• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which front sway bar? Duff Long arms...

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Well, I purchased the Addco 147 sway bar in anticipation of improving the road manners of my rig, but after trying to get it installed, it's pretty apparent that the exhaust and Duff long arms are causing quite a bit of interference...

Any thoughts on alternatives? And if anyone's interested in helping defray the cost of any alternative, let me know if you want to buy a new Addco unit :)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't say I've seen anyone try to go in two such divergent directions at the same time... ? You were planing on using the sway bars to counteract the effect of the long arms for street manners and then use some kind of 'quick disconnects' for the sway bar links when on the trail?

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I'm subscribing to this thread. I'm interested in having a sway bar to optimize on-road handling. Most of the sway bar configurations I've seen, while not "quick-disconnect" would be EXTREMELY simple and quick to remove - even at the trail head - on those occasions I need to disconnect it for maximum articulation.

I personally don't think I need to go to the expense or complexity of a disconnecting sway bar or anything that fancy.

Do the Anti-Rock sway bars work good on the street?

Old-Red

Loc.
Chico, CA
Here is a picture of the Anti-Rock on the front of a custom 4-link set up.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 181
OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Can't say I've seen anyone try to go in two such divergent directions at the same time... ? You were planing on using the sway bars to counteract the effect of the long arms for street manners and then use some kind of 'quick disconnects' for the sway bar links when on the trail?

I know it seems like opposing goals, but the truck is going to be 80/20 street/offroad (at least for a little while) and I just want to be able to have it comfortable enough for me (or my wife) to drive... at this point, it can seem a little loose, and I thought a sway would help based on others feedback on the boards.

I'm considering an Anti-rock but not sure if that's the answer... seems like quite a bit of work to get it situated (much more than a normal sway bar, in general)

ehumaui

I might. Can you take a pict on where you are having clearance issues? I'm running Lars bars, shorties and 2 into one exhaust.

Rc

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I run the addco on my 77 and it did help a little with the street manners but it doesn't fit worth a crap even with stock suspension.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
guy named mike on texas did it. he mounted the sway bar to the frame, ran it across between the oil pan and bell housing. then he welded studs on the sides of the duff arms and could disconnect for the trail. worked out very well.

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Wish I had seen this post earlier 888. I just ordered the 147 for my 75 last Friday.

I run the addco on my 77 and it did help a little with the street manners but it doesn't fit worth a crap even with stock suspension.

What is the problem with your fit? Specifics pleaseeeee?;D I just ordered the 147. I am planning on making my own end links out of grade 8 threaded rod because I have a 3.5" lift. Sorry to hijack Jesus888 ;)

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Pictures of the interference

I might. Can you take a pict on where you are having clearance issues? I'm running Lars bars, shorties and 2 into one exhaust.

Rc

Pictures are below...

photo44.jpg

photo43.jpg

photo42.jpg

photo41.jpg

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
I have been looking for something for the front as well. I would like better on road manners, and then the ability to disconnect when I go off road. I am running Cage arms (same as the Duff arms) with a 3.5" suspension lift, 351W and haven't seen an easy fix. There are kits that are full custom installs, but nothing that is out of the box. It would be great if a vendor had a close to "bolt on" kit for this. I bought the following kit -http://store.tk1racing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=121-42

and am going to see if I can make it work, but it is clearly not a "bolt on" solution

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a picture of the Anti-Rock on the front of a custom 4-link set up.

A pure torsion bar setup like that one could be customized many ways with respect to the torque arms to fit about anything for any desired purpose, methinks. I'm an old-school VW baja builder, after all. But an anti-sway bar that is all one piece with connection links..yr stuck with what ya got pretty much.

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
I have been looking for something for the front as well. I would like better on road manners, and then the ability to disconnect when I go off road. I am running Cage arms (same as the Duff arms) with a 3.5" suspension lift, 351W and haven't seen an easy fix. There are kits that are full custom installs, but nothing that is out of the box. It would be great if a vendor had a close to "bolt on" kit for this. I bought the following kit -http://store.tk1racing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=121-42

and am going to see if I can make it work, but it is clearly not a "bolt on" solution

That looks just like the Antirock that Currie makes but costs about $40 less :)
Currie Link
Wish there was a much cheaper alternative.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
which front sway? duff long arms

73stallion, what steering box is he running with sway bar? When I checked on doing the same it wouldn't work because, I run the stock box and it would hit the currie sway bar.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
My Duff long arms perform great on the road compared to the other set-ups I have run in the past....I am sure they could be stiffened up some, but I have the Duff 5.5" lift and can run 75 down the interstate with no problems, so I have to think your setup problems may be due to the springs or other suspension components your running.....