• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w Camshaft Synchronizer - Options Request

pa69broncoguy

you probably will not find another bolt in, I didnt even know this option was out there. Some have said a msd sensor had been available but i havent been able to find one.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
someone on here made an adapter for one, might try searching.

OP
OP
ryan287

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the options. AEM does make one for about $70 more. Seems like this type of conversion hasn't really hit mainstream with the lack of options out there. I originally got the idea to go with a coil on spark route from the muscle car street/strip forums. There's a whole world of engine mods for EFI I didn't even know about out there. This is all part of a switch from Edelbrock EFI to the Holley HP with sequential multi-port injection.

I think I'm going to go with the Pricemotorsports piece - the guy on the phone was really knowledgeable.

Thanks,

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You might be able to make one out of an old TFI distributor. Cut off all the windows and take a single strip of metal bent into a half circle and weld it in.

pa69broncoguy

Thanks for the options. AEM does make one for about $70 more. Seems like this type of conversion hasn't really hit mainstream with the lack of options out there. I originally got the idea to go with a coil on spark route from the muscle car street/strip forums. There's a whole world of engine mods for EFI I didn't even know about out there. This is all part of a switch from Edelbrock EFI to the Holley HP with sequential multi-port injection.

I think I'm going to go with the Pricemotorsports piece - the guy on the phone was really knowledgeable.

Thanks,

I think it looks like a nice part at a reasonable price, When I got the parts for mine i paid like $118 for the new syncro and $75 for the machined adapter and the synro doesnt come with the sensor from ford. If you get it let us know how it works out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check the thread by EFIGuy here about Explorer setups with coil packs. Don't know if the signal is the same as the one Lars is using that was derived from another unit, but there are people using them.
Don't remember the details, but might be worth a little look at what EFIGuy is doing.

Good luck. Let us know how it all comes out. Sounds interesting.

Paul

OP
OP
ryan287

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
One of the issues I'm finding is the DIS systems deployed by Ford were used on 5.0's & 302's, but not on 351w 's. The drive shaft for the oil pump is different, which means (from some of the forums I've read) that I would need to hack apart 2 distributors and put them together. Unfortunately, precision machining and welding are not in the cards for me.

Kills me too, I can get a 302 cam sync for $45 at Summit.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Its been a few years but if I remember correctly, I took the aluminum 5.0L housing and welded it up and recut it on a lathe. having access to a machine shop is beneficial... Used the shaft from 6 cyl. motor.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
yep. 3.8l v6 and the machined collar drops right in. but i cant remeber who has the collars. maybe efiguy?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
That's what I used... 3.8l with a collar to space it the needed amount.

Works great, cheap alternative, stock OEM part...

What 64 bit tuning concepts is offering is exactly what you need.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have some collars I turned from materials leftover from my build. Can check the shop to see if I can lay my hands on them. I think I had an ad in classifieds. i checked and there is a locked thread. i can make you a black friday deal on one if you want. PM me if interested. no rush

Hank

Last edited: