• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Window track felt

fabieber

I posted earlier about finding just replacement felt for the window tracks which are in good shape. I ordered some from Amazon with the parts coming from Moore Parts. The published measurements would have worked but on receipt, there is virtually no gap in the "felt" which is quite firm. It is so firm and narrow that it simply will not go over the glass. So, the search continues.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for letting us know. Did you add that as a follow up to the previous thread?

OP
OP
F

fabieber

I found a very good and very inexpensive fix for the window channel felt. Nothing I could do would make the Moore Parts product work so I got creative.\

Amazon - 1/2 by 60" felt strips. Zonan Brand Polyester - $7.99.

They have a sticky back but I assumed it isn't waterproof so my fix went thusly:

The channels I did are the bottom channels front and rear. Will do the upper front channels next.

Wire brush on the drill to grind out the old felt on the tracks and applied rust inhibitor spray ( I had done this before getting new felt). Cleaned channel with alcohol to get rid of all dust. The bottom of the channel is too narrow for the width of the felt strips (they are 1/2" wide) so I cut the felt to the length of the track then cut that piece of felt right down the middle (ending up with 1/4" width). This width fits about perfect on the inside back of the channel. I didn't use any other adhesive since the two side wall felt strips will hold the back piece in place should the self adhesive strip fail.

Then I used waterproof aerosol adhesive spray and after pulling off the paper back of the felt strip to expose the "sticky" side, I sprayed the sticky side with the spray adhesive. I couldn't think of a way to spray the adhesive on the inside of the channel and also on the felt strips as a 2 surface adhesive has no adjustment time at all (just like contact cement). After the adhesive got tacky (per the instructions on the can) I used a tweezer on each end of the strip and loosely laid the felt strip on the inside wall of the channel and then used the flat side of a scraper to push the felt firmly against the channel wall. Then I did the other inside channel wall in the same way. I did some testing of adherence of the felt strips and they are really firmly stuck in place!

This may sound complicated but it took longer to write this than it did to finish one channel.

Tip: top end of the channel is flared out two ways to route the glass into the channel when lowering window. At first I did not run the felt strip out of the channel and over the flared pieces and when I lowered the window it seemed to hang up a bit on the end of the felt strips. I added strips to cover the flared ends and it works perfectly. When I do the other door channels I will make a single strip for each side that is long enough to cover the flared metal as well.

This is really a sanitary looking fix and the glass fits just perfectly between the felt strips. So, more funds left for things that I can't "Mcgyver"(y):)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds fantastic! Good job finding something that works and making it work.
Hope you are planning to post up some pictures though, or, as we used to say on the Internet… Pictures, or it didn’t happen! :)

OP
OP
F

fabieber

Where do I locate the tutorial on posting pictures? I intended to do that when I wrote my epistle but couldn't figure out how..o_O

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Becoming a contributor for a mere $12 per year you can post pics on the forum. If you go to the bronco chat section there’s a post from the administrator that tells you how to. Easy peasy!
And like Paul said, pics or it didn’t happen. Lol

Randy

OP
OP
F

fabieber

Sorry I was away for the last couple days. I shall become a contributor

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I found a very good and very inexpensive fix for the window channel felt. Nothing I could do would make the Moore Parts product work so I got creative.\

Amazon - 1/2 by 60" felt strips. Zonan Brand Polyester - $7.99.

They have a sticky back but I assumed it isn't waterproof so my fix went thusly:

The channels I did are the bottom channels front and rear. Will do the upper front channels next.

Wire brush on the drill to grind out the old felt on the tracks and applied rust inhibitor spray ( I had done this before getting new felt). Cleaned channel with alcohol to get rid of all dust. The bottom of the channel is too narrow for the width of the felt strips (they are 1/2" wide) so I cut the felt to the length of the track then cut that piece of felt right down the middle (ending up with 1/4" width). This width fits about perfect on the inside back of the channel. I didn't use any other adhesive since the two side wall felt strips will hold the back piece in place should the self adhesive strip fail.

Then I used waterproof aerosol adhesive spray and after pulling off the paper back of the felt strip to expose the "sticky" side, I sprayed the sticky side with the spray adhesive. I couldn't think of a way to spray the adhesive on the inside of the channel and also on the felt strips as a 2 surface adhesive has no adjustment time at all (just like contact cement). After the adhesive got tacky (per the instructions on the can) I used a tweezer on each end of the strip and loosely laid the felt strip on the inside wall of the channel and then used the flat side of a scraper to push the felt firmly against the channel wall. Then I did the other inside channel wall in the same way. I did some testing of adherence of the felt strips and they are really firmly stuck in place!

This may sound complicated but it took longer to write this than it did to finish one channel.

Tip: top end of the channel is flared out two ways to route the glass into the channel when lowering window. At first I did not run the felt strip out of the channel and over the flared pieces and when I lowered the window it seemed to hang up a bit on the end of the felt strips. I added strips to cover the flared ends and it works perfectly. When I do the other door channels I will make a single strip for each side that is long enough to cover the flared metal as well.

This is really a sanitary looking fix and the glass fits just perfectly between the felt strips. So, more funds left for things that I can't "Mcgyver"(y):)
Try to track this down, can't find specific brand on amazon. How THICK is the felt? Thanks. Howard in beautiful west Michigan