• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

427 in bronco?

Hades

427 in a 74 bronco? Anyone ever heard of this? A stray thought came by and I'm wondering if it's worth it/possible...

Ratch

Contributor
A 427 side oiler would be sweet, but would probably be a little on the heavy side. And then there is the size of the beast. There are a few guys on here that have 351 Windsors stroked out to 427" though.

OP
OP
H

Hades

Ya, I was figuring it would be a heavy load, do you think the engine bay would need to be cut out to make room for it?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
It would fit with some minor trimming. If a cleveland will go an FE will too but those sucker are heavy.

OP
OP
H

Hades

I think the largest problem I see with doing something like this would be the weight. But it would be kinda cool to try.... Not gona lie

Ratch

Contributor
Oh, and if you do put one in, get ready to break stuff when you apply right foot to pedal.

turbotim2

There are quite a few with 390's in them and the 427 is the same size. The 427 is lighter then a 460 so it has that going for it.

baglock

Do you have a real cross-bolt main side oiler 427? If not, forget about it. It's way cheaper to stroke out a 351w with all the bells and whistles.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
There's a hell of a cool factor, but I think there are better choices.. There's even a few Powerstrokes stuffed in some of them.. Anything's possible, just depends on desire..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I guess I should ask, which 427?
427 FE based engine (then again you would need to sub-catagorize which 427; standard, side oiler, cammer, tunnel port, etc.)?
427 stroker based on a 351W?
427 stroker based on a 400M?
427 big block Chevy (old engine)?
427 GM LS7 (new engine)?

Lots of 427 options.
What were you thinking? (you can read the meaning of that last line in so many differnt ways)

Bhall75

Loc.
Atlanta
It honestly depends on what you want to do with the bronco. Seems a bit overkill unless you plan on drag racing! you can build a 302 to have plenty of hp and torque. i would build a small block stroker. If not get ready to beef up your front suspension.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm building a EFI 427 Windsor for my Bronco - going to mate it to a NP435 and an Atlas 2. I'm going to destroy everything after the output yolks of the transfer case...

OP
OP
H

Hades

Thanks for all the replys,

Ya, It was something that was floating around in my head, I just didn't know how many have done that before. I don't think I will be able to go thru with it, the 302 I have in right now is powerful enough already, but thats not to say I may not Wana try the job on another bronco later down the line

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Coby did a stroker version of the 427.
A Cammer would be awesome.

Welcome to the site..

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I've only seen pictures also, and I believe one of the Top Truck Challengers had a 427 in his black Bronco. This was about ten years ago. I talked to a guy who's had plenty of Broncos and currently has one with a 460 in it, and his opinion is that its better to stick with a built up 351. However it would still be rad.