• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wow. I think I bought a piece of crap.Help me out guys.....please!

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
So i get myself a 74 Bronco.The body has been hacked on so that 40" tire fit the truck.Fine, no big deal.I am making this a offroad unit anyway.So I spend some time this weekend and clean up wiring that was horrible.Then I have to relocate some stuff. Under the hood I see the rad support is hacked up and the rad is bolted to the front grill.The rad is also leaking to. Sigh. OK, i can deal with this.I llok more and find that the front rad support also supports the front fenders that was so nicely hacked that a body mount was broken off and the front fender was being held up by the bumper.So i deside to look arround some more.......bad idea. I find that the front pinion is loose and wobbling arround.Then I go to get the drive shaft for the front and it is siezed.I can't even pull it appart to install it.The rear driveshaft had about an inch play at the splines up and down. The trans is hard to get into reverse and 1st and it has a Duff shifter that is really worn out.Speeking of worn out,the steering column is an automatic column from ????? and it is really loose.Then I find that the steering shaft to the box does not stay on the shaft and it has a center piece on that shaft that flops up and down and arround and barely turns the tires.I guess a 77 steering box was put in as an upgrade. The rear support for the bed has split and cracked causing the body to basicly start to fall at the rear. all that and the Bronco was actually a automatic before the floor was chewed up for the shifter install. Oh man. I spent alot of money for a piece of crap.

Where do I even start for repairs?

I was thinking that I have to remove the front clip and cut the already hacked up inner fenders roght off. Then make a tube structure so I can hang the fenders and make new inner fenders.Then I can mount the rad properly. I did buy a Explorer rad.Nice and thick but almost the same size as the one that is in there now.

The rear I will just weld in some new channel to stop the droop.

Steering column and steering shaft I have no idea how to repair that. Maybe something custom.The engine was from a 86 F-150 and has the Ford plastic stock F-150 steering box that is just millimeters from the steering box.

I would love to get a C4 and D20 back behind the 351W

I did buy some Prelude seats to install into the Bronco one day.Very nice seats...even for a fat guy like me.

I guess I will get some custom driveshafts made for the truck $$$$$$$$$$$. I don't know where else to get parts from.

Any sugestions would be great. I heard that this was the best place for info.I have searched some stuff but others knowledge would be great.

Oh well. Any of you guys live here in Canada? I NEEED PARTS..........

Last edited:

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Hmmm.....sounds like the beginnings of a frame-off to me.

Odd, this story is really familiar to me..... %)

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
-how about posting up some pix so we have a better idea of whats going on?
-i'd take care of the steering first. possibly swapping out the whole column. gotta make sure everything is safe to drive before worrying about radiators and such.
-check the parts for sale section on here. you'll find some things you need, probably at a very good price. also check craigslist. people are dumping all kinds of stuff these days.

lastly, i thought i bought a turd, too. but there is hope, and some elbow grease and patience goes a long way.

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
Give me a PM with your phone # and home or business email. I have a few parts you may need plus I can hook you up with someone that has a C-4 and D20 plus lots of other goodies.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
oh sweet. Another owner in Alberta. I will send you a PM

Thanks guys. I guess steering is very important.Without that your just sitting there.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I see 2 ways of dealing with this. Leave it a hack and beat the living piss out of it and enjoy what you can, fix only what is needed to keep it going. Either keep it cheap or toss on better stuff as old stuff breaks. Or park it, take it all down and build it up right (even if it is a trail rig). Put everything in it to start with.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
So you did buy that one!!!!
Now you have a job on your hands. Not to worry lots of guys willing to help.
Drop my a line and i think I know where there is a hydroboost unit available for next to nothing. If you got 40 inch boots you gotta have the brakes.

contact Malcomzilla he has body parts for you. I was supposed to get to his house for a hood and doors but havent made it yet but I know he has some stuff you need.
Steering, easy,schmeezy, column out of a 78 79 ford pickup works great and is as close to a bolt on as you want.

Front driveshaft is a easy rebuild, article here on how to do it and the parts are not expensive.

Keep at it it looks daunting but it isn't
TOFIC (in Redcliff)

PS I get offered 351's in cars for nothing quite frequently should I say yes to one and let you know?? ( no c4's usually AOD's

luke1970

Loc.
Fayetteville AR
hey brother you have one, thats what counts, I am a total rookie and have had step by step instructions from the boys on this sight! Welcome!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Quite a few folks on here from the big C... Definitely start w/taking body off, start hitting frame first.. Might as well....

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Well it is good to see the support on here.It is awesome. You Bronco guys are a rare breed of good guy's. I will start with the steering stuff.Make it safe to steer. Then onto the body problems.Finally fix stuff like the front diff and driveshafts,swap in a C4,put in a cage and tube doors. Then I will upgrade to disc brake on the front to help stop the mamoth tires.

Thanks for the help guys and I hope to see more Albertians on here.

Shane

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I would fix all the mechanic issues first. Don't put much money into body fixes until you can at least drive it safely and reliably. A lot of guys loose interest after dumping a ton of money into a rig they never get to drive.

Start with the most important stuff (steering, brakes, drive shafts...etc) and work your way down to the fuzzy dice.

just my 2cents.

Good luck!

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree; get it trail worthy and beat the piss out of it. If it's a trail rig and you put a ton of money into making it nice you are going to probably end up with the same result and that is a rig that is beat to piss. Don't worry about the cosmetics, get the mechanics straight and run it.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Brakes and Steering are the most important safety issues. That is were I would start.

Post some pictures so that we can see what you are dealing with.

I just did a complete frame off restoration (still in progress, but getting close). I can see how people can get discouraged. You just have to do one project at a time and finish it. Then move on to the next project. That is the only way you are going to be able to get through it without going insane.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
I will get some pics this weekend when it is lighter outside.

I agree.I will get the steering and drivetrain issues done then take it out to play with. The body I am not really worried about except that I want it attatched to the frame.Oh and I want a cage because......well safety first The next year I will worry about fuel injection and stuff.