• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 EB Sandrunner under development

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Sorry....I meant I have rec'd the swaybars. I have to fab the mounts. Still looks like the pics above with all tires off and on jackstands with the suspension full compressed.

The short one with the angled arms is for the front. It will pass through the frame underneath the front tub body support.

The long one w/straight arms is for the rear and will be above the frame in front of the axles. The arms will be cut and have an S-curve to them to space them laterally out from the frame to run outside of the shock bodies.

I've got all the heims and material for the links & tabs needed.

All I need now is the time to do the work.

Attachments

• DSC00936.jpg
    DSC00936.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00937.jpg
    DSC00937.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 49

68ford

Bronco Guru
what rear springs did you end up running? did you retain the stock front hanger?

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I ended up with a 1645F53 Deaver (60" long - I believe it's an early 80's F-series spring...SUUUPER soft). I did keep the front hanger (kind of). I ended up having to gut most of the mount, but I kept the inside surface & hole location to keep everything square. It's a 3" wide spring, so I had to widen the mount, and move the perches on the axle. I also made custom rear hangers/shackles to accommodate the new springs (you can see those at the top of pg 13) The lower mount for the rear shackle is about 2" behind the body, at full compressed, the top is about 6" behind the body.

I'm real happy with how everything is coming out, just wish it was going faster, but with family and work commitments, the Bronco gets time when I get time.

I thought I had pics of the front mounts, but looking back I guess I missed that. My wife took the camera this weekend, otherwise I'd post one up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
You can somewhat make out the front mounts in 2 of these pics...

Other 2 show the shackles and hangers for the rear.

Attachments

• 080707 Radius arm mount pass.jpg
    080707 Radius arm mount pass.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 080707 Radius arm mounts rear.jpg
    080707 Radius arm mounts rear.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 061107 rear suspension.jpg
    061107 rear suspension.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 90
  • 060607 shackle hanger.jpg
    060607 shackle hanger.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 99

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
so... they STILL haven't came out with the matching rear glass fenders yet?

...why don't you use those rocky roads rear fenders! ;) hehe, be a good weight loss program 4 ya too, as you'd prolly toss yer lunch every time ya saw them!

I kid, but that thing is look'n SWEET!

I am curious how well the winsheild support will hold up tho. I had a simmilar set up (minus the cross brace) and the constant shake'n still mannaged to SNAP the steel strap/plate welded to the cage! :( Mine was welded to the cage and bolted to the winsheild frame.

HOPE ya better luck there than I did! Otherwise, it looks like a Chevy eater!!!

:cool:

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Winshield tabs are 3/16" thick, we've got a similar set-up on my friend's EB, but without the gussets, and it has held up fine.

No....no matching bodysides yet. Still holding out hope, but if I don't see something by early spring, I'll be going a different route. (but definitely not RR style...)

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Rear swaybar progress....

Worked on getting the rear swaybar installed.......and my garage buddy :cool:

Attachments

• 111307 garage buddy.jpg
    111307 garage buddy.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 111307 rear wheelwell.jpg
    111307 rear wheelwell.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 111307 rear swaybar pass2.jpg
    111307 rear swaybar pass2.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 111307 rear swaybar pass.jpg
    111307 rear swaybar pass.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 105
  • 111307 rear swaybar drvr2.jpg
    111307 rear swaybar drvr2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 111307 rear swaybar drvr.jpg
    111307 rear swaybar drvr.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 140

68ford

Bronco Guru
might be just the pics, but i dont think the swat bar will work mounted there, looks like the links will be too short and limit droop. all sway bars ive seen in long travel setups, have the arms about flat at ride height. theas your axle drrops the end links will bcome straight with the arms and they could flop under. maybe just pics, but i would install links and cycle before commiting to any placement.
links may need to go through floor at full compresion.

68ford

Bronco Guru
the angle between link and arm at ride height should be real close to 90 degrees to be most effective i think.

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
The arms still have some length to be added (probably 4-5") with the brackets that the heims bolt into, so the links will be running vertically down to the axle. The arms will angle slightly upward at full compressed to maximize the length of the links. The suspension there still has about 4" inches to go before full compression. (stroke of the airbumps), and ride height is about 4" off the bumpstops. Angle is going to be real close to 90 degrees between link/arm when I'm done.

The length of the total sway bar arm is almost the same as the distance from the front eye to the center pin of the leaves. At ride height, the angle of the arm is about the same and pivots in parallel with the front spring eye of the link pack (think similar to how a track bar and drag link operate in parallel equal length paths.)

For the link to completely flatten out to the arms, there would have to be a change in length from the axle forward greater than the length of the bar arm + the length of the link. It doesn't change that much, but everything in there is just tacked and I always cycle everything to confirm it doesn't bind (note the single leaf and spacer block in the pack). Good advice though...too many people don't cycle their suspension and they find out way too late the something doesn't work.

Any pics of your swaybar set-up? (I like the new halfcab look in your galllery...cool rear cage. Did you ditch the leaf springs?)

68ford

Bronco Guru
i dont have a sway bar yet, waiting on that. the truck is far from done. i ended having deaver make me a set leafs. they are roughly a foot longer, i think they are based on the ranger race pack. and i bought a set of camburg shackles which are about 7in long. went with a 3in dia tripple bypass hoping to not need air bumps but we'll see. ill post pics soon, has sustom spring mounts front and rear to keep it low. axle to frame distance at ride height is the same as stock eb, going to need to trim more ;D

68ford

Bronco Guru
yeah they hurt the checking account ;D
thing are huge, there 16in travel and the lower mount is on side of axle housing as low as i could get it, and they are still almost above the bedside.
wasnt going to go with such a big shock, but with duel spaeres outside the rear of the truck and 40gal of fuel................
and i can move my 2.5tripple up to the front.

on the subject, what thickness of shims did king set you up with on your front shocks? did you order the c/o and bypass at the same time?

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I don't have my front bypasses yet. I was using my rears for mock-up. The coil-overs were valved under the assumption they were going to run solo (now not the case) so I'll have to re-valve those when I buy the extra set of bypass shocks for the front. It's been so long since I bought them at this point I have no idea whch shim stacks I have in them.

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Rear swaybar all in position

Got the endlinks, arm to axle links and all the tabs fabbed up and welded in over the Thanksgiving holiday (used up some Vacation time I hadn't been able to use this year.)

Some of the pics are at full compressed, some at 13.5" extension (so it still has another 2" to go to full extended.) No worries about the swaybar flopping over, everything cycles great. On to the next project.....

Attachments

• 112407 Swaybar axle mount.jpg
    112407 Swaybar axle mount.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 112407 Pass swaybar extended2.jpg
    112407 Pass swaybar extended2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 112407 Pass swaybar extended.jpg
    112407 Pass swaybar extended.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 85
  • 112407 Pass swaybar arm ext.jpg
    112407 Pass swaybar arm ext.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 112407 Drvr swaybar extended.jpg
    112407 Drvr swaybar extended.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 112407 Drvr sway bar compressed2.jpg
    112407 Drvr sway bar compressed2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 112407 Drvr sway bar compressed.jpg
    112407 Drvr sway bar compressed.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Some suspension cycling and got the pass side leaf spring re-assembled and re-installed.

Attachments

• 112507 Pass Rear Susp Front view.jpg
    112507 Pass Rear Susp Front view.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 74
  • 112507 Pass Rear Susp Rear view.jpg
    112507 Pass Rear Susp Rear view.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 112507 Pass rear suspension.jpg
    112507 Pass rear suspension.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 109

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Some suspension cycling and got the pass side leaf spring re-assembled and re-installed.

Scott: Is the bumpstop hitting your leaf spring at ride height? And are you using the leaf as the "target" for the bumpstop?

Todd Z.

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
The suspension is set at ride height to be right in the middle of the 16" of travel for the shock (8" compression/8" droop). At ride height the bumpstop is ~4" off the leaves. Yes, the leaf springs are what is being used for the bumpstops to react off of in the rear. (I believe Ironbender's rig is like this in the rear if I remember the magazine article correctly...One of the pics showed a similar set-up.) I went this way in order to get the bumpstops as far from the centerline of the truck as possible to make sure if the suspension articulated that it still hit the bumpstop.

This pic is at ride height.

Attachments

• 061107 rear suspension.jpg
    061107 rear suspension.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 121