• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3rd Annual MEB Wrench and Roast.a Winner!

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got enough electric to run a couple of those portable jobs?
Tough to set up gears when you keep dripping on the teeth,
smearing the pattern :p

Those two portable AC units saved our arses. While it was 100 degrees outside it was probably 'only' about 85 or so in the shop. Thanks OX!!

The big industrial AC unit I've had lying here for years is going to get installed soon..and certainly before we do another build in July.:p

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Got back home about 4 this afternoon. Had a blast - LOTS of work. (And the pig was great!)

bmc and filly - Thanks for hosting the event.

Dave and Ellen - Wow - what a list! We didn't get everything done BUT we did get a whole lot done. Complete Duff's suspension intalled; New big bearing 9 inch refurbed and installed; DisK brake conversion installed; New gears and lockers installed; and Complete Painless harness installed.

When I left they were still working on installing the 23 gallon BC gas tank - so I'm assuming that got done too! As Bill mentioned the Cleveland threw us some curves - mainly the custom exhaust interferring with the new Duff stuff. Ox did a great job setting up the diffs. He must like the 44 though - he spent a whole lot more time on it than he did the 9 inch!!

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bmc and filly - thanks for opening up the compound to all who came, wrenched, cooked or just hung out and offered moral support. Other than the intense heat and humidity it was a great weekend.

This is what's it all about in the bronco community - get a bunch of guys and gals together with various skills and proper tools, throw in some bad words and sweat, add some great food and a whole lot of work gets done in a very short period of time.

As for the great food, thanks to Matt and Chris for roasting the pig, thanks to the recipient's wife Ellen for bringing all the yummy breakfast goodies and dinner side dishes, thanks to Allen Fahey's wife Lisa for manning the grill and thanks to MEB for paying for all of it (food, not bronco parts)!

Pics coming soon!

OX1

Bronco Guru
He must like the 44 though - he spent a whole lot more time on it than he did the 9 inch!!

Another great year!! First time for me @ the compound, what an awsome setup. I was happy to hear there was at least one non running vehicle left on the property :p.

TEMPS!! brutal.......

Dave, you have a trooper there. Hopped right in with the boys wherever she could.. .......

And that 44. Wasn't until I got heat Alzheimer's and I forgot to put the oil slinger back in, removing 15 thou instantly from the shim pack, that we started to get somewhere %). The final shim pack thickness was on the order of half the original. (That, and I wanted to make sure no one made me weld......... :p)

That and a 9" gear set that does not allow you to remove the pinion assembly due to what we think is the way the gears are cut (mesh). New one on me, never seen that before.

Pics (HAHA, and you all thought it might be W & R pics, I didn't take a one ;D) for dave on the mounting of the shorties. This is a 400, so I think the deck height is slightly higher (Bill??).

Attachments

• DCP05058.jpg
    DCP05058.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DCP05059.JPG
    DCP05059.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DCP05060.JPG
    DCP05060.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DCP05061.JPG
    DCP05061.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DCP05062.JPG
    DCP05062.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DCP05063.JPG
    DCP05063.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DCP05064.JPG
    DCP05064.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 14

OX1

Bronco Guru
The big industrial AC unit I've had lying here for years is going to get installed soon..and certainly before we do another build in July.:p

Roger that. BTW, I kept my promise and didn't tell anyone you were doing things you weren't supposed to be, all day long. :eek:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yes, with the shorter deck height of the 351C that passenger side will get very close to the top of the frame. The 400 fit is actually better than the 351C. Also the sanderson headers will come very / too close to the inner fender wells. I burned the paint right off mine. Then I trimmed them up about 4''
Sounds like you all had fun.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Well sounds liek you guys had a good time and got alot done. Sorry I missed it!!! It was hottter than hell!! I had work to do around my house and I was thinking of you guys!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
GOOD JOB guys and gals...looking forward to pics

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, with the shorter deck height of the 351C that passenger side will get very close to the top of the frame. The 400 fit is actually better than the 351C. Also the sanderson headers will come very / too close to the inner fender wells. I burned the paint right off mine. Then I trimmed them up about 4''
Sounds like you all had fun.

Whoever put the C and those wild full-length headers in David's rig originally cut out most all of the inner fenderwell panels already. He's going to have 'fun' getting the old headers out...probably easiest to cut them up...but the FC-3s should go in easy.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL...we were laffing about this last night as we were winching the rig on to the trailer so David and Ellen could relax for the evening and prepare for their long ride home: The last two years W &R, a pile of parts and some kind of rolling frame assy would arrive and get pushed in the shop. Both years it was a source of pride to all involved (and always a shock/surprise to guys doing the rewiring, of course:D) that the same rig would drive over the official 'break in' rockpile and then load itself on the trailer.

This year?....a running and driving truck arrived and we send it home not running...with lots of work to be done before it will.

Does this mean I failed at my first attempt as Wrench and Roast manager? :-X

wpaeb

Loc.
Clarion ,PA
A thank you to Bill and Judi for being great hosts.
The cook's all did a fine job. What a spread we had all weekend!
I had a great time. Wish I would of got a little more done. The drive home went well. Got in around 9.
Great meeting David and Ellen. They're going to have a very nice Bronco.

Fordfilly

Loc.
Ford Part Heaven
Roger that. BTW, I kept my promise and didn't tell anyone you were doing things you weren't supposed to be, all day long. :eek:

Don't even think that I didn't already know what he was doing.....that is one huge reason you all didn't see me in the shop much at all. I'd be having to kick his butt if I was in there watching him. LOL!

Oh and those wiring experts should be real happy to know that the A/C in our upstairs office waited until they were done to break down....major replacement costs for our office now but it saved us all this weekend!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Had a great time as we always do at MEB events!

We probably should have driven Pat's Escape down when she met me at work In Baltimore. Instead, we stuck with the original plan and rode my bike. Damn hot trip in full riding gear to say the least!

Although not all the list got knocked out, I think we were able to deliver a huge shot in the arm to Dave's project that got this rig much closer to what he has envisioned!

The food was great as was the hospitality at the compound.

Thanks to everyone who helped out and to Bill and Judi for hosting it this year. I guess I'd better start cleaning my shop up now for next year so it might be done in time! :-X

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
See, bill , the pics prove it....flex pipe, the perfect solution....;)
I was glad to take part in the event finally...Happy to see old friends, and glad to make new ones...Dave, Ellen, BEST of luck with that rig! Don't forget your deadline ;)

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some final pics...

dscf1110.jpg

dscf1104.jpg

dscf1107.jpg

dscf1102.jpg

dscf1116.jpg

dscf1101.jpg

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
very cool, all that and pretty faces too? who knew?

OX1

Bronco Guru
Don't even think that I didn't already know what he was doing.....that is one huge reason you all didn't see me in the shop much at all. I'd be having to kick his butt if I was in there watching him. LOL!

Nah, he was really good, much better than I could have been. I think he liked playing forman1 though........:p