• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Arkansas To New York Road Trip

THE_74BEAST

Loc.
Central, FL
Not to sidetrack this thread, but can someone tell me why Suzy's rig has two Optima Blue batteries?
DSC_0046.JPG

This is becoming one of my favorite rigs!
DSC_0086.JPG

Ratch

Contributor
I certainly understand the BlueTop, why two? Just wondering what the rig has that would require two batteries...

Take a good look a the pics. It has a winch, arb air compressor, off road lights, cd player, cb radio, etc.
There are times on a trail when you wish you had 3 or 4 batteries.

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
What a great adventure and thread to go with it! It seems you are a full fledged Broncoholic now ;D Thanks for sharing and keep those awesome pics coming.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Looks like you need to put some black wheels on that rig, that would bring it all together IMO... The more I look at those pics and related threads, the more I want a 3/4 link system!!!

I'm glad you're having such an enjoyable trip, stay safe and keep posting pics. You're making a lotta people jealous myself included:)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of reasons really. But, for me, it just comes down to being prepared because it's an off-road rig and you have to be as self-sufficient as possible. And that would necessarily include a way to overcome either a dead battery, or the need for using a very large draw accessory like a winch.

Naturally, things like big-amp stereos and refrigerators come into play as well, but probably the most common fear among regular winch-users is that they'll get so caught up in getting themselves or someone else unstuck in the middle of nowhere, that they'll miss the fact that their battery will get drained too low to start the truck if it stalls out.

A second battery is just your basic off-road insurance.

Paul

(edit: should have hit the refresh button. Even hitting the link to this page a couple of minutes ago and I still didn't see those last replies. I think Ratch sums it up pretty well.

Ratch

Contributor
Lots of reasons really. But, for me, it just comes down to being prepared because it's an off-road rig and you have to be as self-sufficient as possible. And that would necessarily include a way to overcome either a dead battery, or the need for using a very large draw accessory like a winch.

Naturally, things like big-amp stereos and refrigerators come into play as well, but probably the most common fear among regular winch-users is that they'll get so caught up in getting themselves or someone else unstuck in the middle of nowhere, that they'll miss the fact that their battery will get drained too low to start the truck if it stalls out.

A second battery is just your basic off-road insurance.

Paul

(edit: should have hit the refresh button. Even hitting the link to this page a couple of minutes ago and I still didn't see those last replies. I think Ratch sums it up pretty well.

Dont feel bad, happens to me all the time.?:?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
where is he???? i hurried home to see updates! ;D

jduffent

Sponsor/Vendor
Left here about 6:30 headed north on 81. I believe he's abandonded the side trip through the park. (I really think he couldn't handle the idea of no communications for a whole hour through the park.) ;) He had a pretty laid back day and now has tunes in there to make the miles fly by! (his playlist was sounding pretty good to me so I think he'll be good for a couple hours!) watch out Virginians he's on his way!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Man I really need to with the Lottery and take a trip up to Duff's!! Glad to hear he is on the road, Kinda bummed he is going to miss the ride over the mountains. i can't wait to do it, I am hoping for next spring.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thank God I had to work this weekend , otherwise I was heading to Charlotte N.C. and Duffs is right on the way.
I would have probably gotten in HUGE trouble with the wife after she saw the checkbook damage.

Kudos to the Duff crew and the rest of the Bronco brotherhood for urging and guiding him on this trip.

Last edited:

msweb

Bronco Guru
All I can say is that I'm glad I was able to meet Herman and become a small part of this piece of history. He's every bit as nice as his rig and like it, deserves nothing but the best.

Drive safe as you head up 81 brother, and don't become a stranger to these parts!

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
I certainly understand the BlueTop, why two? Just wondering what the rig has that would require two batteries...

Can you see the amount of stuff on that rig? From winch to ARb compressors. Its nice to have redundancy. Hell, she can weld with that setup.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
The reason why side trips were skipped was that I found out today my om will be moving to Miami. To me thats a good reason for a NY to Miami road trip. ;D

Today was a happy day for me. I met mommy Duff. We all had breakfast and I had some tunes installed on the rig. Man does that make a difference. At first I wanted a modest stereo but the installer said something that made a lot of sense to me. "Hell, you aint gonna be able to hear shit with them tires and an open top. What you need is a 600 watt amp and subwoofer in the back" I complied and he was right. Blasting the classic rock going up I-81. That felt good. I stopped over in Marion Virginia. Found a little Motel up here. I cant see anything but apparently its quite scenic up here. I do appreciate the temp right now. 70 degrees with a nice breeze. That sure beats 105 degrees from Arkansas to Nashville ;D.

Im uploading the pics right now. More tomorrow as currently I am tired and quite drunk.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0096.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0099.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

Both the tire carrier come with a lock so it does not swing shut on it own. A lot of thought went into this design and I could not be happier.

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0118.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To paraphrase...
In the next-to-last pic, he seems to be saying "you lookin' at me?" And in the last, it's "Yeah you. You lookin' at me? Well I'm the only one here."

Paul

Heus33

Bronco Guru
To paraphrase...
In the next-to-last pic, he seems to be saying "you lookin' at me?" And in the last, it's "Yeah you. You lookin' at me? Well I'm the only one here."

Paul

I thought he was saying "Man, I can't believe Herman didn't post any stereo pictures. WTF?!?!"