• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wrecked Bronco Rebuild- 2cents requested

RebBronco

Loc.
Billings
Long story short I bought this '73 a few months back, worked on a few things, got my state inspection sticker, and then proceeded to get rear ended 2hrs after it was officially street legal. Just my luck..... Sitting at a stop light when an impaired driver slammed in the back of me and pushed me into the SUV sitting I front of me.

Damage on both bumpers, tailgate, spare tire carrier, exhaust, front clip (gonna try to reuse the grill), passenger rear quarter, passenger door gap, gas tank skid plate.

So here's my current debate..
Do I replace the bumpers with OE style or buy custom bumpers with spare tire carrier? I haven't seen to many LUBERs with custom bumpers.

If I go with custom bumpers what color? Not sure how black would look with the chrome trim.

Anybody ever seen the "chrome" powder coat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 225

Broncobowsher

Total hack
White bumpers to match the top look pretty good, just another option

Good luck with rebuilt 2.0

OP
OP
RebBronco

RebBronco

Loc.
Billings
Took her top off and removed the interior last weekend getting ready for some body work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 110

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Glad you're ok, your rear end looks a lot better than his front end that's for sure!

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I kinda like the way you had it set up! So, id put it right back where ya had it.

PaveBronco

Ugh, makes me sick to see that, hope the rebuild goes well, stock has to be the way to go, white was popular late 60 and early 70's, would look good. I have a stock front bumper you can have, if you’re ever out my way…

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I opened this up thinking poor guy, then I read it and thought how lucky I have been to be alive after being hit by drunck drivers, then i looked at the pictures and thought man thats nothing. :)

You were lucky you still have a Bronco to fix.

If you liked how it was why ask?

I wouldn't pay any attention to anyone on this board about how you should fix the damage. You will ultimately end up with an equal distribution from welding in uncut quarters to full blown rock climber with beat up removeable skins. :)

If you were happy before stay with it, if not fix what you didnt like. It was cool like it was. It would also be cool some other way. Heck its and EB. The only thing I turn my nose up on an EB is seeing one slammed and dragging the ground. But then thats just me.

Have fun.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Chrome powdercoat WILL NOT make you happy! It will be more silvery and dull than true chrome and it won't match.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
Thankfully it wasn't worse, what are you going to do....crap happens! Great looking truck, I like the way you had it set up, but white or black bumpers would look good as well. get her back on the road!

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
If you want aftermarket that look stock go with locofomoco's bumpers they look stock but definitely are not and you can get them with a spare tire mount or without. I think painted would look fine but that's me and it really comes down to what you want in the end we all have different tastes.
http://www.locofomocoracing.com/page2.html

OP
OP
RebBronco

RebBronco

Loc.
Billings
Thanks for the thoughts. The wreck definitely could have been worse, and I feel luck that I was alone and it didn't total my bronco.... although it felt like train hit me since I didn't see it coming.
Only reason I am contemplating a change is that it’s an opportunity for body work on the tire carrier mount and I have to buy new bumpers anyway, but I haven't seen to may LUBERs with custom bumpers for comparison.

Does anyone have a vendor who repolishes trim/molding? Body, window, grill, etc

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you are okay. Here's a couple of Lubers with custom bumpers.

Attachments

• BSB_3504.jpg
    BSB_3504.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 40
  • Ketchup.jpg
    Ketchup.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 43

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Man, sorry about your accident...gald you are ok and looks like your Bronco will be too after some surgery. Anyway, you have lots of options, don't forget you can get your custom bumpers chromed as well, not cheap but when you get exactly what you want, nothing ever really is. The two LUBERS AFL posted look sweet with those bumpers.. almost makes me not want to cut mine.... almost. :) Good luck to you and get that beautiful EB of yours fixed and back on the street where she belongs.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Important thing is your OK! The bronco honestly doesn't look that bad so the repairs shouldn't be too bad. Good Luck with the repairs!