• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bailie Bilt - Project "Quarter Horse" 8-14-08 Pics With Wheels/Tires Finally!!

Kincade

Kincade - Thanks man......we're pretty proud of it!

As you can see in the thread I was pretty desperate there for a couple of days, but we figured it out. Found out from Advance Adapters that they couldn't help me anyway. I needed 1350 input/output yokes for the 5:0 I bought from you a year and a half ago. I found them from a driveline company.

Glad to hear your still around......I'll definitely be calling you the next time I need anything.

Dale

I'm sorry for being hard to reach... I'd love to have been able to help you out. Glad you got it resolved though! I'm always around, just so cramped for time that I rarely have the time to post or read the forums.

Keep us updated on that amazing rig!

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Got out to Contestoga motors today and we've got a few things done.

First, the Vanco, Hydro-boost, brake system came in and it is mounted, links attached and ready to go as soon as new brake lines are plumbed.

Second, Throttle body is installed and ready for wiring harness.

Additionally, Steve has pulled wiring harness apart, identified all connections, modified and ready to install.

Right before I took QH to him, I installed the rest of the winch components, welder and the air compressor.

QH should be running by Saturday evening, Monday at most. From there we are down to final touches.....wiring all gauges, brake lights, hooking up welder, air compressor, etc.

I will have him back by 9-21-07 and Gordon and I are heading to Disney for a pre-run so I can stretch his legs a little and work any bugs. Then, we leave for Hot Springs on Tuesday.

It is upon us......everyone ready?????

Dale

Attachments

• Wiring Harness.jpg
    Wiring Harness.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Brakes and throttle body.jpg
    Brakes and throttle body.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Throttle body.jpg
    Throttle body.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Winch.jpg
    Winch.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Air compressor.jpg
    Air compressor.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
After a really bad morning at the Car Wash and even a worse morning at the office......I skipped out and went over to Contestoga Motors to check the progress and perform a little of my own work to get a little reprieve from that little phrase we all know all too well on occassion......"shit happens"!!

Well, anyway, Quarter Horse is coming along nicely. We have installed all NEW, hard, brake lines, fuel lines and hydraulic lines. After digging in a little deeper and investigating the equipment let over from my "project" truck that was purchased prior to the QH built, the more we decided to go ahead with new so we know that it is right!!! Therefore, all new, stock calipers were purchased and installed.

Long story short, the entire break system is new top to bottom and front to back. He should stop on a dime!!

I got my hands dirty by installing the new edelbrock valve covers, wire looms and making the taylor (orange) plug wires along with a few other dangling projects.

Steve will be starting to reinstall the wiring harness tomorrow and if all goes as plan, we should be crank him back to life by the middle of next week.

So far so good!

Dale

Attachments

• Grill.jpg
    Grill.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Front Brake Lines.jpg
    Front Brake Lines.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Rear Brake Lines.jpg
    Rear Brake Lines.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Front Calipers.jpg
    Front Calipers.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Rear Brake Calipers.jpg
    Rear Brake Calipers.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Engine Bay.jpg
    Engine Bay.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Engine Bay2.jpg
    Engine Bay2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Taylor Wires.jpg
    Taylor Wires.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 110

2Broncos2Go

Bronco Guru
Middle of next wk? cutting a little close ......
oh, no, that's right - the excitement is in
working on it til 3am the day you leave....
or that's what I've been told...;)

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Thats right!! The maiden voyage is always the biggest event of the year for new adds to my truck

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
It will more than likely be running before then, but I've learned this little trick.....tell myself that it will be next week and if for some reason it happens earlier, it's a freakin MIRACLE!

Not to worry.....it will be there and it will be running!! Hey, I've got two of the most competent guys I know helping me!?! Steve and Gordon.

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
It will more than likely be running before then, but I've learned this little trick.....tell myself that it will be next week and if for some reason it happens earlier, it's a freakin MIRACLE!

Not to worry.....it will be there and it will be running!! Hey, I've got two of the most competent guys I know helping me!?! Steve and Gordon.

Ok, now my feelings are hurt.

I mean come on. My standing around watching you and Gordon work, is helping. Right??;D

Last edited:
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Thug - I'll get the code for you on the silver. It's pretty bad ars.....that is if it wasn't a custom color designed by Gordon that is.....he likes unique colors!!

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
WELL - It is officially OFFICIAL.......I hate chevy motors and I wished I'd never been introduced to the truck that it was in!!!!

Here is the long story short......Steve and I have been frantically working on QH so I could take him to Disney today to stretch his legs and familiarize myself before OCBR. We spent most of the day on Thursday trying to find the bad wire in the factory wire loom that was disabling a start. After nearly an all nighter, we found and fixed it on Friday morning. It fired right up, was running very good. Bled the hydraulics, brakes, topped off all fluids, installed rear driveline, pulled him off the front jack stands, let the power get to the rear axle, getting ready to put him completely down on the ground so I could load up and go get the shocks charged and &^*^...%$^%$....^$^%$^!!!! Did you get any of that!?!

Started blowing white smoke.........anyone who knows anything knows that's not good and probably water in a cylinder. Why would water be in a cylinder you say? Well theres only a couple of good reasons. SOOOOO, we pulled the intake to see if it had sucked the gasket....(this is a 383 stroker motor that has been bored to a 392. Pretty hot motor and suppossedly putting out around 500 horse).

Bad news - it wasn't the intake gasket. So we pulled all the spark plugs and started checking compression. 2 cylinders are completely dead!

SOOOOOO........we pulled the head.......hoping, just hoping that it had sucked the head gasket.............NOPE....couldn't be that simple!

The bottom end of what I thought was an awesome motor is SHOT!!!!! It is pretty obvious that because of the abuse someone has handed this motor, time and time again finally took it's tole...I'd heard thru the grapevine that it had gotten pretty hot a few times, but never dreamed this.

The best we can tell is that because it sat for as long as it did, there was water that became rusty on the pistons and when the engine got to temperature the rings went...........

Please don't tell me I should have put a Ford in it.....trust me, no one needs to tell me this......and quite frankly I don't know if my nerves could handle it.

We're picking up a new long block this morning and we're going to work like mad men to complete it ONCE again! Unfortunately, I do not have time to go with a ford engine. Too many wiring woohs and adapters to make it work at this stage in the game. That will happen sometime next year....>TRUST ME!!!!

Dale

Attachments

• Engine diagnosis.jpg
    Engine diagnosis.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Rear rack.jpg
    Rear rack.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Rear winch bumper2.jpg
    Rear winch bumper2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 79
  • Rear winch bumper.jpg
    Rear winch bumper.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Rear view.jpg
    Rear view.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Engine diagnosis2.jpg
    Engine diagnosis2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 114

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
I feel your pain Dale. Nothing like working so hard on something just to have the very heart of the beast die on you. Is Pepe still talking to you?;D

2Broncos2Go

Bronco Guru
:eek: :p
I have the feeling we won't be hearing much from the
Bowhunter today....it's hard to work on something
and be on the computer too...
Good Luck Dale...we await the good word

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Found a BRAND new, performance, crate-motor in tulsa......steve will be picking it up at 3:30 today..........which means that tomorrow morning will be the start of some pretty serious work ahead of us. He and I are both bound and determined to have this thing running again by Monday evening. The really good news in all of this BAD news is that the really time consuming and complicated stuff is done, i.e. electrical, computers, brakes, plumbing etc. It should be as easy as disassembling and reinstalling. We're looking at about 20 hours straight!!!

But - I will not leave the house without Quarter Horse behind me......no matter what!!!!!

The really unfortunate part is that I will have to take it easy for a day or two so I can somewhat break in a BRAND new engine.

Dale

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
Found a BRAND new, performance, crate-motor in tulsa......steve will be picking it up at 3:30 today..........which means that tomorrow morning will be the start of some pretty serious work ahead of us. He and I are both bound and determined to have this thing running again by Monday evening. The really good news in all of this BAD news is that the really time consuming and complicated stuff is done, i.e. electrical, computers, brakes, plumbing etc. It should be as easy as disassembling and reinstalling. We're looking at about 20 hours straight!!!

But - I will not leave the house without Quarter Horse behind me......no matter what!!!!!

The really unfortunate part is that I will have to take it easy for a day or two so I can somewhat break in a BRAND new engine.

Dale

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Sorry to hear that, Gordon filled me in this morning.

Good luck on the mad thrash, if you need anything, give me a call.

If all else fails, Big red is sitting here ready to go, Hes yours for the week if you need him. It may not be a bronco, but it does have a 5.0 in it.

2Broncos2Go

Bronco Guru
hey now! - you're forgetting Pepe!!!!
poor lil fella.....

GOOD LUCK DALE!!!

Here at Headquarters we're taking a break to celebrate
my mom-in-laws 80th Bday! then will be back at the
stuffin, printin, etc!!!!
will check in later!

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
Dale,

I've got an empty seat in the Big One!!!

or

You can ride with Emily. She could use a spotter and a beer fetcher!!

Just Kidding.

Did you get my letter with the passport in it? You'll need that to check in.

See You Wednesday.

Call me with any questions.

Stephen

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
i remember when you wrote when this motor went you'd put an oval in... and like the verrrrry next post sum-1 said they hope'd it blew quick...

THAT PERSON blew their "I HOPE" that came true on yer bow tie when they should have went & got a loto tickette! So, at-least there's that... that guy could have been a millionare 300x over ;) so in that way... that guy's out more than you.

LoL-
seriously, SUX to hear about the string of bad luck! glad to see yer taking it in stride. I suppose things could have been worse if it blew at disney tho :(

GOOD LUCK on the new motor install! I hope it goes smoothly!

-take care-

:cool:

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
I know I said that if the motor ever crashed I would put in a Ford.....but, under the circumstances.......I do not have time to find an engine and make all the other necessary mods to get to OCBR.......after all, OCBR is the whole reason this project began in the first place!!

Here's my logic......at least this way, I'll have a brand-new, performance, GM motor that I can remove sometime next year and then sell to help finance the blue oval transplant.

And yes......the good news in all the bad is that it happened here instead of on the first trail and that it happened early enough that I was able to find another long block (that was tricky in itself).

I appreciate everyone and your willingness to help out and/or offer me rides.......we'll see how it goes!!!!

Dale