• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why buy an used Early Bronco am radio?

slim811

Contributor
Other than staying original what's the purpose? The Bronco radios I see on Ebay don't stay listed long or are pricey. Is it because the shell is required to have the am radio custom rebuilt to your liking? Maybe Less expensive to have redone rather than paying $300+ from a vendor. I understand they are rare as compared to Mustangs, with less Bronco's produced and less equipped with a radio. Please enlighten me? ?:?

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Reason that I have bought several in the pass and like the am radio is the Vintage/OEM look. I like a bronco to look as original as possible. That why I like the AM radio. Plus I don't listen to music while driving my Bronco. I enjoy listening to the Motor, Transmission, and tires while driving down the road. Call me abnormal.

Specracer

Not abnormal in any way, I agree 1000%. Stock it what is king for me. I could care less about a radio. If our 66 didn't have its original radio, I'd get one, broken would be fine.

. I like a bronco to look as original as possible Call me abnormal.

OP
OP
S

slim811

Contributor
^^^ Howdy, Ab Normal

Don't let any one know, but I do the same. ;)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The ones that the vendors sell which look like the originals are not made to the same quality in terms of their appearance as the originals.
Face pieces on them look like cheaper chromed plastic.

The better way to get a modern radio/stereo that looks original is get a non-working original and have the internal components replaced.

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
Reason that I have bought several in the pass and like the am radio is the Vintage/OEM look. I like a bronco to look as original as possible. That why I like the AM radio. Plus I don't listen to music while driving my Bronco. I enjoy listening to the Motor, Transmission, and tires while driving down the road. Call me abnormal.

Okay you're abnormal!!!;D

I don't listen my radio either when I'm driving, my music is a grumbling rear end, throw out bearing whine, lifter clacking, lift gate rattle, and of course the 6 cylinder donut gasket exhaust leak!!! AWESOME!!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Plus I don't listen to music while driving my Bronco. I enjoy listening to the Motor, Transmission, and tires while driving down the road. Call me abnormal.

I don't run a radio either, I need to hear in case of sudden unknown noisy things about to let loose;)

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"I need to hear in case of sudden unknown noisy things about to let loose"

Me too, but it's after a night of Mexican food and beer!! :eek: ;D

sorry, couldn't resist %)

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
"I need to hear in case of sudden unknown noisy things about to let loose"

Me too, but it's after a night of Mexican food and beer!! :eek: ;D

sorry, couldn't resist %)

Have a beefy bean burrito on me then:D

Eastwood

I have a newer style radio in my 77' but, the dash is unmodified. Did ford put am/fm radios in the 77's or am only?

OP
OP
S

slim811

Contributor
Pretty sure am radios was the only option during entire 66-77 production years.
6b88c363635bf4f8a17d3831d6b17003.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin

Hey abnormal, do you have any extra radios? I've been looking for one, since some PO cut a hole in my dash, thought I'd try and fill it. I do have an extra radio delete dash that will likely go in in the future.

OP
OP
S

slim811

Contributor
405079fae2c706b514952a5c7f004796.png
^^ Yes I believe he did. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the look of the original AM radio. I had mine refinished & added FM & USB. I may send back to have Bluetooth installed.

Attachments

• AM Radio 2.jpg
    AM Radio 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 71

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Here is a copy and past from another site that 6th gen (73-79) F series folks talk about. Could be worth a phone call, to see if he can overhaul/mod an old EB radio.

"For OEM radio help, the guy to use is in Scottsbluff Nebraska. His name is Gene Cochran, and he works out of his house. He's a crusty old codger, but does some tremendous work. While he had the radio apart, he updated some of the internals and cleaned the heck out of everything. My total bill was $25! His number is 308 632-2520 (I checked with him at the time I collected my stereo, and he was OK with giving his number out).

He also lined me out on the manner in which the old radios were wired (mine at least). The speakers are in series meaning positive from radio to positive on speaker #1, negative from that speaker goes to positive on speaker #2. Negative from Speaker #2 goes to Negative on stereo. Now the stock stereo rocks as loud as the little 5 1/2 speakers can handle!!!

While it's there you might see if he'll wire in an aux input jack. I had it done with mine, and it allows me to run my I-pod through it. Basically when the I-pod is connected it becomes the antenna source. Cost in parts was under $5. I set mine on a 12" extension so I could just drill a small hole in the dash by the ashtray, which I'm turning into a covert charging/storage station for my phone and I-pod, won't cost much more."