• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 170ci straight modifications more power ideas

Paul_4284

i have a 66 half cab with a 170 six cylinder in it. Any one have any suggestions on mor power ad ons or good rebuit kit for it. Open to all suggestions> Please help

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I need the same info as I love my 170, I know someone will say to junk it for a V8 but I like the mileage and the low end it has. it just needs some upgrades

CraigS

For your first big change, I would suggest changing to a 200. That gives you almost 20% more cubic inches and won't be a visible change on the outside. A '77 or earlier 200 is a good candidate because it will have forged rods instead of cast steel. Another good upgrade would be a Duraspark setup out of a later model Falcon six. The 144-250 sixes are the Ford Falcon line. A 250 is out of the question if you want to retain your current 3 speed. It has the later small block V8 bell housing pattern. Check out www.fordsix.com for hundreds of ideas for getting more power out of your inline 6. I am currently building a 250, turbo charged, with roller rockers, cam gear drive and an Australian 2V head. E-mail me if you have more questions.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D A transplant use a 351W and you will have it lots of power and a blast to drive. ;D ;D ;D Bill 8) ::) :p ( Its been a long time but a guy named ack miller did some things with a 6 its in the ford book)

CraigS

Avoid Clifford. They are expensive and offer little in customer support any more.

uncut69

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
An old idea is to add 2 more stock carbs on the intake, rig up a progressive linkage. Saw this on a 64 f100 many years ago, ran great until it pitched a rod.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Back in the 60's I put 3 carbs on the falcon's ect I was a Ca. smog inspector and by doing that they were EXEMT from the Ca. smog laws most were just fake but a couple were hooked up and working but 3 carbs is a pain in the a$$ to keep in sink. 8) 8) 8) Bill 8) ::) :p

OP
OP
P

Paul_4284

[quote author=J-DUB link=board=5;threadid=8467;start=0#60269 date=1030484741]<br>How about a new cylinder head?<br>[/quote]<br><br>What type of cylinder head?

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
The beauty of a six cylinder bronco is in the simplicity of the stock engine. When I think of a bronco with a six I think of tooling around with the top off, driving 55 down the highway. No real hurry to get anywhere. Off-road is a first gear low range crawl through the wilderness, slow enough so you can pick up the lady-slippers tucked under the pines...<br><br>I wouldn't touch a straight six bronco. or mabye I'm just dreaming...

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
[quote author=Paul_4284 link=board=5;threadid=8467;start=0#60627 date=1030590170]<br>[quote author=J-DUB link=board=5;threadid=8467;start=0#60269 date=1030484741]<br>How about a new cylinder head?<br>[/quote]<br><br>What type of cylinder head?<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>I am not sure who makes it, but I have seen them. If not just get the head all cleaned up(the pollished half of port and pollish), and new valve springs, etc.

jims66

Look at the Ford Six site. They are always talking about the Australian six head. It has a removable intake and is more adaptable to improvements. They are on e-bay occasionally.<br><br>Jim

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
[quote author=jims66 link=board=5;threadid=8467;start=0#60768 date=1030630245]<br>Look at the Ford Six site. They are always talking about the Australian six head. It has a removable intake and is more adaptable to improvements. They are on e-bay occasionally.<br><br>Jim<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thats the one, thanks Jim.

alsroadster

Loc.
Sandia Park, NM
Yep the Ford six site is my SECOND favorite site to hang out. Anything that's ever been done or thought about doing to a Ford six comes up there. There are guys with FI, turbos,and recently there's been a lot of talk about gear drives! They also don't mind helping with simple newbie ?? either.<br>I'm gettin ready to put a 2 barrel Holley-Weber 5200 on mine. I also got Hooker dual outlet headers that I want to get coated first and I've got almost everything I need for my Duraspark II upgrade. Good-luck!!

JMurray

I happen to have an Offenhauser tri carb setup somewhere in my basement, it has a pair of 1barrell holleys on each end & you use your carb in the center. I was gonna put it on my Maverick, just never got around to it. Im sure I have the air cleaners too. <br>$150.00<br>Jerry