• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

408 Stroker Progress

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Looks like you put in an MSD distributor. Hopefully yours has a functioning TFI module - mine was crap from the beginning. It would start and run, but it ran like absolute CRAP! I chased that issue for a couple of days. Worst part was that, since everything was new, everything was in question.

Also, peek inside the distributor under the rotor - the wires inside mine actually interfered slightly with the rotor when it spun. I was happy I happened to see that before I started it for the first time. Overall, I was not pleased with MSD QC.

Good luck!

Eric

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Wow Ken lots of progress (in a PNW heat wave,none the less). We need a get together to unvail the Torque Monster.....So,what's next?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Looks like you put in an MSD distributor. Hopefully yours has a functioning TFI module - mine was crap from the beginning. It would start and run, but it ran like absolute CRAP! I chased that issue for a couple of days. Worst part was that, since everything was new, everything was in question.

Eric

I've heard of tuners having issues with these as well - thankfully the PO of mine stripped the MSD guts out and install all Ford internals (which never fail) and I've got what I wanted anyway, a superior body with reliable guts.

Nice to see you got it in there - was it easier to point the intake that way or is it just the way your throttle setup was left? My first EFI conversion has the intake pointing the other direction...

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I've heard of tuners having issues with these as well - thankfully the PO of mine stripped the MSD guts out and install all Ford internals (which never fail) and I've got what I wanted anyway, a superior body with reliable guts.

Nice to see you got it in there - was it easier to point the intake that way or is it just the way your throttle setup was left? My first EFI conversion has the intake pointing the other direction...

Too much stuff in the way on the driver's side.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well you guys scared the hell out of me with the MSD horror stories, so I sent it back.

Good move. they're total crap. Their problem is in the shaft support. Or lack of support I should say. The msd has a bushing in the top and nothing in the bottom of the case to hold the shaft centered. The play in the shaft causes misfires due to the pip being grounded out. Mallory makes a really good one. Bushing in the bottom and bearing in the top. No misfires.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Well the EFI stroker fires right up after a little surgery to get the passenger side header on. It idles great at start up then slows down and stumbles. I tried running codes but I can't get my code light to blink. I've checked all the fue and disconnected all the extra stuff going to the battery, stereo, projectors, fan, etc and still no codes. Not sure what to do next. I'm thinking the stumble is from the tps. I disconnected the tps and it run about the same.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Too much injector is much better than not enough - bigger injectors work perfectly fine at low duty cycles...

x10. I always run injectors in my build that see 30-40% duty cycles on even the higher end of the table.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Received the Mallory distributor today. A much nicer unit than the MSD. It just feel more stout.

That. Took me a while to wean Bax off of his MSD addiction but he's clean as an Olympic athlete now:D.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Well the EFI stroker fires right up after a little surgery to get the passenger side header on. It idles great at start up then slows down and stumbles. I tried running codes but I can't get my code light to blink. I've checked all the fue and disconnected all the extra stuff going to the battery, stereo, projectors, fan, etc and still no codes. Not sure what to do next. I'm thinking the stumble is from the tps. I disconnected the tps and it run about the same.

What exactly is happening? Just stumbles, or the idle surges? Does it smooth out if you press the gas pedal in a little? Do you have the TPS set properly? If you have a moated, you can easily check the output voltage, otherwise you can probe for it. If you are getting the right voltage, move on.

What about the IAC - it is going to let more air in at first start than at normal idle. I forget, did you apply a tune to this yet? Do you have a wide band O2 hooked up? The wide band should tell you what's going on since it sounds like a fuel/air issue at this point.

Eric

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
What exactly is happening? Just stumbles, or the idle surges? Does it smooth out if you press the gas pedal in a little? Do you have the TPS set properly? If you have a moated, you can easily check the output voltage, otherwise you can probe for it. If you are getting the right voltage, move on.

It starts up fine cold and runs pretty smooth until the idle drops then it stumbles quite bit. If I give it gas it smoothes out. When I let off the gas it stumbles and eventually dies. I have a new tps on it.

If I turn the idle up to 1200 rpms it runs smoothly.

What about the IAC - it is going to let more air in at first start than at normal idle. I forget, did you apply a tune to this yet? Do you have a wide band O2 hooked up? The wide band should tell you what's going on since it sounds like a fuel/air issue at this point.

I have the two O2 sensors that were on my 302 HO. No tune and I have no way to tune at this point. I was considering the quarterhorse.

Amac70

ME
I have a friend that just dyno tuned his 408 bronco at fast specialties over in vancover, might give them call and see what it would cost.

Fast Specialties

(360) 213-27811200 NE 95th St, Vancouver, WA 98665-8905

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
It starts up fine cold and runs pretty smooth until the idle drops then it stumbles quite bit. If I give it gas it smoothes out. When I let off the gas it stumbles and eventually dies. I have a new tps on it.

If I turn the idle up to 1200 rpms it runs smoothly.

I have the two O2 sensors that were on my 302 HO. No tune and I have no way to tune at this point. I was considering the quarterhorse.

Definitely get the QH if you want it to run right. If I can get my laptop working again, I can help with the initial tune. Or, for $100 you can get very good base tunes. The O2 sensors I am talking about is the wide band that you have a gauge for, not the regular narrow band the computer uses. The one I have is called Innovate and it hooks up to the QH for datalogging. Without a wide and, you are really just guessing...

I know some people had had luck using the stock tune from the mustang, but it is definitely not a good idea since you modified the engine so greatly over what the computer is expecting.