• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who has the worst mods by the previous owner?

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
The previous owner of my 67' must have been a fiberglass expert.

Instead of replacing the rusted panels he fiberglassed over them. :- I bet I removed about 100#'s of fiberglass this past weekend when I went into replace some bad sheet metal.

Let's just say I've already cut enough new sheet metal at work to replace everything from the core support back to the floors under the drivers seat and all of that was patched fiberglass over Rust. :eek:

Nuke

-Welded on rear bumper.
-Rivioted in Aluminum floor pans with the rust ones still on it

ChuckUNC

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
[quote author=TexasBronco link=board=5;threadid=17299;start=0#msg132201 date=1052622880]
Welding on bumpers!!!! :mad:
[/quote]

Yeah me too. You gotta hate that.

CT.boy

Loc.
Southern Connecticut
* Aluminum floor pans attached with sheet metal screws over existing floors
* Assorted fiberglass patches over rusty areas
* Engine bay painted with some grey house paint . Also must have used a large brush judging by the brushstrokes.
* Door posts filled to top with fiberglass resin :p

Dave

djhudson

Loc.
Perryville, Missouri
Where Do I Start?? PO cut angled and re-welded pitman arm. Wiring harness cut and spliced everywhere, Home made headliner made from some type of thin tin, Welded roof skin to braces in a few spots to stop the roof noise therefore warping the skin, removed top at one point and instead of using the seals that go between the top and body sealed it with a bead of blue Form a Gasket. Had welded metal patches over previous metal patches inthe kick panels, and if that wasn't enough, at some point the 302 oil pan was replaced with what must have been an aftermarketpan. It was a bronco style pan, but there was no hole for a dipstick!!!

adambronco74

Loc.
Northern Colorado
My PO must have been a first class engineer! First off, the one that threw me for the longest time was under the hood. He was generous enough to throw a 351W in there, but it was a serpentine belt. Well, the genius didn't put a reverse rotation fan on there, so it was blowing all the air out through the radiator. It took me awhile to figure it out and thankfully there was no engine damage from the overheats. Also, farm boy custom exhaust with cherry bombs. They used some old exhaust pipe and just capped off the old intersections. Next, I had some mirrored tinting on the windows of the hard top. I'm sure it looked cool in the 80's, but you can hardly see through it in broad daylight now! They must have had some rooftop carrier or lights mounted on the roof, because there's holes all over the top, which serves as perfect drainage spots in snow storms (you can tell were each hole is by locating the rust spot on the floor and looking directly overhead). I don't know what kind of gas overflow system he had going on, but the decided the stock holes with the rubber around them weren't good enough for him, so he drilled his own, outside of the rear quarter panel cavities. And my favorite one of all! The PO had HOT PINK STRIPE decals running from the doors all the way to the back of the rig on both sides! That was the first thing to go :). We just took a razor too that and now there's the illusion of wicked rock rash :), although I'm taking care of that this summer with a new paint job.

ford67bronco

Loc.
Wisconsin
Pieces of 2x4 for the body lift, wiring for the stereo that resembles a birdnest done by sparrows on an acid trip, and yes.....welded on bumpers. ::)

civilgee

Loc.
Northport, Alabama
my favorite....Installed carpet and the pad was held in place with some serious adhesive. Needless to say, I am repairing small rust spots everywhere in the bed, the floor pans are beyond repair. But the carpet covered everything nicely ;D

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
Aluminum patches pop-riveted over the rust in the floor. Home-made spare tire carrier (see my pic of the rear in the gallery, pg 28). Nuts & bolts to seal holes in the roof over passenger seat (might have been a grab handle). And bondo.

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
The first Bronco I owned, had a early 70's raised tinted roof from a station wagon grafted into the hard top. Damn that thing was ugly.

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
[quote author=TexasBronco link=board=5;threadid=17299;start=0#msg132201 date=1052622880]
Welding on bumpers!!!! :mad:
[/quote]

Mine to had the front bumper welded on.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I feel lucky. My heavily reinforced stock bumpers were still bolt on.
The only real pain was the welded on reciever hitches. Both Broncos that I have owned have had this feature.
The last one also had the fuel tank (sending unit?) repaired with clear bathtub silicone. I chased that vapor lock problem for over a year before I found the transparent problem. Cut off the hitch to swap out the tank.

G

Heh guys, I hate to be the one to point this out but these examples don't make it look like bronco owners are the sharpest knives in the drawer. LOL.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Who ever had mine just used different Bolt sizes and lengths for every thing or what ever he could find. I had to have a set of sockets on a necklace when I started on it. I have slowly removed alot and threw them in a can and replaced them back with all new and a standard size.

Some of the shifter rods were goofy and made with all thread and spacers.

The Alt and Power steering Brackets use to have 40 different kind of spacers and washers of sort.

lobo

Loc.
Seattle Washington
lol - I spent the entire time I owned my bronco fixing the previous owners mods!!!! What I fixed - Electrical up the yazoo - excuss me but when you touch a wire please put it back where it went not reroute it the shortest possible route. wire is not that expensive!!!! O yeah and the bumpers not only were they welded on but the PO thought it would be a good idea to notch out the frame and weld a pipe of steel into is front and back messed the frame endrails all up but hell they make nice cross members! there was no rust that was all I cared about! and instead of lining up the boots for the james duff floor shift and the james duff transfer shifter he just bolted them right into the other one puttinga extra hole in the chrome!

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Left rocker panel was severely rusted out. PO hammered down the high spots and covered it with a can of bondo. The shaping/sanding of the filler was top notch. It looked really nice, but obviously didn't last. :p
Also had the halffast drivers floor pan replacement. Not a Replacement but just patch. The "Holey Rusty Sheet Metal Batman" was left in place.
Other than these two buffs, The Bronco was a hunert percent stock. Oh, wait! Ugly chrome wagon wheels. This was probably the worst mod due to the fact that it was visible to all who looked my way

B

bert

Heh guys, I hate to be the one to point this out but these examples don't make it look like bronco owners are the sharpest knives in the drawer. LOL.
Its the sharp knives that recognize the problems and know how to fix them or ask a reliable source how to fix them.
I find the entire post very amusing.

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
PO patched over rust in front and rear floors with galvanized flashing and window screen. Put down strips of of wood in rear floor with caulking. Covered the intire floor from front to back with Bondo, no grooves anywhere. Then covered that with glued outdoor carpet. He even bondoed some from underneath. That glue is like a grinder across the knuckles. :mad:

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I can't top any of those stories but I'm sure that the PO painted my Bronco in their driveway. There are these stripes that look really stupid and the dork masked the key hole with a square piece of tape so that when the tape was peeled off it left a square of old color unpainted surface behind. :-[ He also masked the door handle so that a big uneven stripe of the old color was showing between the 2 attaching points. ??? WTF is this? Oh and here's a good one; the side trim moldings were painted black, now the black paint is chipping and looks really retarded. :( And the Bronco script fender chrome was blackened but I managed to get the paint off with a SOS pad. It will be repainted when I find a decent hard top to put back on it. Those of you who saw it at Fab Fords prolly got a good laugh. It's on page 60 of the photo gallery.

BH