• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Arkansas To New York Road Trip

mo-bronco

I hope somebody told him about Bronco Driver magazine. Like somebody said earlier, it would make a great feature.

Broncboozled

Loc.
Nor Cal
Has anyone else got the theme song to Smokey and The Bandit stuck in their head as we're cheering him on? Have you thought of people lining the streets with banners and signs? Truckers honking their horns, pictured Cletus T. Justice slapping Jr.? ;D

Here ya go! Too bad someone couldn't sticky this so everytime you opened this thread it played the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0

msweb

Bronco Guru

Ratch

Contributor
Just a quick check in as I head out for work, Glad you made it into Knox. Is your wife still gonna fly in for the rest of the trip?

msweb

Bronco Guru
I won't spill the beans as to what, but somebody's having some fun shopping at the Duff Tuff store today!!! ;D

msweb

Bronco Guru
I just got a sneak peek of what's been going on at the James Duff garage. :eek: Ya'll are gonna be jealous!!!!! ;D

darkmagus

I'm definitely enjoying this thread and can't wait to see how it all turns out. I made basically the opposite journey about 10 years ago. I flew to Boston, bought an '89 Range Rover, and then drove it back to Arkansas taking basically the same route. My situation was a bit different though in the fact that the PO failed to disclose a lot of issues with the rig. Totally my fault though, and that was my last time buying a vehicle sight unseen.

You should have no problem making it back with the apparent condition of yours. Well that and the amazing support you have along the way! Oh and very nice Bronco you picked up...can't wait to see what it looks like after you leave Duff's.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I have to say this is a great thread, makes me want to meet all of you guys that I haven't met.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well maybe Herman already knew, but I for one didn't. Thanks a Bunch;D, just wish I would have knowen that before my 600 mile road trip last Weekend. I just went out and looked and low and behold it was closed. I couldn't figure out why one vent had a screen in it and the other didn't.

Damn Newbie's:eek: Thanks again. Any other hidden gems I should know about?

Rob

Hah! It's all in the timing sometimes, eh? Sorry this didn't come up before, even if it's not the greatest vent system in the world, any air moving around in that cab is a good thing!

Hmm, speaking of hidden gems, that other comment about "pull-for-heat" does seem to come up a lot these days. Well, except for all you Eastern blokes melting to your seats that is.
Other than warning about hidden rust, failing electrical connections, insufficient grounding schemes, tired old rear wheel bearings and gas fumes in the cab, I can't think of anything.
Though there are those interesting license plate features. Wondering about the flip-up rear plate? Put the tailgate down to haul a long load and just flip it up for staying legal. The two holes in the bottom edge of the front grille are a good place to mount one if you are running a snow-plow or PTO winch.
Then there are those funny little brackets that some Broncos have on the passenger side rear fender. Goes back to the old open tailgate thing. How to hold the swing-away carrier out of the way.

All depends on what year your Bronco is, what options were ordered, and what wasn't taken off by the preceding 33 1/3 PO's.

That should keep you wondering until we get NY's next update. Hmmm, CST/EST notwithstanding, wonder if he's still at Duff's being outfitted?

Paul

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Oh man what a day!!! Came to Duffs at 8 AM and did not leave till 12AM. Note they are both AM. I had an awesome day. Learned a hell of a lot about the EB and with every passing minute I am liking that Bronco more and more. There was almost nothing that did not get touched. Not that there was anything major on it, just tweaking. Yesterday I burned the crap out of my hands opening the hood and messing with that stupid rod which would inevitably get stuck so I can get burned some more. But that part is gone now. My baby got struts today and I am lovin that. New bumpers front and rear as well as a tire carrier and a gas tank & cooler holder. She also received rock sliders on the sides. Everything in black and man does it look good. Everything is 1/4inch steel so its going nowhere anytime soon. The attention to detail on their products is amazing. I snapped just about 100 pictures and they are uploading right now. Internet connection kinda sucks so its taking some time. Rest assured they will get posted tonight. I cant thank the guys over at Duffs enough for their hospitality and generosity for putting up with me lurking in the shop. The only problem I encountered is that my list of wants grew exponentially today. Got to take some of the duff rigs out and man they are awesome. Anybody who thought the 4 link kits they have are not stable enough for the road is dead wrong. I am happy with my setup tuckering along the highway at an average of 75 and taking it up to 85 at times, but man do I wish i had the stability of the 4 link setup they have. Ill go more into detail on that a bit later. Let me check on the pics first ;D Be right back with them....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Glad you made it out alive! Can't wait for the pics. Enjoying your trip vicariously.
Hmmm, with all that armor you're ready for the Big City for sure. Taxi cabs watch out!

Paul

Broncboozled

Loc.
Nor Cal
:p
Hah! It's all in the timing sometimes, eh? Sorry this didn't come up before, even if it's not the greatest vent system in the world, any air moving around in that cab is a good thing!

Hmm, speaking of hidden gems, that other comment about "pull-for-heat" does seem to come up a lot these days. Well, except for all you Eastern blokes melting to your seats that is.
Other than warning about hidden rust, failing electrical connections, insufficient grounding schemes, tired old rear wheel bearings and gas fumes in the cab, I can't think of anything.
Though there are those interesting license plate features. Wondering about the flip-up rear plate? Put the tailgate down to haul a long load and just flip it up for staying legal. The two holes in the bottom edge of the front grille are a good place to mount one if you are running a snow-plow or PTO winch.
Then there are those funny little brackets that some Broncos have on the passenger side rear fender. Goes back to the old open tailgate thing. How to hold the swing-away carrier out of the way.

All depends on what year your Bronco is, what options were ordered, and what wasn't taken off by the preceding 33 1/3 PO's.

That should keep you wondering until we get NY's next update. Hmmm, CST/EST notwithstanding, wonder if he's still at Duff's being outfitted?

Paul

Boy a bunch of Night Owels tonight. I knew the rest of the hidden gems you posted, except the rear wheel bearings thing :p I have a 1970, no ranch hand wheel holder, took me a couple of minutes to figure out the license plate thing the first Night I got it, but then eventually figured it out. My EB only had 3 Po so I got Lucky there.;D

Thanks again,

Rob

Broncboozled

Loc.
Nor Cal
Oh man what a day!!! Came to Duffs at 8 AM and did not leave till 12AM. Note they are both AM. I had an awesome day. Learned a hell of a lot about the EB and with every passing minute I am liking that Bronco more and more. There was almost nothing that did not get touched. Not that there was anything major on it, just tweaking. Yesterday I burned the crap out of my hands opening the hood and messing with that stupid rod which would inevitably get stuck so I can get burned some more. But that part is gone now. My baby got struts today and I am lovin that. New bumpers front and rear as well as a tire carrier and a gas tank & cooler holder. She also received rock sliders on the sides. Everything in black and man does it look good. Everything is 1/4inch steel so its going nowhere anytime soon. The attention to detail on their products is amazing. I snapped just about 100 pictures and they are uploading right now. Internet connection kinda sucks so its taking some time. Rest assured they will get posted tonight. I cant thank the guys over at Duffs enough for their hospitality and generosity for putting up with me lurking in the shop. The only problem I encountered is that my list of wants grew exponentially today. Got to take some of the duff rigs out and man they are awesome. Anybody who thought the 4 link kits they have are not stable enough for the road is dead wrong. I am happy with my setup tuckering along the highway at an average of 75 and taking it up to 85 at times, but man do I wish i had the stability of the 4 link setup they have. Ill go more into detail on that a bit later. Let me check on the pics first ;D Be right back with them....

Well at least the Left Coast guys will be the first to see the pics Tonight. One advantage of being out here!:eek: Man You must be TY URD!! Hell I'm tired just following this thread!