• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why do a diesel swap??

Nothing Special

I was intrigued by the idea of a diesel trail rig for the torque and the mileage... until I followed one on a trail. It STUNK! I guess it wasn't too bad in the diesel rig, but right behind him wasn't a good place to be. I decided that I didn't want to do that to whoever might be behind me, so I'm sticking with gas.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I don't want folks to think I"m a diesel hater! lol I still own a diesel truck, pulls great, good mpg. Perfect for what I used it for.

BUT the original post was about diesels in Broncos... I strayed but I'm going to say I was tempted to stray! :)

I generate about 140KW/day of electricity at my house on average with solar from March till end of Oct. Less KW generation the rest of the year. Why not? It's free power every day once I got it paid off in 3 yrs.

Like having my own oil well on my farm but without the drill rig, the noise, the pollution, the refinery needs, etc.

Almost anybody with a roof over their heads can do it if the sun shines where they live.

Same here, been driving diesel pickups, around tractors and combines my whole life..........but I don't want one in a bronco lol.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
My personal experience. I run an Isuzu 4bd1t in my 66. For me the decision was easy. Fuel mileage, reliability and fun to drive.

I find most people just guess at fuel mileage. I set my Speedo using GPS and log mileage on every tank. Around town I'm averaging 19mpg and on the highway 22. Not many gas jobs that can come close to that.

I needed turn key reliability. My wife drives the bronco a lot so I wanted something you can hop in, hit the key and go. As was mentioned before these engines are simple and run forever.

Fun. This is obviously personal preference but I love hearing the turbo spool and the feel of a diesel pulling.. I would much rather listen to the diesel chugging along than the drone of loud exhaust. Keep in mind, Cummins isn't the only name in the game.My isuzu is much smoother and quiter.

The biggest thing that gives diesels a bad name is the coal rollers. Diesels can make good power without leaving a trail of black smoke.

All that being said, there are plenty of builds where I would never use one. Mainly, hard core trail trucks. For me wheeling on the east coast, through the rocks, I will take a gas engine.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
My personal experience. I run an Isuzu 4bd1t in my 66. For me the decision was easy. Fuel mileage, reliability and fun to drive.

I find most people just guess at fuel mileage. I set my Speedo using GPS and log mileage on every tank. Around town I'm averaging 19mpg and on the highway 22. Not many gas jobs that can come close to that.

I needed turn key reliability. My wife drives the bronco a lot so I wanted something you can hop in, hit the key and go. As was mentioned before these engines are simple and run forever.

Fun. This is obviously personal preference but I love hearing the turbo spool and the feel of a diesel pulling.. I would much rather listen to the diesel chugging along than the drone of loud exhaust. Keep in mind, Cummins isn't the only name in the game.My isuzu is much smoother and quiter.

The biggest thing that gives diesels a bad name is the coal rollers. Diesels can make good power without leaving a trail of black smoke.

All that being said, there are plenty of builds where I would never use one. Mainly, hard core trail trucks. For me wheeling on the east coast, through the rocks, I will take a gas engine.

Did you have a build thread for your swap?

svobronco

Contributor

Seen this in person...it's a beautiful install! Just like it grew there.

Stefan

Loc.
Louisiana, Fort Polk

That sounds like an interesting build. Would love to hear more.

Digger556

First of all, Im not trying to step on any toes because I know of some beautiful Bronco's in here that owners are doing this and I commend you. Im all for making a car/truck/Bronco YOUR ride, to be different.

I am just trying to understand the positives vs the negatives about it. Aren't the diesel engines heavier than a small block V8? I haven't done much mudding with my '76 but my first Bronco I had back in the 80's I did ALOT of hunting/mudding in it and one of the greatest things about it was that it was light and was smaller than normal trucks and wouldn't get stuck in the 'ruts' that a heavy chevy would make.

Is the power/weight ratio better with a diesel??

Good questions. I feel much of the attitude towards diesels has been shaped by 2 things:
1) terrible 70s-80s diesels. Slow, loud, smelly, etc
2) Coal-rolling brodozers with deleted emissions equipment and poor aftermarket tunes.

Diesel are really split between the older mechanically injected units and the new computer-controlled common-rail engines. Mechanically injected engines are dead reliable, require no electricity, but lack the fuel control or high pressure ability to meet modern emissions. Newer diesels are complex like any modern engine, but still very reliable and much cleaner, efficient and power dense.

Others have made valid points, but I'll speak from my perspective of owning a modern common-rail diesel in a Bronco. (Cummins R2.8)

PROs:
- Weight: Same as a 302 or aluminum-headed 351. 503 lbs. I did not change springs or shocks. My truck sits at the exact same ride height as it did with the 351W
- RPM Band: The R2.8 de-fuels at 4200 rpm, so it is considered high-revving by diesel standards. I stuck with my 4.56 gears and 37" tires. The engine could tolerance 4.88s if I needed more torque at the axle. Overall it works great. I rarely took the 351W over 4500 rpm.
- Mileage: HUGH PLUS here. My Bronco started at 9 mpg when I bought it. I made it heavier (cage, back seat,etc,) and put taller tires on it (33s vs 37s). After fuel injecting the V8, I could get 13mpg. With the diesel, I jumped straight to a consistent 23 mpg, tracking mileage with a GPS verified Dakota Digital gauge set. I took my hardside camper out and still achieved 17 mpg. For comparison, my camper behind an F-150 would get ~8mpg or 13 mpg behind an OBS 7.3l PowerStroke.
- Reliability: Subjective, but I was constantly fixing little things on the 351, either from old architecture/design issues or aftermarket parts not working as advertised. The R2.8 is set-it-and-forget-it.
- Noise: The R2.8 is pretty quiet. You can tell its a diesel because it clatters a little, but not because its loud.
- Smell: The R2.8 with a diesel cat just doesn't smell like a diesel. I've been wheeling with 2 groups this summer, leading both times. Neither group noticed a smell from my truck and had no issues being behind me.
- Torquey: Good low-end torque, especially towing. Makes over 300 lb-ft @1800 rpm
- Cool factor: I get stopped all the time by people wanting to check out the engine. Many comments on how clean the install looks with a modern engine.

CONs:
- Complexity: The R2.8 fits easy in the engine bay, but the ancillary equipment was a tough squeeze. Wiring however was dead simple.
- Conversion parts: If you're installing a diesel, you better have fab skills or a knowledgeable shop. No one makes a drop-in kit.
- Emission laws: Not every state will let you drop in a diesel in place of the OEM engine.
- Power: Only 161 HP. It's slower merging into traffic, but still cruises at 75-80 mph. The 351W could take the Bronco to 100 mph, but that's pretty fast for a Bronco.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:
- On paper the engine has 1/2 the HP of my 351, but driving it, you would swear it has 80% or more of the power. Diesels just drive different. They are great for climbing steep grades, towing or crawling. Just don't expect to be doing tons of burnouts unless you have an 8-speed trans.
- Turbo-diesels are great if you live in mountainous areas. Even though my 351 made 440 lb-ft of torque, if you took it to 10,000 ft, it only made 308lb-ft. Less than the little R2.8's 310 lb-ft.

If you only drive your Bronco on the weekend to the car show, the diesel will probably not appeal to you. If you daily drive, tow or off-road, the diesel is a game changer.

ammowaster

I think the main reason you don't see more is simply because it takes quite a bit of work and fabrication. If you could order a turnkey 2.8 kit you would see a lot more. If we didn't have all the weird laws and stuff was modular you'd probably see all kinds of stuff.

I'd love to have a 2.8 or similar motor in mine but it's not feasible for me. I'll probably just end up with a Blueprint crate motor.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Digger has got his dialed in for his needs for sure. Sounds like he's done a great job as I havent seen it but would sure like to!

I don't agree that there would be a ton more of them because it takes lots of work to swap them in tho.

I look at this list and most of my Bronco buddies and so many of them have a thousand hours or more into non stock, radical suspensions, drivetrains, WB lengthening, etc etc and a diesel swap is similar-meaning you are fabbing your own parts and designing it yourself. Hundreds of guys on this list have done this.

I think its the "diesel factor" which is defined as any and all reasons why diesels cars/trucks in the US aren't more popular for all the reasons mentioned above.

But even a mechanical pump diesel takes electricity to make it run.. unless you have a huge crank. lol

I have no interest in doing 100mph but where and how I wheel in places getting all 4 tires to 50 mph in a few seconds is needed if you want to continue.

It's cool that there are so many builds and with that the creativity to do something different! :)

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Same here, been driving diesel pickups, around tractors and combines my whole life..........but I don't want one in a bronco lol.

Aww….Traitor, All your diesels are rolling in their graves….no wait, they’re all still running! LOL ;) ;) ;) Used over 20 diesels in my lifetime of farming and driving as well. Still have a number of them around. Sadly, my worst love/hate relationship is with a 94 Ford 7.3. Pulls trailers good with about typical mileage. Trouble is the mileage isn’t much different when you aren’t towing. :( It also is hard on glow plugs and relay and if it’s below 55 it won’t start without working gloplugs. Probably built on a Monday or Friday. Lol

Scott