• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

393 starter/ alternator recommendatios

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
hey guys. moving along with my buid here and its time to get a starter and 4g alternator for my 393 with explorer front dress. does any one recommend any particular brand or model for each? or is it just as good to go ahead and grab one from any of the parts houses?

thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have not heard of any specific brand recommendations that I can recall. Other than the first choice usually being Motorcraft or a junkyard pick from an old Explorer!
We've actually got a good one of each (ALTERNATOR: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/130A-4G-Alternator-Explorer-Serpentine-Belt/Bronco_Starters) (STARTER: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Gear_Reduction_Starter/Bronco_Starters and have had good luck with it so far as I know. But shipping would be a problem when you could source them locally as well. And I could not tell you what the brand is either, as it's probably sourced from a specialty electrical supplier and might even be under their own name.

For years the BBB brand (under various sub-names and private labels) has been considered a top brand and found in almost every parts store from chains to mom-n-pops. I'm a fan, but I'm also skeptical now, that they could keep that same quality after being the BMOC for over 15 years and branching out into other markets without letting some quality slip.
Sad to say that, since that's the cynical side showing, but I've seen it too many times to ignore the possibilities.

They've got a big and still relatively new ISO plant just over the border in Mexico and spent a lot of time taking over the smaller USA rebuiliders/manufacturers/resellers of alternators and starters. And now they're branched out into other products as well.
Hence my skepticism...

But they're still the only name that comes up other than the typically more expensive traditional brands.
Any leads on Motorcraft units? Good junkyards around you?
I guess ignore the junkyard suggestions since it sounds like you're in the "all new" category at this point with that engine. (y)

Paul

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
thanks paul. i opted for a couple i seen on amazon. it might have been a mistake i guess well see. i had some gift cards to use so it wont sting as bad if i screwed up lol. i just feel like i still have so much to buy to get my rig on the road that maybe i should try some of the cheaper stuff and if it doesnt pan out then ill replace it with quality stuff. but yea i guess i am an all new kinda guy at this point! lol.

57baja

Contributor
hey guys. moving along with my buid here and its time to get a starter and 4g alternator for my 393 with explorer front dress. does any one recommend any particular brand or model for each? or is it just as good to go ahead and grab one from any of the parts houses?

thanks!
On my 5.0 i used a high output from summit for a foxbody mustang. I have the rjm harness and it plugged in fine. I also used a mini high torque starter from summit works great

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
On my 393 I just use a good parts store alternator for a 2000 explore, no issues so far. For starters I use a 92 F150 5.0 5 speed starter from the parts stores. I was using the DB electric starter for a while. Both seem to work fine.