• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who has the worst mods by the previous owner?

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
I got to thinking about this while I was tearing into mine today.
I figured I'd finally trash the hooptie lookin headliner the PO put in.Cheesy vinyl, duct taped to what I thought was the original headliner.Took it all out,peeled all the duct tape off,and there was a NOS cardboard headliner,in PERFECT shape.Why somebody would duct tape vinyl over a perfect replacement headliner is beyond me ::).
And while the headliner was out,I noticed the roof rack screws were WAY too long,we're talking instant lobotomy in a rollover.Took the grinder to em,flattened them out.Damn scary.And this has been my DD for 4 YEARS!
That ain't all.PO replaced all the 1/4"carpet trim screws with 1" screws.And screwed them right into the top of the aux. tank.And he told me "Uh,I think that tank leaks a little". :mad: (I found out later he was right.) :mad:
And there is also the subject of wiring.No small wonder why mine caught fire a couple months ago.
Put it this way,masking tape is not good for electrical connections.Neither are household wire nuts.Duh.
Gotta add this one-not my Bronco.I saw one the other day that had stacked PLYWOOD squares for a body lift.I couldn't believe it.He had plywood seat mounts too.Dig this-he's a MECHANIC at Brake Max.Dont think I'll be going there anytime soon. ::)
So let's hear about what your Bronco's previous owners have done,and done wrong,I can't be the only one ;D

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
I am the second owner, I was fairly lucky I
guess because the PO was real good at maint.
on it. I did hear that he had to replace the hard
top on it (back when it had a hard top) . He and his
17 yr. old son was out hunting and the boy hoped
in the bronco and his shotgun went off, and made
a sun roof in it !

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Is BONDO a mod? ;D The genius PO also used marine carpet with industrial strength adhesive for the interior (that was a fun time to get off). He also used 8 half inch plates (4 on each side) with holes drilled in them to lift the front rather than buying new coils. He didn't buy longer bolts or even weld the plates together...they were just held in by the weight of the body and engine puching down on it :eek:

B

bert

Dang funny, I feel a lot better now! Look what they did to my hood!
bronco.JPG

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
[quote author=TexasBronco link=board=5;threadid=17299;start=0#msg132201 date=1052622880]
Welding on bumpers!!!! :mad:
[/quote]

ouch!

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Idiot power steering mod. The previous owner cut into the frame to make it fit, then cut the spring tower and inner fender well so the steering shaft would fit. He also cut the front body mount and used a piece of 2x4 under the front clip instead. You can see more pics and the fixes on my site.

DownSteering.jpg

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
[quote author=TexasBronco link=board=5;threadid=17299;start=0#msg132201 date=1052622880]
Welding on bumpers!!!! :mad:
[/quote]
I forgot about that crap...out of 7 broncos, 6 had either front, rear or both bumpers welded on. 2 were just tack welded in a few spots, but the rest were welded everywhere. I am still debating how to get that crap off :mad:

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
The PO of my rig was a real bright one. He welded the front and rear bumpers on. He put power steering on, but it was from a GM vehicle. To get it to fit he cut the front crossmember off and used a drop bracket for the power steering box. I am still waiting for the day to be making a sharp turn and seeing my power steering box draging along the road. Other than those two there wasn't any other major PO improvements, thankfully.

joes75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pittsburgh
for me it was the dumb idiot cutting off the window frames on the doors. and gutting the doors... then taking them off, so I dont have usable doors now. doesnt bother me really, but I might miss it inthe winter... if I ever get to drive it.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Well, on my 76, a p.o. cut the pitman arm in half and welded in a chunk for a drop pitman arm. The lift on it turned out to be angle iron welded into the shock tower to raise the coils, and extensions welded onto the rear shock mounts on the 9" for added lift. Then the paint was some kind of brown with purple dusting on it.

At least the 351C was installed decently and runs good.

snake

67bondobronc

The "Bondoman" as I like to call him that owned mine made a homemade lift kit that included homemade blocks under the leafs and then a huge piece of angle iron welded between the frame that was 2" above the frame. He did this on the backend and did not raise the front at all. Oh and the aluminum sheeting (the kind used as flashing on roofs) he used as floor pan replacements was nice also. ::)

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
The PO of mine definatly did not know any thing about wiring.

Example 1
DSC00021.JPG

Example 2
DSC00024.JPG

Also it looks like he used a trac bar from what I assume is a F150 he fabricated the drop bracket about an inch and a half past the side of the frame. ???

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Sheet metal scrap and sheet metal screws over the original floor boards to fix the holes...still haven't fixed that. And yes, the weld on bumpers suck.

John

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Home made rear fender flares. Made out of conduit, sheetmetal, galvinized sheetmetal, roof flashing, bondo. Thank goodness they were small enough so I could cut them off and still be able to cover the cutout with a fender flare of a real type .

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
fiberglass over the floorboards :mad: made finding and getting the bodymount bolts out for the newmounts and body lift a pain in the a$$

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
My rear springs each had one extra leaf. Ordinarily not too bad....I'm not sure what these came off of but they were a little over a half inch thick apiece. Not exactly smooth riding. But, if you broke down in the wilderness, you could pull them and use them as boomerangs to hunt grizzlies with.....