• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Consensus on Expolorer MAF w/mustang computer

briancave

Is there a final word on whether the Explorer MAF will work properly with a mustang computer for a 5.0 explorer swap. I've been researching a ton of posts and it seems like some people say it works fine and other really knowledgeable members say no way. I've got a '98 motor and trying to decide whether I need to scrounge for a mustang MAF and what plugs to try to get for the harness. Thanks

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
I have a '97 Explorer 5.0 and 4R70W. Changed it over to distributor with '92 Mustang computer with no problems at all. Except had the junk yard dizzy fail and had to rebuild it recently.

Attachments

• 1968 Bronco engine.jpg
    1968 Bronco engine.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 88

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is there a final word on whether the Explorer MAF will work properly with a mustang computer for a 5.0 explorer swap. I've been researching a ton of posts and it seems like some people say it works fine and other really knowledgeable members say no way. I've got a '98 motor and trying to decide whether I need to scrounge for a mustang MAF and what plugs to try to get for the harness. Thanks

It will run but not nearly as well as it could.

OP
OP
B

briancave

Thanks for the replies. Lebe, That's a good under hood shot. Can you explain all the plumbing on top of the fender. There is a lot going on there. Is that a big coil of fuel line coming off the firewall fuel filter?

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Just doing a quick compare of the 98 Explorer MAF values vs the Fox Mustang values... It would seem to me that the Explorer maf would make the Mustang EFI run lean, especially down low.

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
Thanks for the replies. Lebe, That's a good under hood shot. Can you explain all the plumbing on top of the fender. There is a lot going on there. Is that a big coil of fuel line coming off the firewall fuel filter?

Sorry, been off for a while. That plumbing is the fuel accumulator. I put it in so I don't run out of fuel (with plenty in the tank) on waterfalls or steep inclines like Potato Salad Hill in Moab. But was having what I thought was vapor lock problems so disconnected it to isolate the problem. I think it actually was the distributor needing a rebuild so will reconnect everything soon.