• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which 5 speed?

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am building a street only Bronco, and would like to install a modern 5 speed. Which is the easiest/durable one to look for? I know where I can get a T-45. Is that a good one to install? Is it durable? Please let me know. Thank you!

kntr

Bronco Guru
I loved the T5 I had in my blue bronco. It was out of a 91 Stang. It had a hurst shifter. I swear the front end would almost come off the ground when I shifted it real hard. I had it 65,000 miles and I never had a problem with it. It was great for the street and mild offroad. You have to run pretty low gears to be able to use the OD. I ran 4.11s with 33s and I think 4.56s or 4.88s would have been a lot better. The shifter comes out of the floor in the perfect position just right of the J-pattern shifter.

Here is a pic. I should have never gotten rid of that bronco. My buddy rolled it a month after I sold it to him. It is in the process of getting a restoration.

Legacy_seats.jpg

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The only option for a street/minor trail transmission is the NV3550 in my book.
Modern, great ratios for rush hour traffic and mall parking lots and an OD that isn't super high. Much better fit then the T5, which has issues with bellhousings and for some silly reason they put a twist in the clocking when they used it in the mustangs, but you have to unclock the transmission to use itin a Bronco. Besided most mustang T5s are trashed inside by now, even if they still work.

josimps2

greatguy57078 said:
Where does the shifter location end up with a NV3550?

It should end up at about dead center of the tunnel cover. It works out about perfect in my opinion. If you do a search for NV3550 shifter or something similiar there should be some pics posted of how it looks. It's pretty smooth. If you can't find one I'll try to get a pic sometime later today.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Pictures of the shifter location are in the tech article in the column over there on the left. Dead center, no cross member cutting, no under the dash tucking of the shifetr, etc. etc. Made for the Early Bronco.

kntr

Bronco Guru
A T5 will out shift a NV3550. When I say out shift, I mean you can really bang it through the gears. The NV3550 is another great 5spd if you like the way it shifts and the fact its out of a Jeep. ;)

Last edited:

BigSwede

Loc.
Baltimore, Maryland
How hard is the conversion from a C4 to a 5 speed when you take the NV3550 kit into consideration? I am assuming I would need a bell housing, pedal box, what else? New drive shafts? Hole in the floor?

Thanks

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
kanter said:
The NV3550 is another great 5spd if you like the way it shifts and the fact its out of a Jeep. ;)

Dosent bother me a bit.

Its a good trans,

The disc brakes on my EB are from a Chevy.
The front seats are from a Mazda
Rear seat from a jeep.

I'm not blindly brand loyal.
I have 2 Toyotas and 2 Chevys in my driveway.

If it was an easy swap, Id use a Toyota 5 speed and a marlin crawler double T-case in my EB.

The Yota trannys and T-cases are a dime a dozen around here, unlike 3550's.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Another option is the ZF trans, I just installed one and found it fairly easy although not quite as well a fit as the 3550. It shifts like the three speed so it's not zippy but it is reputed to be fairly bullet proof and will take more of a tourquey engine than the 3550 and it has the low low granny first gear which is nice if you need or want it, which the 3550 does not.

Ben

cj54

The NV3550 is another great 5spd if you like the way it shifts and the fact its out of a Jeep. ;)[/QUOTE]

They also put different versions of T5's in jeeps, camaros and S10's!

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BigSwede said:
How hard is the conversion from a C4 to a 5 speed when you take the NV3550 kit into consideration? I am assuming I would need a bell housing, pedal box, what else? New drive shafts? Hole in the floor?

Thanks

I'm doing an auto conversion and have a manual pedal assembly that I would like to trade for an auto pedal assembly. P.M. me if you are interested.
Dave...

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
Just finsished the first 100 or so miles with the 3550. Love it. I do notice an occasional clunk, but it is otherwise very smooth and a great gear range spread to use around town. I've got 30 inch tires on now, so I'm hoping a little more overdrive when I eventually get larger tires. I do only use first from a total standstil. Any forward motion at all, I use 2nd to get started. Highly recommend.

grauerfam

Loc.
Owings Mills,MD
Bronco_46256 said:
Just finsished the first 100 or so miles with the 3550. Love it. I do notice an occasional clunk, but it is otherwise very smooth and a great gear range spread to use around town. I've got 30 inch tires on now, so I'm hoping a little more overdrive when I eventually get larger tires. I do only use first from a total standstil. Any forward motion at all, I use 2nd to get started. Highly recommend.
What axle gearing are you running and what size tires do you plan on getting. Is this trailpyscho's setup?

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
the NV3550 is a dream to drive. I am using a stock 20 T-shift and 4.11 gears, it is a great balance of trail and highway. I got mine off ebay for $211 (!). There are some years that have an issue with 1st gear popping out, I had a discussion about it with BrewBro21 about a year ago here, I am sure that you can find it by searching. I have 6000 miles on mine since installation, not a problem!