• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

408 Stroker Progress

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I started with 1995 Bronco F4TE motor and put together a 408 stroker.

Eagle 14123 Forged kit
Trick Flow 185 CNC Twisted Wedge Heads
Comp Cam 35-514-8 Cam
Ford Racing roller lifters
Harland Sharp roller rockers
GT-40 Intake
MSD 8452 Billet Distributor

Final product will include Explorer Serp.

Still working out the fuel rail detail and what size injectors.

Here's a couple pics for you're viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• 408-1.jpg
    408-1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 408-2.jpg
    408-2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 338

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
drooling-homer-simpson_large.jpg

krisbassett

Looks awesome! I have been dreaming of either a 408 or 427 stroker!! Let us know how she runs!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Very nice - ditch those valve covers for something that will play nice with your EFI :) Factory aluminum EFI valve covers fit under that intake just fine...

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm close to finished with my motor as well-

I went with 42lb injectors on my 357 - a little overkill, but there is room for growing :D

10.4:1
Trick Flow 185 CNC Twisted Wedge Heads
Probe Flat Tops
Comp Cam 35-518-8 Cam
GT-40 Intakes
MSD 8452 Billet Distributor w/Ford guts
Hooker fenderwell exit headers
Mustang harness & A9P PCM

I'm not certain on what fuel rail setup I'm going to run either - it will be a stock setup as the aluminum aftermarket stuff is a waste of money in this application. I'm going to be VERY curious if you ever dyno that motor - we nearly have the same build besides stroke and a little cam...

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
At first - no tune at all. It will run and drive fine without any tweaking - I'm either going to have a chip burned or have a friend tune it with a Tweecer setup (depends on $$$)

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^ I'm no expert, I'd suspect you might get it started but would be hard pressed get a stable idle with 42lb injectors while the ECU is expecting 19lb. You've doubled the flow, the ECU needs injector scaling to fuel correctly. (again not a Bronco/Mustang expert, just lots of experience with EFI tuning in general).

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
42lb injectors are made to be used up to 550 hp, so does the rest of the motor match that capability? Just trying to save you some pain and cost.

I'd try 24lb (300hp), maybe 30lb (385hp). While using matching throttle body/MAF

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
^ I'm no expert, I'd suspect you might get it started but would be hard pressed get a stable idle with 42lb injectors while the ECU is expecting 19lb. You've doubled the flow, the ECU needs injector scaling to fuel correctly. (again not a Bronco/Mustang expert, just lots of experience with EFI tuning in general).

My Pro-M MAF is specifically calibrated for 42's - it will run perfectly fine as the MAF will send the corrected data to the PCM.

42lb injectors are made to be used up to 550 hp, so does the rest of the motor match that capability? Just trying to save you some pain and cost.

I'd try 24lb (300hp), maybe 30lb (385hp). While using matching throttle body/MAF

Both of our builds are running big hydraulic roller cams and twisted wedge heads - we are well beyond the 300hp mark, 42's are nearly perfect for this setup. 42's max out (@80%) at ~550hp - throw on the occasional 100 shot of the giggle gas as you are nearing the 80% threshold of your injectors... Too much injector is much better than not enough - bigger injectors work perfectly fine at low duty cycles...

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
My Pro-M MAF is specifically calibrated for 42's - it will run perfectly fine as the MAF will send the corrected data to the PCM.
Good deal, that's going to be an awesome setup! Same with OP motor, can't wait to see some more progress details... ;D

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Very nice - ditch those valve covers for something that will play nice with your EFI :) Factory aluminum EFI valve covers fit under that intake just fine...

Actually I just have to plug the driver side and install an explorer filler neck on the other side and I'm good to go.

I doubt if I will ever dyno it just because that's when I'd probably lose the trannie or make a pretzel out of the driveline. I'm anticpating over 500 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Actually I just have to plug the driver side and install an explorer filler neck on the other side and I'm good to go.

I doubt if I will ever dyno it just because that's when I'd probably lose the trannie or make a pretzel out of the driveline. I'm anticpating over 500 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm.

Oh yeah, that works too. I'm sure you will make that kind of torque - should be fun ;D