• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

408 Stroker Progress

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Let us know what his dyno numbers are OK?

Also, several of us would be very interested as 500lbs at 2k seems a bit generous... 475 at 2,700rpm sounds very doable... I'd like to see that combo dyno out those #'s... Hope you get those #'s... what other engine specs, ratio, head gasket, etc are you running?

Great looking build...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Let us know what his dyno numbers are OK?

Also, several of us would be very interested as 500lbs at 2k seems a bit generous... 475 at 2,700rpm sounds very doable... I'd like to see that combo dyno out those #'s... Hope you get those #'s... what other engine specs, ratio, head gasket, etc are you running?

Great looking build...

No offense, but I have no intention of dynoing other than to tune. I built the motor to reach full torque between 1500 and 4000 rpms. I used the comp camquest dyno to select the cam but it does not allow you to plug in the stroke, so the numbers are going to be low. It indicates 422 at 1500 with a peak of 450 at 2500, but that does not take into the account the stroke.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Uhhh, I just tried camquest and used it to decide on a camshaft for a 347, it let me vary the stroke length.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Absolutely no offense! : ) It's your build and it's sounding good.

Several locals found a place that for $50 they let us have the dyno...buddy hooked his 302 up to it for a WHOPPING 140rwhp!! %)

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
The stock Mustang rail, extended out for the 9.5" deck motor, will hold 500hp. The SN95 rail, extended of course, will hold about 600hp.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I've been making a few tweaks here and there and it's starting to dial in. Had a short test drive today and the little torque monster feels pretty good! My remote oil filter has a small leak which pisses me off and a little exhaust leak where the collector meets the exhaust pipe, but all in all it's going well.

Attachments

• badge.JPG
    badge.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Definitely get the QH if you want it to run right. If I can get my laptop working again, I can help with the initial tune. Or, for $100 you can get very good base tunes. The O2 sensors I am talking about is the wide band that you have a gauge for, not the regular narrow band the computer uses. The one I have is called Innovate and it hooks up to the QH for datalogging. Without a wide and, you are really just guessing...

I know some people had had luck using the stock tune from the mustang, but it is definitely not a good idea since you modified the engine so greatly over what the computer is expecting.

I would really like to see how you have that set up. Are you running a third sensor? The way it's running now I know it's got a lot of potential.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Took 'er out for a short cruise and it ran like a champ. Idles at about 750 rpm and takes off fantastic. It even runs about 20 degree cooler than the 302 HO motor ran. Got a little wire cleanup to do but I'm very happy with the reults so far. Can't wait to get a tune and see what she can really do.

Attachments

• stroker.JPG
    stroker.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Well, it ran absolutely great yesterday afternoon but this evening it was cutting out really bad. It started and idled perfectly but I when I took it for drive it was cutting out bad. I could see the tach drop to zero and then bounce back up. When I let off the gas it would die.

I got a 96 code. Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC did not sense battery voltage on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit. I'm not sure what that means or how to trouble shoot it.

I did notice the alternator wire was loose, so I tightened it up but the problem did not go away. I have a fuel pressure gauge and it does drop a couple pounds when the engine stumbles, but I think that is from losing power. I'm wondering if I have a bad relay?

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
You can hardwire the fuel pump and bypass the computer all together to make sure you are getting ample fuel. That being said, you probably have a bad fuel pump relay - hard wiring the pump will help diagnose this, but don't keep it like that permanently.

Eric

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I don't even use that portion of the harness, I've just got a fuel pump on it's own power circuit that I turn on with the ignition.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Running Great

Well, after making a few adjustments to the distributor and timing the stoker is running really well. It's idling smootly at 700 rpm. Engine temps are hovering around 190 when warmed up. Checked KOEO and KOER codes and nothing but EGR and smog pump codes. Took it for a ten mile drive this morning and it ran perfectly.

I've ordered a Quarter Horse tunner with plans to upgrade the MAF and injectors, but it appears I've put the gremlins away for now. I'd say this conversion is a success. Unfortunately it is a couple weeks late of the Unevent.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Glad to hear the good news.We need a get together to eye your work.Until then how about a good pic of that hood. I'm sure your not done....What's next? At the rate your going you will be parking it next to the blue one at the Show N Shine.:eek:

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Glad to hear the good news.We need a get together to eye your work.Until then how about a good pic of that hood. I'm sure your not done....What's next? At the rate your going you will be parking it next to the blue one at the Show N Shine.:eek:

Here's picture of the hood. It may look like overkill but I can close it and everything fits.

I'm not really into the show n shine gig. I used to do that with a few show cars I had but I got tired of all the detailing with a q-tip.

My next project is upgrading the front and rear differentials to 4:11 gears.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 76

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Show N Shine doesn't really apply to EB's. It's more about the mods and individual custom parts that make them what they are. Most of the EB's at The Unevent were purpose built without mutch attention to Shine.Thats what makes them different than a Mustang or Camero.
Weather you want it to be or not your EB will be one to draw attention. A job well done....that's never done....

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I should have pulled my jacket off the roof before taking that picture. I was using it to keep the hood from getting damaged when I had it resting on the windshield. :p

I have to get it painted to match the rest of the truck.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Very nice - I figured out quick that my hood won't be going on without some plasma cutter time...

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
So how about some updates? How is that motor running with the stock tune - get your Quarterhorse stuff installed?

I'm getting close to installing my motor this spring - looking for a confidence boost :)

How many sets of tires did you go through so far :D

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
So how about some updates? How is that motor running with the stock tune - get your Quarterhorse stuff installed?

I'm getting close to installing my motor this spring - looking for a confidence boost :)

How many sets of tires did you go through so far :D

It's running really well and I'm quite pleased with it. I haven't done any tuning yet and the way I drive the tires will last forever.