• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

You won't believe what Discount Tire did to my NEW Bronco

Kincade

digmy76 said:
Thanks for all the advice, support and comedy. Reading all these posts actually calmed me down a great deal. Also, thanks for posting Kincade, I figured you must be out of town since I couldn't get you on the phone. Anyway, The estimate came back at about $4,700. Not as bad as I thought. I hadn't really thought of trying to get them to pay for the whole thing to be painted until someone reminded me that it was all original paint and that is now ruined, so the least they can do is pay for the thing to be the same color again, right? The body shop said the adjuster wouldn’t go for that, but I think I will mention the original paint thing and tell him that it is not negotiable. I wanted a Ford front passenger side fender, but no one has them. Carpenter no longer has any NOS. So, I am having them use what Carpenter has now. They (Carpenter) said they fit perfectly and not to worry...Unless anyone knows where I can find a NOS front passenger fender? I am having a new grill from Carpenter as well as core support and mounts. The frame didn't get tweaked and the door alignment is the same, except the passenger side because of that fender pushing into it, but the door itself is OK. New radiator and fan are a definite and the ciebe lights as well. Amazingly, the hood is only slightly damaged and can easily be repaired. That bumper has to be the toughest thing ever. It doesn't appear to have been damaged at all. The cabinets mounted to the wall helped slow it down before the bumper cracked the cinder block wall. I think I will call the shop tomorrow, before the adjuster gets there and make sure that a complete paint job is included. If I need to give the adjuster a "Bronco Expert's" opinion on how the original paint thing was actually "important", whom should I refer him to? Rocky Roads, BC....who? (Besides all of you nuts that would love to explain it to him!!) Someone with actual credibility would be great! Thanks again for all your support!!!

Kincade - Is that a Wildhorse 4 core staggered radiator? And it was for the stock setup right, not a 5.0 conversion one? Was the water pump any special type, or any other items unique that may not be recognized as such? Thanks!

Hayes,

Radiator was a WH staggered core; standard setup. Stock water pump for an 89 mustang; as far as paint, they need to restore it to the condition it was before the wreck. That means the paint matches IMHO. You might want to call a few classic/antique shops and get their opinion; if they deal with classics they should be qualified.

IMHO, getting the hood 'repaired' means bondo, which would be unacceptable for me. YMMV.

Yeah, that front bumper is burly; I always thought that if someone cut me off it would be a rough few seconds for them. ;D

Give me a call tomorrow; Ill help you as much as possible. I'm at a conference, so if I don't answer, just leave me a message.

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

Kincade - I will make sure that bondo is not being used. Thanks for the advice, I'll try and call tomorrow.

msweb

Bronco Guru
astark said:
I suspect some of my litigious, murdering, savage Bronco brothers may be exaggerating a bit in their responses and would in fact look out for and hope the best for the moron as they would wish the wise look out for and hope the best for them. I even suspect they would forgive as they would wish to be forgiven if they had made a mistake themselves. Sometimes stuff just happens and it's how we deal with these things that demonstrates the character developed and outcome arrived at, through such situations. Life is a learning experience for not only the moron, but the wise as well.

To expect that people are good and will do the right thing does not show weakness or a lack of wisdom, but instead puts the strength of expectation into motion towards positive outcome, which I would expect from what I have heard. Discount Tire has acknowledged their mistake, is taking action to correct it and inadvertently provided a training opportunity to a mistake making moronic employee and his coworkers though your patronage of their establishment.

Now with all that said, should they prove not to be good or fail to do the right thing, it is then time to become a litigious, murdering, savage Bronco brother !

Ahhh, Yes Grasshopper, you have learned well

Zen

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
digmy76 said:
Thanks for all the advice, support and comedy. Reading all these posts actually calmed me down a great deal. Also, thanks for posting Kincade, I figured you must be out of town since I couldn't get you on the phone. Anyway, The estimate came back at about $4,700. Not as bad as I thought. I hadn't really thought of trying to get them to pay for the whole thing to be painted until someone reminded me that it was all original paint and that is now ruined, so the least they can do is pay for the thing to be the same color again, right? The body shop said the adjuster wouldn’t go for that, but I think I will mention the original paint thing and tell him that it is not negotiable. I wanted a Ford front passenger side fender, but no one has them. Carpenter no longer has any NOS. So, I am having them use what Carpenter has now. They (Carpenter) said they fit perfectly and not to worry...Unless anyone knows where I can find a NOS front passenger fender? I am having a new grill from Carpenter as well as core support and mounts. The frame didn't get tweaked and the door alignment is the same, except the passenger side because of that fender pushing into it, but the door itself is OK. New radiator and fan are a definite and the ciebe lights as well. Amazingly, the hood is only slightly damaged and can easily be repaired. That bumper has to be the toughest thing ever. It doesn't appear to have been damaged at all. The cabinets mounted to the wall helped slow it down before the bumper cracked the cinder block wall. I think I will call the shop tomorrow, before the adjuster gets there and make sure that a complete paint job is included. If I need to give the adjuster a "Bronco Expert's" opinion on how the original paint thing was actually "important", whom should I refer him to? Rocky Roads, BC....who? (Besides all of you nuts that would love to explain it to him!!) Someone with actual credibility would be great! Thanks again for all your support!!!

Kincade - Is that a Wildhorse 4 core staggered radiator? And it was for the stock setup right, not a 5.0 conversion one? Was the water pump any special type, or any other items unique that may not be recognized as such? Thanks!
I would get more than one estimate. I think it has been mentioned already that you need to find a shop that deals specifically in classics so they will be able to respect the true value of it. When you deal with the adjuster don't forget to get something for the time you have put into it and for the loss of use while it is being repaired. If something doesn't sound right refuse to sign anything until someone else has looked at it. BTW, The adjuster/insurance will know up front that you are at a disadvantage as far as lawyers go. (If you didn't get hurt then lawyers will avoid you as though you have the plague since there isn't much in it for them) Did you have full coverage on it? If so don't be afraid to involve your insurance co. They might go to bat and get a better settlement because they don't want to end up paying anything.

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
Yea, look and shop around, and between you and Kinkade, I believe this issue can be resolved with minimal loss of time, money (on your part) and blood (their part) but if not... 6,000 strong on this forum, we'll fix it (laughter here) ;)

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

Kincade - What type of fan is the mechanical one. Where did you get it and what type specifically. I want to make sure that it is not replaced with a cheap one. Also, doesn't it need to be a reverse rotation fan?

MI-Bronco

green50gt said:
If I were you, I'd go get myself a lawyer, and go to work. They will try to screw you one way other another.

This thread hurts to read, but greens advice is the best I've read. Call Barret Jackson and ask for a lawyer that knows classics. Wind them up and sit back!!! You can add all the receipt's up, but the fact remains that an original was defaced. What would happen if paint was thrown on the Mona Lisa - think it would still be worth $ 50 mil? Probably not.

Get someone that will do the work for you - and make discount pay their bill!!!

Case

i agree with calling a lawyer. it will cost some $$ but will be worth it. you wont have to deal with all the crap as much or get screwed by corporate.

bronco977

Loc.
Bakersfield
A friend took his custom '69 Chevy Stepside to a local shop for some lower ball joints. The newbie mechanic dropped it off of the lift from about 6' up, onto its driver's side, striking the tire machine on the way. After the fur settled, he got the ball joints changed and had all of the fluids and filters replaced, a tune -up, a Car Quest racing jacket and $4,000. The body shop estimate for the repairs totaled $3850. The shop owner was so apologetic that my friend came out ahead on the deal. I hope that your experience goes as well.

Kincade

Hayes,

I got the solid fan from BC broncos; it's a derale reverse rotation solid fan.

If you do get a new radiator, I'd get a thinner one if I were to do it again...

The Cibie lights came from daniel stern lighting; http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I'll call you later today.

BroncoWyatt

Before you guys call out the dogs, maybe they should at least get the chance to do right by him. I own a shop and I would be sick if something llike this happened. We have had a couple minor problems with customers vehicles in the past, and we have always done right by them. Not everyone is out to screw people. Brett

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Out here in California that quote sucks. I dont know where you live but the body & repair shop are way off base. Just a medocre paint job to restore the paint back to a factory paint look would be over 3 grand. Thats without the extensive pannel replacements. I cant tell you what to do but your about 2 grand shy at minium for the amount of work needed. Remember this is not an accident with your car insurence it is a liability claim on the owners buisness insurance. This is not a transportation veichle in this case it is damaged property. It doesnt follow under the same rules as car insurance. Go find a restoration shop willing to take the time to do it right. Stop looking at shops convient to you and the tire shop. You only have one shot at doing it right with these guys you cant go back for a do over. I am not advocating screwing anyone just make sure you get itimized estimates from all shops and compare what the lists say whats needed. Make a list of what the people here are pointing out as areas that need addressing and make sure the people estimating note your concerns from that list too. Dont be in too big a hurry to get this all behind you. any frak at all seek legal help. Remember most body shops make their money by flat rates and pushing cars in and out the door as fast as possible. These guys wont take the time to insure that the truck returns back in your hands in the condition it left your control when this whole mess started.
The key is act profesional, seek profesional help when needed. Do not argue/threaten anyone leave it for the lawyer this will allow this matter to get done right and in a reasonable mannor. if you take it to a personal level things will get tied up in spite issues.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Well it's been a couple months...
does this one have a happy ending?

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
Hey Digmy76, Is that your Bronco at a body shop near downtown Charlotte? It looks like yours with the spray on lining around the corners in your pictures. I live about 2 miles from that shop. I see that bronco on my way to work every morning. I like the new silver gray color. Have you seen the all stock red bronco down there as well? The guys at that shop are real nice. They let me stop and look over the work, but Id have to say that Im more jealous of your drive train than your paint. Man, you have some serious stuff under there :eek:
-Justin

D ROCK

If it were me I would take the insurance quote and compare it to what the manager at DT was going to do, and take the rest out of his and the tire guys ASS! Like UFC's John Macarthy says "LETS GET IT ON!" Just because you work at a garage doesn't mean you are a mechanic. Likewise because you have a drivers license doesn't mean you are capable of driving.

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

JKrieg70 said:
Hey Digmy76, Is that your Bronco at a body shop near downtown Charlotte? It looks like yours with the spray on lining around the corners in your pictures. I live about 2 miles from that shop. I see that bronco on my way to work every morning. I like the new silver gray color. Have you seen the all stock red bronco down there as well? The guys at that shop are real nice. They let me stop and look over the work, but Id have to say that Im more jealous of your drive train than your paint. Man, you have some serious stuff under there :eek:
-Justin

Yes, That is my rig. I think the paint turned out alright, alot better than it was previously. It definitely is not show quality, but the rust spots that were fixed and misc. other things they did make it look really good, but not too good where I wouldn't want to take it offroad, know what I mean! If you are that close to me, we will have to plan some trips to Uhwarrie soon!

schild

I just went to Discount Tire for a free tire balancing and I had to pull it in the garage after the guy got in and looked at the three on the tree and said,
"Is this automatic?".

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
digmy76 said:
Yes, That is my rig. I think the paint turned out alright, alot better than it was previously. It definitely is not show quality, but the rust spots that were fixed and misc. other things they did make it look really good, but not too good where I wouldn't want to take it offroad, know what I mean! If you are that close to me, we will have to plan some trips to Uhwarrie soon!

Yeah, I wish I could go to the get together at Uwharrie at the end of this month, but all of my friends seem to be getting married. But I'd like to get together and get a little more info on your Bronco. Do you live in the NODA area, or are they just a good body shop? Look forward to meeting you. Justin

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

I am actually in Huntersville, but I work downtown. In college, (about 10 yrs ago) I used to lifeguard at that pool across the street from the body shop...you talk about a dangerous place! We can set something up to get together to check out the rigs sometime next week. Let me know what would be a good day and time. Is there a thread to this Uwharrie trip info??

Hayes