• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66-77 bronco motor's?

BC boy

Loc.
BC Canada
Which motors came in which years from factory. If a early bronco came with a staight six, would you have to change the trans to go to a 351?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
you do need to swap in a v-8 tranny when dunping the 6 cyl. The v-8 was a 289 til 68 or 69. Then the rest were 302's.

saddlebronc

Loc.
TJ
Yep, you need a transmission that can handle V8 power. Also, the adapter to the transfer case is longer on a 6 cyl. setup, so you'd have to change that too. Or it wouldn't fit with a V8.
Cheapest route is to find an original 3 speed Trans. out of a V8 EB. Look in classifieds. People give them away, now and then.
good luck....

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Yes, the 6 cylinder transmission is not strong enough, also it is not the right length. 1974 should be the last year of the 6 if I remember correctly

U

Unregistered

I'm looking at a 72 with a decent body and a 300 six. Did they come with those motors or were they 240's? And Thanks

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
They never came with a 300. Originally it was the 175-6. After a few years they did increase the displacement but I'm not sure what they went to. I wanna say 200cid but I just don't know.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Thw 351 is alot easier to swap in than the 300 too. The 300 is externaly huge, much larger than the older, smaller sixes.

OP
OP
B

BC boy

Loc.
BC Canada
Did the 66-74 bronco's come with straight six 250's? I've had good luck with the 351 windsors in a few crown vics. Strong good running motors that have a nice sound. Mine didn't have a muffler so it was a little loud, I liked it.

Last edited:

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
hehe hehe he said "turd". My 351w is sweet bruddah! Although my next project is to collect a 5.0 and AOD with all Emissions crappa and stuff it in my poor bronco...

OP
OP
B

BC boy

Loc.
BC Canada
Until I can get a 351 and trans ect, would it be a easy switch to put in a newer injected4.0 V6? Would the bellhousing bolt up? I have onr sittin around, if not there are lots of other motors around.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
HotWheels said:
hehe hehe he said "turd". My 351w is sweet bruddah! Although my next project is to collect a 5.0 and AOD with all Emissions crappa and stuff it in my poor bronco...
Hey mick, why not EFI your windsor? I would love to help you with that:cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Back to the original thread....

Original 6 was a 170, then grew up to a 200. Gearing with the 6 was 4.10 standard with 4.56 as an option.
The 250 is the same family as the 170 and 200, easy to swap in, but why?
The 240 and 300 are a differnt family.
For all you ford straight six needs, go here http://www.fordsix.com

Since the 6 cylinder engine is longer then a V8 (just a bit narrower though) The transmission adaptor is shorter. There is a kit that uses the 6 cylinder adaptor, adds a block to bring it to the V8 length and allow you to cheaply bolt up a NP435 trans.

Do a search, there is a lot of info already on this board about swapping to a V8. Motor mounts need to be cut off the frame and replaced with V8, etc.

For the 4.0 V6. NO. It doesn't bolt up. You would have to transplant a bunch of eletronics, which is good if you were getting the power out of it. The only hope of a 4.0 is to swap engine/trans/transfer out of a soccermomobile. you would not be impressed by the results of all that work. I have one of those engines sitting in a ranger with a cracked head. Even that is getting a V8 for a replacement.

I think that gives the answers to the original thread.