• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

408 grocery list. What do you think?

4x4x289

408 grocery list. What do you think?

I developed this after researching the net and talking to a few dozen people. There’s way TOO much information on the internet. My motor is a roller ready from a F-350, 1994 crate, with 30k miles. My heads are E7TE, -soon to be boat anchors. My pistons were overheated and collapsed. . Everything else checked out good, and I my local machine shop bored it .30. They can assemble my stroker kit for $250, but I might just do it myself.

408 stroker kit.
Looking at cnc-motorsports, eagle crank, 27.5 cc dished keith black, to give 9.4:1 w/ 62 cc heads
Also looking at adperformance, eagle crank, 28 cc dished jesrp forged, 9.5:1, 61 cc heads

Edelbrock performer rpm air-gap

AFR 185 alum heads, 61 cc.

Holy projection 950

Hooker fenderwell headers 9814

Jeffs oil pan kit, 10115

Ebay heavy duty motor mounts

Comp cam, not sure what size, but I want something aggressive for 80% street.

Going zf, centerforce clutch and atlas.

Oh, and i'm turning 40 this year, my mid-life crisis, so i'm trying to make it worth while. They only come once. ;D and I've waited 40yrs for this.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a good base just watch the camshaft pic while you may want a aggressive cam you may no like what you get with a aggresive cam especailly for a street vehicle. Let the cam manufacturer know how you want it to react/drive not sound. They will take into accout your overall gearing and get you a cam you should be happy with remember a EB is not a drag car. But you can get it to move like one with the right stuff. Hope the projection works out for you. I think you'll like the Hooker headers be sure to get them coated they look great in the fenderwells I have people pointing at mine all the time.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ditto on the cam comments..but then you did say 80% street use.
I hope you meant Holley Commander 950 injection and not Holley ProJection. The first is as superbly performing as the second is lacking. No comparison..but people still confuse the two. I'm sure that Holley wishes the Projection would simply just go away..they did not rename their new system something completely different just for grins.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running the Commander TBI system on my 408, BTW. It is an awesome performer and has been super reliable too.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Either of those kits will be fine. Just did an Eagle kit with KB pistons for a Ranger project. Those are some nice pistons.
Friend is doing a mustang 408 with JE pistons. Those are some nice pieces as well.

May I recomend an Explorer front dress? You will have to have the Balancer rebalanced, but it is a nice way to finish off the front of the motor.

OP
OP
4x4x289

4x4x289

yes, holley commander 950. dang expensive, but worth it, i'm told
yes, adperformance is quoting me with jesrp.

don't know much about the explorer package. i must research that one. I do want serp setup.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
Sounds a lot like my engine buildup. I am happy with mine. I would reccommend the SRP setup. They are a different alloy forged piston better suited for a street engine.

OP
OP
4x4x289

4x4x289

tabascom16 said:
Sounds a lot like my engine buildup. I am happy with mine. I would reccommend the SRP setup. They are a different alloy forged piston better suited for a street engine.

tabasco,
what is your dish and chamber size?

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
28cc and 61cc. I did the calculations myself and the compression ratio is right around 9.6 It runs fine on 89 octane. I have yet to try 87.

OP
OP
4x4x289

4x4x289

Well I did it!!! I ordered Summit's esp-16524030. I feel younger already!

Summit's price was cheaper than adperformance and cnc-motorsports, plus, Summit answered their phone. The pistons are Keith Black.