• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 explorer swap questions

papy

Contributor
back at it again. here is what i have pulled out of the 96 explorer so far. makig sure i have everything i need before i call the junkers to come haul it away.

engine
transmission
trans cooler (not sure if i can use it?)
engine wiring harness
transmission wiring harness
the main harness with head lights, the three plugs that go into fire wall, all fuse and relay boxes. basically stripped all the wiring from the explorer.
computer
computer bracket
Inertia / Fuel Cutoff Switch. i cut the wires as low as i could and removed the switch. do i need this for my build?

what about the obd2 plug. i am not sure if i need this or not?

how about the fuel delivery system? do i need the pull the explorer fuel pump or will this depend on what fuel tank i go with?

is it worth keeping the truck around for anything else that can be used in my bronco?

thank you in advance.

cheers

bsquared

Contributor
back at it again. here is what i have pulled out of the 96 explorer so far. makig sure i have everything i need before i call the junkers to come haul it away.

engine
transmission
trans cooler (not sure if i can use it?)
engine wiring harness
transmission wiring harness
the main harness with head lights, the three plugs that go into fire wall, all fuse and relay boxes. basically stripped all the wiring from the explorer.
computer
computer bracket
Inertia / Fuel Cutoff Switch. i cut the wires as low as i could and removed the switch. do i need this for my build?

what about the obd2 plug. i am not sure if i need this or not?

how about the fuel delivery system? do i need the pull the explorer fuel pump or will this depend on what fuel tank i go with?

is it worth keeping the truck around for anything else that can be used in my bronco?

thank you in advance.

cheers

Hey Papy,
Sounds like you're well on your way. My $.02 for what it's worth:

engine - excellent
transmission - don't know - I went ZF5
trans cooler (not sure if i can use it?) - don't know
engine wiring harness - Oh yeah - watch The EFI guy videos on Youtube and a thread here for rework.
transmission wiring harness - Don't know

the main harness with head lights, the three plugs that go into fire wall, all fuse and relay boxes. basically stripped all the wiring from the explorer. The EFI Guy videos detail on where to cut the front wiring out.

computer - Oh yeah
computer bracket - There are others that are easier to install, but I made the 96 Explorer bracket work for me.
Inertia / Fuel Cutoff Switch. i cut the wires as low as i could and removed the switch. do i need this for my build? - Absolutely.....I installed mine on the driver kick panel.

what about the obd2 plug. i am not sure if i need this or not? Absolutely - Again the EFI Guy videos detail it and mine went on the driver kick panel with the Inertia switch. You'll need this plug.

how about the fuel delivery system? do i need the pull the explorer fuel pump or will this depend on what fuel tank i go with? - I went with a BCB 23 gal fuel tank with the Mustang pump inside. I don't think the Explorer pump will work.

Reworking the engine harness was a big learning curve for me, but is not to tough if you follow the videos.

You'll need to grab the Mass Air Flow sensor off of the air cleaner box and the inlet air temp sensor out of the air inlet tubing. I installed this in the 3" aluminum tube I used for my air intake. 2001 Explorer airbox worked out real well for me, but I had to relocate my battery. Dodge Neon coil packs are an option if you want to get away from the Exploder wires and cut some your own length. You will need to fab a bracket for them.

Good luck with your build and here's a few pics in case they help. Cheers, B2

Attachments

• 4EngineBay.JPG
    4EngineBay.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 7MAFInside.JPG
    7MAFInside.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 6CoilPlateSide.JPG
    6CoilPlateSide.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 5CoilPlateTop.JPG
    5CoilPlateTop.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 263

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Pull the rear axle and sell it to a local Jeep guy, you will get more for that than you will get from the scrappers for the whole Explorer, and the scrappers will still buy the Explorer for about the same amount.

Even if you don't use the transmission cooler for your transmission it will work as a power steering cooler, it is bigger and more efficient than the Explorer or the Bronco power steering cooler.

Grab the Explorer power steering cooler, it may be usable as a cooler on your fuel return line, keeping the fuel that is returned from heating up the fuel in the tank helps prevent vapor lock.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I would keep it till the bronco is running if you can. There's always something you'll wish you grabbed

Dirtroadjunkie

I would keep it till the bronco is running if you can. There's always something you'll wish you grabbed

That's good advice!

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
thank you all for responding. i decided to keep the explorer until the project is complete.
cheers

TTownEP

Pull the rear axle and sell it to a local Jeep guy, you will get more for that than you will get from the scrappers for the whole Explorer, and the scrappers will still buy the Explorer for about the same amount.

I second that. I got $200 for the axle and it was the most hotly contested item I sold off the Explorer.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Hey Papy,
Sounds like you're well on your way. My $.02 for what it's worth:

engine - excellent
transmission - don't know - I went ZF5
trans cooler (not sure if i can use it?) - don't know
engine wiring harness - Oh yeah - watch The EFI guy videos on Youtube and a thread here for rework.
transmission wiring harness - Don't know

the main harness with head lights, the three plugs that go into fire wall, all fuse and relay boxes. basically stripped all the wiring from the explorer. The EFI Guy videos detail on where to cut the front wiring out.

computer - Oh yeah
computer bracket - There are others that are easier to install, but I made the 96 Explorer bracket work for me.
Inertia / Fuel Cutoff Switch. i cut the wires as low as i could and removed the switch. do i need this for my build? - Absolutely.....I installed mine on the driver kick panel.

what about the obd2 plug. i am not sure if i need this or not? Absolutely - Again the EFI Guy videos detail it and mine went on the driver kick panel with the Inertia switch. You'll need this plug.

how about the fuel delivery system? do i need the pull the explorer fuel pump or will this depend on what fuel tank i go with? - I went with a BCB 23 gal fuel tank with the Mustang pump inside. I don't think the Explorer pump will work.

Reworking the engine harness was a big learning curve for me, but is not to tough if you follow the videos.

You'll need to grab the Mass Air Flow sensor off of the air cleaner box and the inlet air temp sensor out of the air inlet tubing. I installed this in the 3" aluminum tube I used for my air intake. 2001 Explorer airbox worked out real well for me, but I had to relocate my battery. Dodge Neon coil packs are an option if you want to get away from the Exploder wires and cut some your own length. You will need to fab a bracket for them.

Good luck with your build and here's a few pics in case they help. Cheers, B2

bsquared,

couple questions on the explorer swap you did.
1. did you have to cut/modify the engine cross member? some members are saying that the lower passengers pulley will make contact with front cross member. is there anything else can a guy do to fix the issue if it arises?
2. what about the A/C delete. did you use a shorter serp belt? or is there a pulley a guy can put in its place?
thanks

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I saw a thread with dorman part numbers for smaller diameter pully.

Ac delete, you will use shorter belt. Consider Saginaw pump. WH sells a dual return kit for the 5.0. I used this on my 351w. Sits nice and low and simple with hydro boost

Hank

bsquared

Contributor
bsquared,

couple questions on the explorer swap you did.
1. did you have to cut/modify the engine cross member? some members are saying that the lower passengers pulley will make contact with front cross member. is there anything else can a guy do to fix the issue if it arises?
2. what about the A/C delete. did you use a shorter serp belt? or is there a pulley a guy can put in its place?
thanks

Hi Papy,
1. I did not have to cut my cross member, but I have seen where others have had to. when I converted from an I-6 to a V-8, the new motor towers ended up putting the engine in just the right height. I think some others swapping in the 5.0L in place of their 302 are running into fitment issues. To correct this you can either notch the cross member or re-position the motor towers to correct the motor's placement.

2. A/C delete. Yes, the WH Saginaw PS kit for the serpentine setup does not work with an AC compressor. It is a shorter serpentine belt if you use that system. I forget what that belt number is, but WH tech services can hook you up, I'm sure.

Hope that helps! B2

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
No need to knotch the cross member. Use this and it’ll give you enough room. I haven’t had an issue.
Karl

Attachments

• C182CEEA-BD85-4CF2-A508-0E1EF7B9D8B7.jpg
    C182CEEA-BD85-4CF2-A508-0E1EF7B9D8B7.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 128
  • ABC5CB10-7F5E-442F-9A21-F99059D2F79F.jpg
    ABC5CB10-7F5E-442F-9A21-F99059D2F79F.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
thank you fellow members! this is a great help

Since we are on the topic, what are you all using for the oil pan? I have a brand new Bronco pan, pick up tube and gasket and hardware that i bought when i was going the 347 route. Now that i have this explorer engine you guys think i should keep the explorer pan or put the bronco pan on? if so do i have to change anything else other than the pick up tube?

i noticed the dipstick is in the block on the 5.0. if i were to put the bronco pan what do i use to plug the hole for the block dip stick?

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
one more thing! should i stick with the explorer clutch fan or pop the bronco one on?
pros/cons to both please :)

thanks

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The explorer clutch and fan is about as good as it gets for cooling. The original Bronco fan is the wrong rotation.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
thank you fellow members! this is a great help

Since we are on the topic, what are you all using for the oil pan? I have a brand new Bronco pan, pick up tube and gasket and hardware that i bought when i was going the 347 route. Now that i have this explorer engine you guys think i should keep the explorer pan or put the bronco pan on? if so do i have to change anything else other than the pick up tube?

i noticed the dipstick is in the block on the 5.0. if i were to put the bronco pan what do i use to plug the hole for the block dip stick?

I have always used the Explorer pan. Do you have a cast or metal pan? Factory Bronco pan, I believe gives you and extra Qt of oil, but has old sealing tech with cork gasket and possible leaks from dip stick mount on pan.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have always used the Explorer pan. Do you have a cast or metal pan? Factory Bronco pan, I believe gives you and extra Qt of oil, but has old sealing tech with cork gasket and possible leaks from dip stick mount on pan.

I run the cast Explorer pan, it has excellent clearance for my HP44. It holds 6 qts. just as the stock Bronco pan did. I think you’d be better off sticking with the Explorer pan.

Mark

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor

its cast aluminum. so is it 6qt or 5qt?

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
I run the cast Explorer pan, it has excellent clearance for my HP44. It holds 6 qts. just as the stock Bronco pan did. I think you’d be better off sticking with the Explorer pan.

Mark

got it! answered my previous question. 6qts for the cast pan

i will use the cast then.
cheers