• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air impact wrench recommendations

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was trying to put this in Off Topic Lounge, sorry. Move me if needed, recommend a good gun if you can.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With an air gun you need an air compressor, I solved two probelms, crappy air guns and crappy compressors always dying every few years:

http://www.toolbarn.com/dewalt-dw292.html

Home depo has em for about the same price.

This thing eats through everything I have thrown at it or sheared the bolt off which also worked out fine.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
the cheap harbor frieght air tools generally have a pretty good track record when you consider the price. I have a 1/2" impact that I bought over 20 years ago at HF. THe ratchet I bought at teh same time last one car project. I still have its replacement. I got over 20 years out of one die grinder before it went bad from lack of lubrication.

I treat them like crap. I do not oil them reguarly and they spend most of their time in the pile of crap that is always on my floor.

I seem to get one car project out of their air files but still thats 3- $25 air files in 15 years, so thats not too bad.

You can go buy a $100+ impact but I bet you'd be just as happy with a HF cheapy. The HF copies are almost exact copies of old chicago pnuematic tools and parts even interchange. Now if you are going to try to make a living with the impact wrench then maybe step up but occational hobby shop use doesn't seem to bother them much.

I always try to buy the cheapest I can get buy with and that way I always have more money for the project or other tools. I even use their paint guns, at their sale price these guns are almost disposable. When you can buy a handful of die grinders for the cost of one "good" die grinder you will probably never wear any of them out.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I did buy a good aircompressor from home depot 25 years ago and I am still using it.

chavis77

Loc.
sebring
Ingersal Rand is (cat on a stick) (ti2135) i thank thats model #

I run 175 psi and it holds up to that

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ingersol titanium. Whoever said you'd be just as happy with a HF is clueless....there is simply nothing like having an honest 700 ft-lbs of reverse torque in a 1/2" drive gun that is light as a feather too.;D They were over 300 bucks when I boought my first one but I've seen them on line as low as 239 recently.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ingersol titanium. Whoever said you'd be just as happy with a HF is clueless....there is simply nothing like having an honest 700 ft-lbs of reverse torque in a 1/2" drive gun that is light as a feather too.;D They were over 300 bucks when I boought my first one but I've seen them on line as low as 239 recently.

I will not buy Harbor Freight due to multiple 2-3 use tools I have gotten as gifts. Is Ingersal titanium a model?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I have always heard good things about IR air tools. I have an old Campbell Hausfeld that I picked up 15 years ago that has held up well for a cheapie. I find that I use my electric impact more than anything these days though. Just easier.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ingersal Rand is (cat on a stick) (ti2135) i thank thats model #

Ingersoll-Rand 2135TIMAX IR 1/2" Drive Titanium Duty Air Impact Wrench looks like a nice titanium series gun. $250 is about the cheapest I found, which is not unexpected for something that I will use a lifetime as a hobbyist.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Another vote for the IR Titanium...

But you might want to check out your air lines - I was having trouble with my Impact gun, turns out the inline pressure regulator had failed, and I wasn't getting the full 100psi to the gun, once I fixed that, the gun worked great again!

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Can't beat an IR 244.

Just cause that's what I have.;D

Last edited:

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Another vote for the IR. I have had Snap On, MAC, all the cheapies as well. Nothing works and lasts like the IR.

chavis77

Loc.
sebring
oh yeah and it sound good and if your like me you will act like nasscar when you rotate your tires haha

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
I have the Ingersoll Rand impact too, and am quite happy.
I've also read many good reviews of the AirCat impacts, which run
~$30-40 cheaper than Ingersoll model with similar torque,
weight,noise specs. I might have gone with one of those but
I found the Ingersoll on special when I was buying.

I don't know if they have the best prices but Northern Tool
carries both the Ingersoll and AirCat models which makes them
easy to browse and compare.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_air-tools+air-impact-wrenches+1-2in.-drive

ITOWU2

Loc.
close to Billings
I have a IR 1" gun and love it. I've got the aircat 1000M (similiar to #21 on your link) in the 1/2" drive and love it also. 175 psi is what I have my tanks at. I use both pretty much everyday and haven't had any problems.
Wes

Casey835

I would agree with the ing rand models-with that being said I have a nothern tool model that has not let me down yet