• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is there a consensus on best carburetor?

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Can anyone tell me if the stock V8 air cleaner will fit on the Edelbrock 1406? I found one practically brand new for $150 thanks

Good question. I have a 1404 that I rebuilt sitting on my shelf. I've been wanting to install it.

I don't see why the stock air cleaner wouldn't fit. The stock cleaner allows some flexibility in height and fore aft settings.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Can anyone tell me if the stock V8 air cleaner will fit on the Edelbrock 1406? I found one practically brand new for $150 thanks

Good question. I have a 1404 that I rebuilt sitting on my shelf. I've been wanting to install it.

I don't see why the stock air cleaner wouldn't fit. The stock cleaner allows some flexibility in height and fore aft settings.

Carburetors were made with standard sizes of air cleaner flanges, one size for one barrel and a larger size for two and four barrel.
It will fit.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
thanks, even though it's a good deal, I think 600 cfm is too much for my 302 which is 99% street...the current Holley 4180 that's on it I believe is also 600 cfm...tirewater get that carb installed before it sits too long!! :cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, "officially" a 600 is too big for a stock-ish 302. But in the real world they work out well.
Probably hundreds of thousands of those things running around on smaller engines. Now, if Holley or anyone else has a 450-500 cfm carb you can get your hands on, that's much better in theory. But even still it depends on how it's set up.

I ran a Holley 450cfm spread-bore carb on mine and it ran like a scalded dog until about half throttle, where it literally dropped off so badly you'd have thought I'd closed the butterflies instead of opening them.

The 625 Carter AFB street carb I had ran extremely well. Especially at idle and off-idle throttle response.
Tried a 500 Carter AFB "Competition" model and it had even more power than the larger 625, but didn't have that sweet, crisp off-idle response.
I fixed that by swapping the primary throttle blades from the "street" carb to the "competition" carb and got it all back. Had my cake and ate it too, so to speak.

Ran a 600 Holley #1850 (basic, manual choke model) and it actually ran great under most circumstances. Just could not keep it tuned and the gas mileage was hideous.

In all those cases, I may never have gotten each carb to it's best state of tune for a 302, so results could have been different had I learned more and spent more time fiddling with things.
But those were the results.

Long way of saying that, while 600 might be too big by the book, it's very workable on a Bronco if that's what you have.

Paul

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Holley T/A is easy to tune and stumble proof.
Off camber steady.
Mine never stalls off road.

Just do a little research and a carb is pretty easy to tune.

Whenever I hear one of these pretty smart guys here say they can't tune their carb I usually assume there is something is physically or mechanically wrong with their carb.
Patience and some tuning research is all you need,

Good luck.