• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooter's Explorer 5.0/4R70W Swap

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

I've been chipping-away at the engine. Decided to keep the original cam. New head gaskets & ARP head bolts, new oil pump, new water pump. Had to replace two of the water pump/timing cover bolts that had snapped during disassembly. Lots of degreasing, soda blasting and paint stripping, but things are finally starting to come together.

45051097085_98900c69b8_z.jpg

45051097005_da986eb2d5_z.jpg

I painted the engine block with Dupli-color engine primer and paint w/ceramic in "Cast Iron" color. Valve covers are gloss black. I like the look so far.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I just found this thread...
That waterpump bolt almost always breaks (atleast for me out in the junk yards). same goes for the upper one on the other side...
Really nice looking engine! bet you can't wait to get it installed.

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

I just found this thread...
That waterpump bolt almost always breaks (atleast for me out in the junk yards). same goes for the upper one on the other side...
Really nice looking engine! bet you can't wait to get it installed.

I'm excited, but I've got a long way to go!

Question about intake manifold gaskets: On my old 302 I ditched the gasket pieces that run across the front and back of the block in favor of a large bead of RTV. Is that the preferred method on these Explorer engines as well, or should I use the pieces included with the gasket set?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have used RTV on every 5.0 roller motor intake that I have assembled, I think I am up to 7 now... Only thing I will use.

I have more issues with the rear main seal leaking than anything else. :(

Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Do you plan on running the explorer oil pan? What exhaust manifolds?

The Explorer pans fit fine, steel or aluminum...

The exhaust manifolds fit fine as well, I wouldn't use the 96 tubular manifolds, definitely restrictive. The 97-01 for P-heads work well, some will say they are restrictive, others will say they work fine. Bronco hut headers are reported to be the best fitting, I just couldn't get passed the price.

Dorman also makes replacement exhaust manifolds (China) if you have a cracked or broken one.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I'm excited, but I've got a long way to go!

Question about intake manifold gaskets: On my old 302 I ditched the gasket pieces that run across the front and back of the block in favor of a large bead of RTV. Is that the preferred method on these Explorer engines as well, or should I use the pieces included with the gasket set?

Ditching the supplied pieces is good. I ditched RTV after I discovered Right Stuff

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Do you plan on running the explorer oil pan? What exhaust manifolds?

Yes, I’m planning to use the aluminum Explorer pan. For exhaust I’ll retain my existing long tube headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. I too was going to ask .. What RTV do you guys like. So many different ones.
.. & Yes I LIKE THE RIGHT STUFF Also. I even used it under my Windshield Hinge . Also to me it's easier to Control the Flow from the tubes.
... Always Buy Fresh stuff .. What ever brand you buy.

bsquared

Contributor
904 Bronco helped me out with the part number for a reverse operated heater control valve and hoses. Sorry, I don't have that info with me here, but I had to do that and had to get creative with one of the heater box control lines. Had to mount one of the lines to the Explorer PCM box.

EFIGuy gave me a tip about using Dodge Neon coil packs instead of the stock Exploder ones that limit you to using the stock Exploder wires. With the Neon packs you can make your own cut to length wires. However, you will need to make a bracket to mount the Neon coil packs. (pics attached)

Good luck with your build! Cheers, B2

Attachments

• 5HeaterLine1.JPG
    5HeaterLine1.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 437
  • 6WithPacks.JPG
    6WithPacks.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 494
  • 4PassSide.JPG
    4PassSide.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 450
  • 3DriverSide.JPG
    3DriverSide.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 445
  • 5Front.JPG
    5Front.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 444
  • FinalSetup.JPG
    FinalSetup.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 468
OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

904 Bronco helped me out with the part number for a reverse operated heater control valve and hoses. Sorry, I don't have that info with me here, but I had to do that and had to get creative with one of the heater box control lines. Had to mount one of the lines to the Explorer PCM box.

EFIGuy gave me a tip about using Dodge Neon coil packs instead of the stock Exploder ones that limit you to using the stock Exploder wires. With the Neon packs you can make your own cut to length wires. However, you will need to make a bracket to mount the Neon coil packs. (pics attached)

Good luck with your build! Cheers, B2

Thanks for the info and inspiration. Do you remember where you read about adding a pulley to the throttle cable? You were showing it to me at Hidden Falls a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsquared

Contributor
Thanks for the info and inspiration. Do you remember where you read about adding a pulley to the throttle cable? You were showing it to me at Hidden Falls a few weeks ago.

Oh Shoot! Didn't realize that was you, bud! Pretty sure it was called the Lars Mod. Lemme do a quick search on that and reply.

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

I just noticed a broken nipple for some sort of crossover hose(?) on the rigid heater tubes that are mounted to the intake. Not sure how important this hose is, if I should attempt to have someone repair this, replace the whole assembly or somehow block it off. Any thoughts?

45121711975_31dd2e3e92_z.jpg

32162688218_5d61f30a57_z.jpg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
If memory serves me correctly... With that By-pass, water is always flowing through the pipe so that the ECT sensor sees a correct engine temp reading...
Might be easier to find a replace Heater pipe, than to try and repair that one...

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

If memory serves me correctly... With that By-pass, water is always flowing through the pipe so that the ECT sensor sees a correct engine temp reading...
Might be easier to find a replace Heater pipe, than to try and repair that one...

Good points. It might also help prevent air pockets in the cooling system? I'll see if I can scrounge one up at the Pick-n-pull. I also need to try to find a firewall box for the ECU and an air filter box.