• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

408 Stroker Progress

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
How did you end up tuning it? Did you take it to a shop, or have you been playing around with the tube yourself? How about the wide band O2 sensor - did you hook one up?

Thanks

Eric

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
How did you end up tuning it? Did you take it to a shop, or have you been playing around with the tube yourself? How about the wide band O2 sensor - did you hook one up?

Thanks

Eric

I've played with the tuning a little bit but I did not like the EV6 style injectors because the adaptors seem really loose. I have the quarterhorse hooked up and running base tune. I installed the thrid O2 sensor and hooked up the gauge in the cab. I'm running damn near perfect fuel/air ratio. When I get around to picking up another set of injectors I'll play with the tuning. At this point it is running really well so I'm in no hurry. Got to pay income taxes before I spend any more money on it. :(

I'm working on my hydroboost in the mean time.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Question on your Qtrhorse tuner... I'm looking at Megasquirt for a 418 I'm presently building.

Wondering what your opinions are on the differences btw the two ECU's..pro's and con's.

Followed your build last summer, sure is a sweet looking build.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Question on your Qtrhorse tuner... I'm looking at Megasquirt for a 418 I'm presently building.

Wondering what your opinions are on the differences btw the two ECU's..pro's and con's.

Followed your build last summer, sure is a sweet looking build.

I did a little research and went with Moates. I don't know anything about the Megasquirt. It's pretty easy to load tunes with the Moates, but there is a huge learning curve if you want to customize the tune. I think you'll find people that swear by either one and people who swear at both. I kind of regret NOT doing a little more research. Usually I research things to death before jumping in. Do your research and talk to GOOD local Ford tuners, then decide.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I thought I was the only guy that researched everything to death!! So much so that I'm still running a Q-jet... :) and danged pleased with the result. No loading up or coughing or sputtering, easy quick starts... BUT, I know that I'll pick up some throttle response with the EFI. I'm sure I'll be pretty satisfied jumping from my 351W to a very well built 418, but being efficient and getting the most from the stroker is important to me.

thanks for the tips.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I've installed the new maf, throttle body and injectors and the extra power is impressive. The BBK throttle body has great response. I've been playing with the tuner and getting some good results. Pretty big learning curve but I'm slowly getting it dialed in. Heading to the Moates factory in Baton Rogue on the 19th for some hands on training. During my datalog cruise today I could barely keep from spinning the wheels. Lots of power and torque!

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
IloveMaui, what did you find that was causing yours to stumble when it went to idle? I just put my 393W in and it will fire but die and with a little throttle will run smooth. If I let off the throttle, it will not idle more than a few seconds before it dies. I'm going to buy a can of either tomorrow and check for vaccum leaks. I did a complete swap from my explorer engine to the stroker. Everything was running fine on the 302. I'm not getting any codes. I have a tweecer and have turned off EGR. If anyone else has suggestions, I'm open.

thanks,
Renard

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Did you set timing at 10 BTDC with spout unplugged?

Have you adjusted the throttle screw on the throttle body with spout and IAB disconnected, then compensated for it in your tune?

Is TPS set around .95?

What parts are we working with here? All Mustang OEM or some aftermarket?

Which MAF and did you dial in your tune with your injector flow info?

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
See below:

Did you set timing at 10 BTDC with spout unplugged?

Yes, I had to do it with my hand on the throttle to keep it going.

Have you adjusted the throttle screw on the throttle body with spout and IAB disconnected, then compensated for it in your tune?

I tried this last night. But it was at a very high idle and when I measured the TPS, it was out of range at about 1.1V

Is TPS set around .95?

I've adjusted it back down below 1V for now.

What parts are we working with here? All Mustang OEM or some aftermarket?
I'm running:
- 95 mustang EEC, MAF and harness
- Explorer GT-40 upper, 351W GT-40 lower, Explorer TB, IAB, 19lb inj, etc
- Shorty headers
- 4R70W

Which MAF and did you dial in your tune with your injector flow info?

95 Mustang MAF. I did try a tune last night for teh injector flow that raised everything by 30%, but that really didn't affect anything.

It really acts like an air/fuel issue. I'm going to recheck everything this AM and look for vaccum leaks.