• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whose Bed Liner to buy

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
SO It seems to me that bed liner has sure gone up. .. Pretty much $100.00 now .
.. I looked online .. Saw a Herculiner for a kit seemed cheaper than just a gallon.. $79.50 & free shipping .
.... I'm thinking I'll need 2 gallons . & I want some of the grit or sand/gravel stuff you put in it my make it like Sand Papper .
... What's you thoughts .

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
For about a 100 bucks you can get the 4 quart Raptor Liner kit and it comes with the gun to spray it. It has a nice texture and depending how course you want it depends on air pressure and the distance you hold the gun. Just scuff it up and wipe it down with wax and grease remover. Ken

Orig93gt

Another vote for raptor liner. I’ve used it a bunch of times with good results. Nice product for the money

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I just sprayed Rapor in my Samurai and I'm very happy with it. I bought the 8 liter kit with spray gun for $192 on Ebay.

4 liters did the Sam tub and tailgate. Door jams, bed rails and such. Two coats.......The extra 4 liters is going on Sam #2

I had a lug wrench and a jack handle in the back for all of deer season. Lots of bouncing around and sliding. Not even a scratch that I can find.

The finish is slick but you can gt "grit" to add to it if you want slip.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_141404.jpg
    IMG_20180915_141404.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 144

needsmoarturbo

Many moons ago I used herculiner. I was not impressed with either the durability or the ease of cleaning, though it does offer non slip grip....

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
While I do agree to a point that bedliners can be used to hide rust, so can bondo or any other product that is made for other reasons.
If done properly and for the right reasons it is a valuable product to protect your investment. To each their own for sure, I can see why some folks don't care for it.
That being said I would also vote for Raptor, its a great product and easy to use. You can add grit to it to get whatever type of traction you prefer. I know their are other liners that are great as well, Raptor just happens to be the one that I am familiar with. Just my opinion here, not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Good luck with your search Pa Pitt!

CHerold

Raptor has my vote. I used Herculiner in my 68, was very slick, adhered well but wore down quickly. I used Raptor in my Heap and was very pleased with results. Never wore down, did not peel and I abused the hell out of it - dive tanks, tools, dogs etc. I am about to begin removing the "bed liner" (rubber undercoat) PO put in my 72 and Raptor it as well.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did my jeep inside and out 2 years ago in Rapter tintable, very happy with it and is holding up very well! Although if a high lift jack falls across it while holding jeep up(I was testing stability before working on it thankfully) , it will leave a slight scratch down the side. If you don't have all the rust neutralized it will peel away from rust. Plastic cases will still slide on it but most other thing's stay put.

Attachments

• 20171026_153641.jpg
    20171026_153641.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 77

dougsride

al's liner

check out al's liner. used it on my floor boards. sprayed bout 1/8 to 3/16 thick. it's tough stuff. spilled a spot on my driveway. still there 5 years later.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
With any liner it's all about the prep. I spent days prepping and was done spraying in 2 hours....that included cleanup....

Tim

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Thanks for the answers ...
Looks like most of you like The rafter kit.
... Like I'd said, I'd used Gator Guard on my Bronco bed & HALF CAB TOP & Lot of other parts .. It has lasted 10 years & I'll say has held up quite well. But I was a dealer for it hack in the day .. I'm not longer have my Wholesale contacts.
.. I remember a post like this a couple of years ago. & AL'S LINER CAME UP.
Were do you order it from. just of the net.
... & Yes I too believe Lizard Skin is number one for noise.
But I do believe my Gator GUARD SURE HELPED with noise in my cab. As I expect all the others will work for some noise control.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... SO What I'll us this liner on is very heavy metal .. Like 1/4 inch floor plate. SO cleaning it up . what do I need to do. I was planning on just DA WITH 180grit. & car washing it off & wipe it down with a clean rage & lacquer. I'd prefer to roll the Rafter on But I can spray it on if you think that totally necessary .
...... & Do you feel on 1/4 plate It's necessary to wipe down with Klicks or metal prep . Or any of the other rust inhibitors. I didn't like 5717S DuPoints TOO HARD TO USE.
.... I DID SELL another one that was in a small spray bottle . Spray it on the clean rusty spot .. It became a black Primer & Mine worked quite well.

Kbpony

Not sure on the metal prep, I sprayed the bed of my glass tub. The box said Al’s, but I bought it from Scorpion liners. Bought the whole kit, two part mix and the gun. Also added a flattening agent to smooth it out a little. Very pleased with it. The guys were very helpful. If I applied it again, I think I’d do it outside to reduce the cleanup.

Another question, if Lizard Skin is the best sound deadening, which is the best insulating?

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the Raptor on plate I would DA like you said and then prime it. They say no bare metal and use a self etching primer in there directions. once primed I use a denatured alcohol and wipe it down real good and spray. I don't know weather rolling it or spraying is better because I just sprayed mine with 2 coats 20 min apart. I would think it will take more product to roll it on. With spraying its easy not a lot of over spray area because its heavy and falls to the ground, cleaned the gun between coats and when done. When done with the last coat pull the tape when you get threw spraying and its dry to the touch in 30 min or so depending on temperature.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Raptor liner on bare metal is a NO NO.......

You have to use "self etching" primer then apply Raptor.......

Tim

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Now that's funny but I'd say WD40 & HOPE IT'LL WORK like it used too . Before they changed it's formula .
BUT WD40 used to take off glue & paint .