• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 EFI swap with RJM Harness - Way more info than you ever thought possible

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK, while I was looking up some old brake hose part numbers on my old hard drive I found a part number for a 5/8 in heater hose that is supposed to have a 90* bend molded into both ends, about 12 in apart. It's supposed to be perfect for use with the heater tubes. It's Autozone # M-4336. Apparently it's not available in stores but I ordered one online and will see what I get in a couple days.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
They can be bent, I was going to do the same to my explorer swap. I took my heater core to a radiator shop and had them add some bends to the tubes on it to clear the inner fenders better. I will take photos when I get them back. The mustang heater hoses also have 90* bends in them and are easily found.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My 5.0 had the mustang heater hoses on it when I bought it. They are way too short. If the autozone hose is as it was described it will attach cleanly without having to bend/cut/splice anything.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Here is a great writeup and resource for and EFI swap. You can use just a regular heater hose at the end of the metal tubes. It might not look quite as neat but it still works.

Ben

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
A few more factoids...

Ford used the threaded oil filter block adapter on a bazillion V8 engines, so if you are a junkyard scrounger you can get one there.

You can put the ACT between throttle body and MAF if you want; in theory the calibration will be off since the A9xx series of computers are expecting air that's already been heated a bit, but it doesn't seem to matter in practice.

Headers: Those of you running an automatic transmission or a manual tranny with a hydraulic clutch have another option. The headers Ford Racing sells for using P heads in a Mustang will fit. (Part no. M-9430-P50, http://www.oemfordparts.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1156). It's a tight squeeze above the passenger frame rail but a good exhaust guy can deal with it. They won't work with a mechanical clutch linkage- they interfere. I modified a set of WH shorty headers to work. No. 7 tube was the only one that had to change. Lot of work though. But I wanted headers and I have the stock clutch linkage.

The later Explorer engines used a returnless fuel system. As far as I know no one has made that work on an early Bronco. A simpler option is to find a fuel rail off a Mustang, Crown Vic, etc. Any 5.0 engine with passenger side throttle body. I got one for a Mustang 5.0 on Ebay for around 10 bucks, but that was a long time ago.

If you want to add a little bling, look for a set of Mustang 5.0 valve covers. Direct swap, a little more stylish than the stamped steel Explorer parts. Again, I got a set on Ebay, probably for less than what the shipping would cost now.

Speaking of which, this isn't specific to the Explorer swap, but EFI engines require sealed valve covers. If you use a valve cover with an atmospheric vent (for example stock EB covers) you have just introduced a massive air leak as far as the computer is concerned. Keep the stock 5.0 PCV setup, andwith the vent hose running from the oil filler neck to the throttle body or alternatively to a spot on the tube between MAF and t/b.

Nice job on documenting everything, Tito! I wish I'd had something like this when I did mine back at the dawn of time.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
You got it Lars, I appreciate all the help you have provided....now you want to help me find and adapt one of those dealer add on AC pumps so I can have OBA ;D ;D ;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Tito,

I have a york pump (large style) that I've been saving for a while. I've looked at mounting it to the explorer ac bracket for OBA. Two problems I can see right away; 1) the york is too wide, you'd have to add a minimum of an inch clearance to the stock inner fender. 2) You also need to move the exp ps pump resevoir. This is on a non body lifted bronco. The york mini model is about an inch narrower.

I think I'll just try to find a way to use the exp ac pump for OBA. I would like to hear other folks experiences with this though.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am sure Lars will give some info on the Explorer AC but in short it didnt work very well and burned up 2 of them in a season. He had a pre-lube setup and everything and it wouldnt work. I dont have any issue chopping out some inner fender to get a york to fit, can you get a serp pulley to fit on it or better yet is there one out there with a serp pulley?

I melted my reservoir anyway in the fire (nipple melted a bit) and I need to remount anyways since I only run a 1" BL and it doesnt fit without notching the hood brace. I plan to either make my own or just remount it somewhere else. I heard the astrovan had one that was steel that you can put a second return in for hydroboost. I need to look at them while at the yard. The ones I saw last time seemed to be tiny.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Kilby Enterprises sells serp clutches but they're pricey ($145). I have heard that some Volvos came with the serp york.

I was just at a yard yesterday looking for the metal fan. They had a 98 explorer w/5.0 complete except for the ps pump and dipstick. I didn't have any luck getting the fan off so I may go back today with the correct tool.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Tito,

One thing I found at the yard yesterday was a combo resevoir from an explorer, don't know the year. It fits where the old washer resevoir went and put the coolant tank on the driver's side (I went with a 5.0 radiator). Best thing about it is the bronco wiring fits already. Plug and play baby. I just need to move my winch solenoids to the fender now. This will also help clear the pass fender for efi electrical and air filter.

Attachments

• IMG_0117 small.jpg
    IMG_0117 small.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks I knew that one but mine had a different setup and was crunched. I will add that to my list as I have never actually had an overflow...well besides the earth.

You mentioned Volvos for possible sanden or york compressors with serp. Any other info you can provide on these, I'll try and find one.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No, sorry. Never paid much attention to the serp systems until I decided to go efi. I did read about a guy taking a 2 pulley v-belt clutch and machining it so the serp belt would fit nicely on it.
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARyorkPulley/YorkPulley.htm

Another option would be to add a serp/v-belt combo pulley to the ps pump or alt.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/yorkcomp.php

Here is a good list of york donor cars:
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/york/York_Donors.php

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK, I did some research today on the serp yorks. Apparently big rig wrecking yards are the place to get them. You have to be careful though, some are 12v and some are 24v. If they have a black clutch wire they are 12v, green is 24v. I also found a real good thread on the mod here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485088

6daze

Hmmmm...I don't see an area to drill for the ACT on my intake. Not sure year mine is, maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot...Is it between cylinder 5 and 6?

I guess I will need to get some tubes. Is this just a cleaner look than having rubber hose running back to the heater core?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hmmmm...I don't see an area to drill for the ACT on my intake. Not sure year mine is, maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot...Is it between cylinder 5 and 6?

I guess I will need to get some tubes. Is this just a cleaner look than having rubber hose running back to the heater core?

Yes ACT goes between 5 and 6. Sometimes you will find a dimpled area there. My lower didn't come from an explorer so it was already drilled. Some people mount the ACT in the air tube between the MAF and throttle body.

I have the mustang heater tubes. They have a port for the ECT sensor and a nipple for the EGR coolant line. If you're not going to use the EGR you can put the ECT somewhere else on the lower manifold, preferably near the front where it's hotter.

Attachments

• IMG_0118 small.jpg
    IMG_0118 small.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0120 small.jpg
    IMG_0120 small.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 327

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
I have a dumb question. What is the sensor to the left of the last injector toward the bottom front of the mani(left pic)? I have a 96 with this sensor.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I have a dumb question. What is the sensor to the left of the last injector toward the bottom front of the mani(left pic)? I have a 96 with this sensor.

Water temperature. It's the sensor for your dashboard gauge. You can re-use the stock one off your 302. Same thread. I still have the original nearly 40 year old sender in mine. Still works.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Onboard air experiences

I've burned through two OEM style Explorer a/c compressors. The Explorer compressors, like most (but not all) light truck and car compressors found on later Fords, are made by Visteon. They are NOT Sandens, though conceptually they are similar (axial piston design). The Visteon pumps may be fine when used for a/c, but I'd been told they don't hold up well for OBA. Which was my experience.

I did post-mortem inspections on the ones I cooked. Even though I run a mist style tool oiler on the inlet, no oil was getting to the center section of the pump where the piston drive is. Everything was bone dry and galled to oblivion.

I'm now running a Sanden compressor. Sandens have a built-in oil reservoir with a fill plug. Took a bit of effort to find one that I could make fit with a few mods. So far, so good. Here's a link to a thread describing the swap. It's on the Norcal Broncos board. Site is reeeaaalllllyyyy slow, so you'll need patience waiting for it to load: http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3186

A York swap would be interesting. Jack Covert of Elk Grove designed a bracket once that adapted the smallest style York to the Explorer setup. Only issue is finding the correct serpentine style compressor. New, they are spendy. At this point if I was doing that I'd be tempted to cut the inner fenderwell if necessary. A York is a really nice unit.

On the other hand, I know of at least one person who is using an Explorer (Visteon) compressor and hasn't burned it up yet. If you already have it, you have nothing to lose by using it. Just be ready to shut it off quickly if the clutch starts smoking. The little rubber biscuits that retract the clutch can catch fire. Ask me why I know...

Last edited:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Power steering reservoir

I started humbly. I have hydroboost, so I wanted an extra return port on the reservoir. I screwed n' glued a plastic 3/8" hose barb into the side of the stock reservoir, after tapping the hole for (I think, it's been a while) 1/8" NPT. I had to relocate the reservoir lower on the bracket, because with a stock hood and only 1" body lift, it wouldn't clear otherwise.

I was never quite comfortable with the glued fitting. Tax return showed up, I got caught up in the desire for bling, and ordered one of these from PSC: http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sr102-6-ps-reservoir-for-hydroboost-p-153.html
Stock, it was too tall. They made me a custom version that was an inch shorter. I wish it was bigger (more volume) but iit works. Looks stylish, too. Helps get the girlz...

Also visible in the pic is the first Explorer a/c compressor, shortly before it cratered. Strange pipe fittings and hose at the back of the reservoir are the OBA connections.

Attachments

• PSC reservoir.jpg
    PSC reservoir.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 286