• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New gear reduction starter install

Tulsa76bronco

Well installed the mini starter from Jeff's broncos works great and cranks right over much better than old one

drock

Just installed this starter to replace my worn out original and like previously mentioned my 351W starts on the first crank. Easy swap and well worth it.

Last edited:

mini73

Been needing to do this and plan on replacing mine this weekend. Going to go to pep boys or auto zone and ask for a starter for a 1994 mustang. I've read that it is the same and will work.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Been needing to do this and plan on replacing mine this weekend. Going to go to pep boys or auto zone and ask for a starter for a 1994 mustang. I've read that it is the same and will work.

I think Auto zone had the cheapest. New or reman.
I gotta reman. I think it was like $89.00 maybe less.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
As a Chevy guy, my starters would always get heat soak. A solution was to install a Ford style relay and jumper the solenoid wire to the battery cable post AT the starter. When I installed a gear reduction starter I did the same thing. That is not advisable with gear reduction starters. Would you like to know why you run that 2nd 10 gauge wire to the starter? And move the battery cable to the hot side of the starter relay??? Huh? Do you? Cuz , know why!

mini73

This is why I am replacing my old starter with a new gear reduction starter. The original starter that I have on my Bronco is getting heat soaked.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Answer.......The gear reduction starters can develop voltage when it spins. So it will engage the solonoid on the starter. It causes the starter to hang up on the ring gear.

mini73

Problems still!

Thought I would bring this back up. I just got a new remanufactured gear reduction starter this Friday. I took the old one off and the top bolt was a little hard to get too but got it off finally. I installed the new starter and hooked up the wires to the solenoid as I have read on here. Went to crank it up and it turned over fast but it has a weird sound when doing so. Almost like the teeth are not meshing together like they should. I got the right one and it is an automatic which mine is. It still starts I just want to make sure the sound that I am hearing is normal or should it be fixed somehow? Also, since replacing the starter, I still have the "Not wanting to turn over after driven for some time" Problem. I drove it to some places yesterday and the second place I stopped I just about did not get it started. It took awhile. IT just kept turning over and not firing. I did finally manage to get it started and get home but I am a little reluctant to drive it right now till I try and get this solved. I thought the original problem was because of the old ford starter getting heat soak was the problem and going with a new gear reduction starter would solve the problem but I think I still have it. Any suggestions on what to do next?

nathan_1970

Jon, great write up. From start to finish it was 45 minutes. The bronco starts as soon as I turn the key now, no hesitation at all. This has to be one of the top ten best mods to do!

I have to give Wildhorses a shout out, they had the gear reduction starter I needed in stock and had it to my door in 3 days.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks! Glad it's working.
Now, if you live in Lodi, we're going to have to work on our delivery schedule!;D

Paul

BruiserOutdoors

installing a mean green starter, and it has a small jumper wire on the starter. Do I now get rid of the smaller gauge wire that hooks to the right side of the solenoid, or ???