n-save has a TJ on the lot... Thanks!!

J.D.

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Crossovers will go under seat with the subs.

I do like the idea of sub ports....think I'll snoop around the stereo shop for a pair.

Going to fabricate rear quarter panels using 1/2" DC. Install the 6x9's up near the front. The amps will be placed inside of the quarter panel on the right rear side, out of the weather and for security. My plan will be to soak the DC in POR-15, line it with Dynomat and then have it upholstered to match the seats.

Going to build the quarters soon as I get back from Florida. I will post pic's of the build.

Also going to purchase the Tuffy floor speaker box (5 1/2" RF) for the front under dash. Will have box sandblasted, and powercoated to match everything else.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
In my 98 F150 X-cab, I ran a similar setup. 2 12" Audiobahn AW1200Q subs. 700W RMS 1400W Peak Each. I was giving them half of what they wanted and they sounded phenonemal. Before you go and cut 3" holes for ports, you may want to measure your cubic inches of your box and make sure you have enough space for a ported box. Most subs require a lot of space for air movement in a ported box and less space for sealed boxes. I can't imagine that your box has enough space to port them. If you do port them, you could distort your sound at lower volumes then you would in a sealed box.

Not only that... Be prepared to go around your rig with a screwdrive and wrenches to tighten things down. Downpounding sealed boxes create a lot of vibrations through your chassis. Other then that... Have a blast... ;D ;D ;D

matt77

Loc.
Southaven, Ms
I'm just sharing this!If you mount the subs under the seat you will need to make sure they are completely sealed.I would only put one sub under the seat also .I did some measuring and there isn't enough airspace for 2 subs.I know that this would cost a good bit more but, you can go with 1 kicker solobaric square sub and provide it with 350 to 450 watts in a completely sealed,none ported inclosure that will mount under the seat,and it would sound better than 2 subs.When you buil your box you should always build it with at least 3/4" material if you want the sub to provide the sound it was designed for.I worked for a stereo shop for a few years and tryed all kinds of setups.I will try to post some picks of my housings I have in mine.I'm just giving info not trying to tell anyone what to do.

ehumaui

ya, I change my story everytime....400hp, 300hp, 350hp you know how it is, talk is big

VT_Don

hom bois

Wha be fo dat big speekas? Me and me bitches we be get'n down to dat killa rap muzic. Dunno how ta willy fix me ride, so gonna justa make it loud best eyes knows how. Be looking fo me cuse eye be bad with me hoes cuzing the pavement. latter mofus.