• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adapting Explorer throttle cable

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I have search a few threads and I have found some great info in the process. I found a few pics that I saved, but I don't know where I saved them from ;D.

I'm specifically looking for pics and ideas on how to adapt the Explorer throttle cable to the throttle body with it mounted directly to the intake with the IAC facing the front. A pic of how it passes through the firewall and how it is attached to the pedal if possible.

TB mounted like this
P0yG8c5.jpg

Looks like it will have to pull from the front. I have seen a few that have the cable routed behind the intake so I'm curious how that was done.
https://i.imgur.com/WFX7fBc.mp4

Pedal mod I found somewhere. Not sure who's it is, but it looks like the best option so far.
cREiC2Y.jpg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I wish I could provide what you are asking for Jaromy, but I have retained the front pull with the EGR elbow on my builds.

This time because I used the 96 Expl motor, I used a Mustang TB which pulls from the back. It is a aftermarket 70mm TB and EGR spacer, so that allowed me to use the mustang cable and brackets. Maybe just an option?

There is the Expl TB mod that someone did where they transferred throttle arms from a mustang TB or something to that effect.

My pedal mods based on a 70 full sized LTD...

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_20190120_173346189.jpg
    IMG_20190120_173346189.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_20190120_173338040.jpg
    IMG_20190120_173338040.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCN1968.jpg
    DSCN1968.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN1967.jpg
    DSCN1967.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 386
  • DSCN1966.jpg
    DSCN1966.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 369
OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I wish I could provide what you are asking for Jaromy, but I have retained the front pull with the EGR elbow on my builds.

This time because I used the 96 Expl motor, I used a Mustang TB which pulls from the back. It is a aftermarket 70mm TB and EGR spacer, so that allowed me to use the mustang cable and brackets. Maybe just an option?

There is the Expl TB mod that someone did where they transferred throttle arms from a mustang TB or something to that effect.

My pedal mods based on a 70 full sized LTD...

Doug

Thanks Doug. Your build threads were the first that I searched because I like asking you questions ;D;D I have read a few threads about adapting the Mustang arm to the Explorer TB. I can go that route if there isn't an easy solution to adapt the Explorer setup. I figured it would be a good idea to ask here before I went down that path.

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
I can’t help you on how you are going to route the throttle cable. I used everything stock so that I could use the air box on the passenger side from the Mountaineer that I made that I picked up. But this is a picture of how I Attached it to the footpedal. I use quarter inch flat steel that I bought from Home Depot. I recommend that you use by Vise grips to hold it on there and play with it a few times before you weld it. I was also able to get it to work with the pull throttle cable on the dash that is in my 67. So that I can use it as cruise control.

Attachments

• C87BFC50-CF07-4820-8B80-587720C1F05E.jpg
    C87BFC50-CF07-4820-8B80-587720C1F05E.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 404

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi Jaromy. I made a bracket and pedal modification for exactly what you are looking for. I will try to get a pic tonight, but it be a couple of days before i can get out to the shop.

Hank

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Hi Jaromy. I made a bracket and pedal modification for exactly what you are looking for. I will try to get a pic tonight, but it be a couple of days before i can get out to the shop.

Hank

Thanks Hank! A pic when you can would be great.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Here’s what I did, using the stock throttle cable housing. The end of the housing will plug right into the firewall plate on the pedal assembly, just remove the rubber boot. If you’re using 97’ or 96’ the cable housing has a plastic square end, not round like the later models. I used a 96’ on mine, I cut the square hole out of the Explorer firewall, and welded it to the plate on the pedal assembly.
On the throttle body end, I adapted the stock bracket to the throttle body while not using the 90* EGR elbow. Just a bit of cutting and re bracing. Even the stock plastic cover goes back on with some slight trimming.
On the pedal end. I welded a short piece of 3/32” brake tubing (about 3/4” long) to the top side of the stock socket rod that passes through the firewall. I cut the stock rod and only used the socket that snaps onto the pedal.
For the cable, I used a bicycle brake cable. Thread it through the stock plastic socket end on the throttle body, using the return spring like the stock set up. Pass the cable through the small piece of tubing welded to the pedal assembly. Then attach a cable stop to secure it. By using a bicycle cable, it’s easy to carry spares, which I’ve found out, not very many people do! The last one I did had a Lokar cable, which had the correct socket that snapped onto the pedal and accepted the cable with a set screw. That was really clean. I can’t find where to source those.

Of course all the pics are sideways!%)

Mark

Attachments

• FC1140A9-C555-4EAD-85ED-5E698E2F0C06.jpg
    FC1140A9-C555-4EAD-85ED-5E698E2F0C06.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 585B4464-F3A1-410A-9173-1C3CFFEF3891.jpg
    585B4464-F3A1-410A-9173-1C3CFFEF3891.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 361
  • AD750F2E-1EE0-4861-B74C-212E16950967.jpg
    AD750F2E-1EE0-4861-B74C-212E16950967.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 397
OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Here’s what I did, using the stock throttle cable housing. The end of the housing will plug right into the firewall plate on the pedal assembly, just remove the rubber boot. If you’re using 97’ or 96’ the cable housing has a plastic square end, not round like the later models. I used a 96’ on mine, I cut the square hole out of the Explorer firewall, and welded it to the plate on the pedal assembly.
On the throttle body end, I adapted the stock bracket to the throttle body while not using the 90* EGR elbow. Just a bit of cutting and re bracing. Even the stock plastic cover goes back on with some slight trimming.
On the pedal end. I welded a short piece of 3/32” brake tubing (about 3/4” long) to the top side of the stock socket rod that passes through the firewall. I cut the stock rod and only used the socket that snaps onto the pedal.
For the cable, I used a bicycle brake cable. Thread it through the stock plastic socket end on the throttle body, using the return spring like the stock set up. Pass the cable through the small piece of tubing welded to the pedal assembly. Then attach a cable stop to secure it. By using a bicycle cable, it’s easy to carry spares, which I’ve found out, not very many people do! The last one I did had a Lokar cable, which had the correct socket that snapped onto the pedal and accepted the cable with a set screw. That was really clean. I can’t find where to source those.

Of course all the pics are sideways!%)

Mark

Thank you, Mark! After looking at this a little more last night, I think I have a plan going forward.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For anyone not wanting to modify the pedal end of things, Lokar does make a very slick pass-through pedal for cable use.
The cable itself does not come through to the interior of the cabin, but the lever of the pedal is in the engine compartment, down low just adjacent to the pedal.
If I remember, it pulls downward, rather than rearward like a standard pedal.

Here is is on their site: http://www.lokar.com/throt-assemb-pedal-pads.html and though I have not looked at their instructions, that might be a good way to get the full lay of the land on if it would work for your particular Bronco or not.
A friend put it on his '73 with Explorer upper and it worked slick as can be.

Paul

Strike2

I'm actually just finished my 96 Explorer cable set up last night, all in all it similar to the rest, except on the throttle body I hit up the JY and got another arm off a 96 explorer and bolted them together to get the correct position. Then made up a bracket using the two front mounting throttle body bolts if that make sense?

Attachments

• foot pedal linkage.JPG
    foot pedal linkage.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 344
  • throttle body linkage.JPG
    throttle body linkage.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_6198.JPG
    IMG_6198.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 338
  • explorer throttle cable.JPG
    explorer throttle cable.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 313

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I'm actually just finished my 96 Explorer cable set up last night, all in all it similar to the rest, except on the throttle body I hit up the JY and got another arm off a 96 explorer and bolted them together to get the correct position. Then made up a bracket using the two front mounting throttle body bolts if that make sense?

So the factory Explorer cable will reach then? I was asked and I didn't think it would...

Strike2

So the factory Explorer cable will reach then? I was asked and I didn't think it would...

I'm not sure if using a stock coil pack mounting bracket how the cable will route? For me I needed to relocated/modified the coil bracket to the engine crossbar so this could be the reason the 96 explorer cable fits for me.

Attachments

• IMG_6021.JPG
    IMG_6021.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 273

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have search a few threads and I have found some great info in the process. I found a few pics that I saved, but I don't know where I saved them from ;D.

I'm specifically looking for pics and ideas on how to adapt the Explorer throttle cable to the throttle body with it mounted directly to the intake with the IAC facing the front. A pic of how it passes through the firewall and how it is attached to the pedal if possible.

TB mounted like this
P0yG8c5.jpg

Looks like it will have to pull from the front. I have seen a few that have the cable routed behind the intake so I'm curious how that was done.
https://i.imgur.com/WFX7fBc.mp4

Pedal mod I found somewhere. Not sure who's it is, but it looks like the best option so far.
cREiC2Y.jpg

what brackets are you using for the a/c, they dont look stock? did you mod the bracket for the coils?

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
**Follow up**

After looking at what hankjr and a few others did to route the stock cable, I came up with something very similar.

I designed it in Fusion 360 and then created the prototype using the drawing. Now that I know it fits, I have a bracket being laser cut and CNC formed out of 11g A36. If the test piece works I will have a few available for the guys that want them.

I will make sure to get Vendor status through Jon before I sell anything ;)

Test bracket
aJ7Gssr.jpg

9mgg8z5.jpg

hAR7Ml6.jpg

Bracket that is being cut and formed
gGKVUqP.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool. And it looks like it could double as a Go-Pro bracket when you want to watch what's going on at the air intake!;D

Paul