• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone regret changing out stock seats?

MartyG

Bronco Guru
I have original seats that I redid a couple years back...new foam, covers but I've always wanted to go after market. I really like the look of these from TBP,

8029P_parchment_premium_seats_kit.jpg

I have a guy that's interested in trading me these (almost new) for my stock seats. Wondering if anyone 1. Has these seats 2. Regret giving up their original stock seats down the road.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

crab

Bronco Guru
Honestly, I love the original bronco seats for whatever reason. I’m 6 foot 225 pounds pushing 50 years old. The geometry is perfect other than legroom which is easily remedied. I’ve gone on several 500 mile road trip‘s in the original seats and find them quite comfortable with no back pain not to mention easy to slide in and out of. The passenger forward folding seat makes it very nice for little ones or a little extra storage when needed. The backseat however is a different story but works.
I really do like the looks of Toms seats. I’ve ran several sets of the procar rally’s in my Offroad Bronco’s (in my ‘68 now). The bolsters keep you in the seat though I find them a bit snug for my frame :) Also, much more difficult to get in and out of unless you have a grab bar on your roll cage. I don’t grab the steering wheel to get in and out of. Also, the high backs with head rest definitely impact visibility. I’m not sure who builds Tom‘s seats but closely mimic procar. Perhaps BestTop? I have ran a couple sets of toms fold and tumble which are definitely an improvement over stock. I have three lap belts mounted with the fold and tumble in my 68 which have been used many times as well as the flexibility with the fold and tumble.
If you’re not concerned about the originality, but still keeping the vintage look, I’d say a straight trade is a fair deal if they are in equal condition. Make sure the frames are solid. I’ve seen bent and cracked Do you know if the seats you’re looking at are leather? I’m not sure if that would be a good thing or bad thing. They feel very nice but not sure how they would weather? I’ve been hosing my vinyl procars for 20 years and they still look great. Not to mention they have replaceable zip off covers.
Looks wise, the seats you’re looking at are my personal favorite. I think the bolstering is more forgivable then Procar for daily driving. Good luck

OP
OP
MartyG

MartyG

Bronco Guru
Do you know if the seats you’re looking at are leather? I’m not sure if that would be a good thing or bad thing. They feel very nice but not sure how they would weather?

They are vinyl.
Really torn, I've head them since I've had my EB, 9 years
jl2jit.jpg
Not looking THAT perfect anymore..but close

Thanks for the feedback.

BrettKoenecke

I wouldn't trade out my stock seats. I redid them with ranger upholstery from BroncoHut. I think they're comfortable as all get out.

But if that is what you want, go for it. No reason not to do so.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
No regrets, get that extra comfort, save or sell yours...

keep if you may want to go back stock one day

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to not be bothered by the stock ones, but as I got older and the seats did too, I was only comfortable for about an hour before I wanted to be somewhere else. So driving them on long trips was a pain.
The re-done seats in my '68 are actually very nice, so guessing much of the old discomfort was the deteriorating seats.

The replacement seats in my '71 are '91 Mustang GT seats and are simply amazing! But like so many other aftermarket seats, are too tall and you have to lean over to see out the top of the windshield.
To me, that's the biggest issue of 90% of aftermarket seats. So a good nicely sagged set of stock seats with higher backs and a small see-through headrest would be my first choice. If they existed!

Paul

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i am torn between doing the TMI upgrade to my stock seats or buying the waterproof version of the TBPs you posted. I love the look of the original seats.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finding an aftermarket seat that is still low enough to see through the windshield is my biggest concern. Most sit too high and the steering wheel is in your lap.

Scat/Procar Classic with the headrest and the WH brackets is a great seat, very similar looking to original, is very comfortable and sits nice and low.

A completely rebuilt original seat with new seat buns and covers are pretty nice. My favorite set-up is a 68-69 mustang seat. Same as the Bronco seat and uses the same brackets, but has the added head rest.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I changed out by half cab bench for a 1967 Mustang bench seat. I would prefer more support though.

Sporto

I had a nice set of stock seats with new foam, and I swapped them for Corbeau high back bucket seats. I like the head rest and that they recline. I also put on a cool set of Molle seat covers that would not have fit on the low backs. I have driven several long trips with these, and I had the stock seats for decades prior. I am 52 and 195 lbs, and I am very comfortable in these.

The only thing, that I don't like is the fact that I cannot flip the passenger seat up to let the kids in the back.

The rest was a great decision.
No regrets...

Rich

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
nope...Corbeau seats...never looked back. I'm 6'3 and these actually sat me lower.

As "Sporto" mentioned the front seat won't flip up...but my kids just climb over!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
There were Procar's in my Bronco when I bought it. I hated them, nut busters to say the least. I found a pair of stockers and did the Mustang "sport" upgrade and really like them. They are much more comfortable than the Procar's were and are more comfortable than stock.

kempco

The stock seats make it easy to get in the back seat. I don't think any after market seats will do that.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you've ever had to disassemble and re-weld the cheesy latching mechanism, you can answer your own question.
The factory seat frames are absolutely weak and unsafe.
That said, if you want to use them in your show/parade only car, why not?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I like the stock seats with new skins and new foam and added head rests. I like being able to slide in and out of the seats rather having to lift my ass in and out of recessed bucket seats. With lift and larger tires my short leggs dont need any more challenges. My friends Bronco has fairly deep buckets. Nice seats but a pain in the ass getting in and out. The deep buckets gives him a little more room under the steering wheel and a little better line of sight looking through the top of the windshield.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Since mine is driven purely for fun I love my redone stockers.

Not the safest as mentioned, but I think the combination of the coil springs, leaf springs and seat springs are what give it that real bucking Bronco ride!! ;D

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I was only comfortable for about an hour before I wanted to be somewhere else.

This is the crux of the discussion IMO.
I daily drive mine (6 days a week) and only put ~3k on the odo. I've kept a log since I bought it and I average 12.5 miles a day (my round trip to work is approx 10 miles).

The stock seats are fine for my general 10 minute or less jaunts.
When I was driving to and from college, I ended up going to some aftermarket seats because the saddle time was rough.