• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who has the worst factory welds....

OP
OP
Flintknapper

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
My frame looked ok although my rear leaf spring hangers were missing some weld in areas as well as the front coil spring hangers. While we had the frame down to weld on the new shock hoops, extended radius arm mounts, we just welded up anything that didn't look quite right. No big deal!

Agreed. If I were ever worried about mine (and I'm not), I'd just weld it myself.

Just thought it would be fun to compare this well known anomaly of our beloved Bronco's.

Heck, I'm just glad they have a fully boxed frame. ;D

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I don't have any pics of it, but my frame aint welded too bad. it looks to me like maybe they were runnin the bead too hot and too fast in a lot of spots.

crappy factory welds are pretty typical it seems. but, how often do we hear of an EB frame failure because of the welds? I never have.
the ones on my S-10 are worse then on Ugly...but I've got a grip;D , and don't lose any sleep over it.

OP
OP
Flintknapper

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
I don't have any pics of it, but my frame aint welded too bad. it looks to me like maybe they were runnin the bead too hot and too fast in a lot of spots.

crappy factory welds are pretty typical it seems. but, how often do we hear of an EB frame failure because of the welds? I never have.
the ones on my S-10 are worse then on Ugly...but I've got a grip;D , and don't lose any sleep over it.

No, if anything they were too cold. If you look at the first pic. I posted…you can see a remnant of the wire they used. Much too large for this type of welding. It is plain they were trying to keep the heat down, so as not to deform the frame or burn through, but someone didn’t do their homework.

I am not trying to “rag” on our Bronco’s, I love mine as much as anyone here. And I personally have never heard of a welding related frame failure, I am just having a little fun with subject.

I am brutally honest when it comes to the Bronco, there are things I love about them, and things that simply weren’t Fords finest moment too (all in the same vehicle).

“Instigator” seems to want to let piss poor welds “slide” because they were done 30-40 years ago. Just because they are “old” doesn’t mean they have to be “bad”.

I welded this “tab” on my bumper about 25 yrs. ago (stick welding no less) and it isn’t “crappy” IMO.

Weld.jpg

So, I’m just saying….if Ford was going to use a particular method to weld their frames (Mig, Robotic, Human welder, whatever) then take the steps necessary to ensure it is done right.

Yeah, it may not “fall apart” if done “crappy”, but why do anything less than the best you can?

Just my thoughts on it.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I want to learn to weld! My buddies dad does custom metal stair cases for a living. He can weld anything from aluminum to stainless. Another friend of a friend is a welder by trade, so I usually have it covered. I would still like to learn to weld.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I want to learn to weld! My buddies dad does custom metal stair cases for a living. He can weld anything from aluminum to stainless. Another friend of a friend is a welder by trade, so I usually have it covered. I would still like to learn to weld.

It's not that hard....go get yourself a starter MIG kit and get learning;D

You'll quickly pay for the welder in the $$$ saved by doing it yourself. (You'll also find yourself adding things to your truck at virtually no cost.)

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Flintknapper, man get a grip, that weld on you bumper can't be 25 years old, they didn't have anything but gas welding that long ago, come on now! :-*

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Flintknapper, man get a grip, that weld on you bumper can't be 25 years old, they didn't have anything but gas welding that long ago, come on now! :-*

LOL a buddy of mine brought in one of very first welding rods it was a rod wrapped with cloth not sure what the cloth was soaked in but it was pretty cool

ugly74

Bronco abuser
No, if anything they were too cold. If you look at the first pic. the same vehicle).

oh yeah, those welds in the first pics here are definitely too cold, and kinda poorly aimed too. I was referring to a lot of the welds on my 74. too hot, and too fast. I'll get pics tonight, and show 'em tomorrow.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Yup,

Apparently, Ford still has the same problem as late as 2003. Check this out:

http://www.weldreality.com/frame weld report 2005.htm

They will probably have similar "problems" in 2023. Welcome to manufacturing and dealing with someone who is trying to make an extra buck with a few shortcuts. Speed up the welding process means more parts per day and more profit as long as you don't ship a reject and have to eat a bunch of bad frames or whatever.

In plastic molding you speed up the cycle time which causes warped parts and weak parts. If someone makes it they will figure out a way to make another buck they will.

It is a constant battle between the guy making the product and trying to figure out how to make them quicker and not shipping a part that is bad enough that the user ("Fomoco") will reject it. Since our frames have lasted over 40 years both Ford and the vendor are happy.

I was looking at a friends 2004 F250 the other day. I noticed that there were a lot of white scratches in the top of the drivers door panel. Someone either specified no uv stabilizer (sun protection) in the plastic or the supplier just didn't put it in and Ford didn't catch it. Result the supplier makes another $.25 per panel or Ford saves $.25 depending on who the SOB was. The friend gets a nice truck that the $200 door panel rots off because of no protection from the sun.

Sorry not all frame related but manufacturing is all related by the desire for a profit.

OP
OP
Flintknapper

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
They will probably have similar "problems" in 2023. Welcome to manufacturing and dealing with someone who is trying to make an extra buck with a few shortcuts. Speed up the welding process means more parts per day and more profit as long as you don't ship a reject and have to eat a bunch of bad frames or whatever.

In plastic molding you speed up the cycle time which causes warped parts and weak parts. If someone makes it they will figure out a way to make another buck they will.

It is a constant battle between the guy making the product and trying to figure out how to make them quicker and not shipping a part that is bad enough that the user ("Fomoco") will reject it. Since our frames have lasted over 40 years both Ford and the vendor are happy.

I was looking at a friends 2004 F250 the other day. I noticed that there were a lot of white scratches in the top of the drivers door panel. Someone either specified no uv stabilizer (sun protection) in the plastic or the supplier just didn't put it in and Ford didn't catch it. Result the supplier makes another $.25 per panel or Ford saves $.25 depending on who the SOB was. The friend gets a nice truck that the $200 door panel rots off because of no protection from the sun.

Sorry not all frame related but manufacturing is all related by the desire for a profit.

Oh....I know full well "why" it happens.

I know why they don't put drain plugs in the bottom of diffs. (saves a nickle).

I know why they accept sloppy welding (if it gets another frame out the door, great more profit), etc....

Doesn't mean I don't get to bitch/complain about it though. ;D