• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

427 Stroker

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I did figure out the wiring. One of the harness plugs on the firewall had a circuit completion wire in it that needed to be plugged in to work. All is good now. Starts and idles real well and sounds good. Now need to finish assembly and drive it.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
The truck is up and running now. Runs real nice no issues yet. Way more power than is needed really but fun. I still need to do some tuning as it does run a bit rich and low end is a bit soft because of it. Also I used two of these mufflers and they are way too loud.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17657

Need to change this. Also I have a Holley sniper drop in tank fuel pump in a plastic stock style rear tank. Does not work well under hard acceleration or hard left turns I lose fuel pressure. Think I need a new tank also.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, too loud is cool sounding at the track, but gets very old, very quickly when cruising the neighborhood.;D

Are you "crossed over" with this setup? Just wondering if you have a cross-over (X or H pipe) or if they're still discrete duals. Joining them together does help at least a little. It's not usually enough to overcome loud mufflers, but it can mellow the tone a bit.
Or are you already set up that way?

Paul

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I have the headers and exhaust pipes outside the frame rail. No real way to run a cross over pipe. Would love to have one but dont think I could fit one.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
WoooooHoooo... Glad to hear it is up and running well! Exhaust noise gets old fast. I cut my floors and modified them so I could run a 50% longer muffler than I'd ever needed on my Bronco since I bought it in 1976. I'm up to a 20" bodiedUltra flow muffler, dual exhaust, absolutely no room for a crossover, 4 linked, 3" inlets, .much better sounding AND you can carry on a conversation -- not when hammering it tho :) ...

My mufflers are btw the frame rails and rockers... the bottom of each muffler sits 1" below the top of the frame rail... no clearance issues.

Once again...congrats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Went out last night for a quick ride. Hard to find time to drive it lately. As some may have seen I have the engine for sale to do something different.

Every other time I have tried to due a full throttle run it has uncovered the fuel pick up in the tank and killed the motor. Having a full tank takes care of that for now. So last night I was driving with the laptop watching the computer data for the Haltech. It is still learning and correcting and doing a great job. Nice and smooth. Needs a bit more tuning for off idle throttle stab but not bad. I decide after I take a curve to go full throttle. This thing makes sweet early power but I would say about 3000 it takes off like crazy power. Makes the truck a complete handful with tires looking for traction. Then I let off and find out the throttle is stuck wide open. Stab brakes real hard locking up fronts and full skid. Get to the key and shut off and coast to side of road. That was not the most fun thing I have ever done. Cable linkage some how caught in the air cleaner. Not sure exactly how but will fix this. SO glad it happened only to me and not my son or daughter. Note to all make sure this cannot happen. This can end badly. Totally my fault but just make sure you check it.

That being said this motor is very borderline way too much for a small Bronco. I cant believe I said that but it is crazy. I love power and acceleration but this is nuts.

The new coil over front and rear handles real well. Flying across the desert this motor would be great I think but on the street and trails easy to get in trouble with it.

Plan now is to pull this motor and build a motor that pulls hard from idle up to maybe 5000 max. Well see.

jgrow

The same thing happened to me driving a dinky lil Explorer 302 efi'd. That freaked me out something good! I could only imagine the soil I'd find in my pants if it had a stroked 351 and happened.

Been fun reading about your build. Keep up the good work.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
:eek:

Always good to check the throttle linkage/cable for possible snags. I had a friend who was building an old Willies hot rod with a 540 Merlin and it had a butterfly style intake on it with a linkage tied into the throttle linkage. He had it on it's virgin run running out of a 2.5 gallon gas jug inside the cab and slapped the throttle to show off to his neighbor as he cruised by...throttle stuck wide open as the linkage flipped over center and held it there. He mashed the brakes and killed the ignition, but it was doing 70 MPH at that point and he barely got it hauled down to a stop before putting it off the road and into a nearby patch of trees.

Needless to say, with big HP/torque come big responsibility to do your due diligence...and FWIW, I have some serious engine envy.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It is weird the cable had plenty of clearance in the shop and was checked. Something seems to have lived with the air cleaner to get it to stick. Either way make sure you all check it. Cables offer no return even with two really good springs.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Glad you are safe...that's all that really matters!! ;)

Sounds like the engine is everything you wanted!!! ;)

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• IMG_0400 (1).jpg
    IMG_0400 (1).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3929.jpg
    IMG_3929.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3934.jpg
    IMG_3934.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 51

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Boost controller failure, caused detonation. bent/broke every rod (Scat H-beam, Dart block/heads)
The timing was only set to retard to 24* at full boost, full boost was supposed to be limited to 6lbs during the initial run-in prior to dyno tuning. Looks like it went to >30 lbs. I didn't have the dataloger on, so not sure. I was just running to the parts store......(that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it).

New parts are at the machine shop, going to incorporate some redundant safety features this time (I wouldn't expect expect my wife to so understanding if it happened twice.......)